Jul 04, 2019, 08:46 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Discussion

New SRXL2 Spektrum Receivers coming - AR6610T, AR637T, SPM9747

fccid.io has filings for some new toys from Spektrum

The AR6610T

6 ch, end pin, button bind, carbon friendly antennas, voltage, X-Bus & SRXL2 remote ports only. Looks to replace both the AR6600T and AR6270T.

The bind/data port becomes bind/prog/SRXL2, so finally some serial output on a lower-channel count receiver.

Also this receiver has a built-in Vario

https://fccid.io/BRWTIARLGTNNG/Users...Manual-4301050

The AR637T

This is the big one IMHO

Same physical case as the AR6610T, full range telemetry with voltage & sensor ports, SRXL2 receiver support. AS3X & SAFE.

Same Bind/Prog/SRXL2 port, but the Throttle port is also SRXL2, which I suspect is to support the new SMART Throttle feature. This indicates that Spektrum will be releasing SRXL2 ESC's with telemetry, including SMART battery data passthru (something I pointed out was needed the day the SMART battery stuff was released. I hope this will be supported on any SRXL2 port.

Huge upgrade over the AR636 as a retail product. Everything that I've called out as a miss on the 636 is fixed here (Telemetry range, sensor ports)

And glider guys: This has a built-in Vario :-)

https://fccid.io/BRWTIARLGTNG1/Users...Manual-4301000

AR636B

Just an updated version of the AR636, likely for BnF's.

https://fccid.io/BRWDASRX21/User-Man...Manual-4303885

SPM9747 SRXL2 Remote receiver.

No FCC filing out yet, but it's referenced in the AR637T manual. Largely what it says on the tin, a SRXL2 Remote receiver. Looks like Spektrum is wisely eliminating their multiple older single-line protocols (Spektrum Remote Receiver Protocol, SRXL) for a single and more flexible bidirectional protocol (SRXL2).

And of course, clearly some new SMART Telemetry ESC's coming. Hopefully also including forward programming (which an SRXL2 interface should allow).
Last edited by mawz; Jul 04, 2019 at 11:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2019, 08:48 AM
Information on SRXL2 is available from the SPM4650 product page.

Andy
Jul 04, 2019, 09:13 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Information on SRXL2 is available from the SPM4650 product page.

Andy
Which is good to note.

Even more info here:

https://github.com/SpektrumRC/SRXL2
Jul 04, 2019, 09:40 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Couple interesting notes from the SRXL2 spec:

SRXL2 Servo is a defined device type, as is RX, Remote RX, FC, ESC and VTX. Guess single-line servos are coming (please be thin wing servos suitable for ailerons & flaps on sailplanes)

32 channels are supported, with 16 bit precision possible.

Spec is posted as an doc on Github. I really like the looks of this protocol, but would like to see Telemetry Device become a valid device type so a true one-wire aircraft bus is possible (maybe for SRXL3 ;-) )
Jul 04, 2019, 10:20 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Hmm,

given that SRXL2 SMART ESC's are coming, that means it's likely you can use the AR6610T and AR637T as 7ch receivers, as you should be able to plug the throttle into Bind/Prog/SRXL2 if using an SRXL2 ESC.

Hopefully assigning throttle channel to the SMART ESC will be relatively easy (or conversely, remapping the receiver ports so that ch1 on the receiver is putting out say ch7 from the TX).

Also we need an SRXL2 to PWM decoder, single and say 4ch forms. Should be an interesting Arduino project ;-)
Jul 04, 2019, 11:50 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Other interesting SRXL2 tidbits.

The SRXL2 protocol supports 16 devices of each type except servos, there are enough device ID's for 32 servos.

Assuming the Receiver will accept data from any valid device on any valid SRXL2 port, you could quite easily put remotes just about anywhere in the aircraft while sharing the wiring with SRXL2 servos and/or ESC's.
Jul 04, 2019, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
... but would like to see Telemetry Device become a valid device type so a true one-wire aircraft bus is possible (maybe for SRXL3 ;-) )
Not a need. They fit within the protocol already; they don't need to be called out special.

You could use FC as a data hub if you like. That's how our teamed companies are doing it.

Andy
Jul 04, 2019, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Also we need an SRXL2 to PWM decoder, single and say 4ch forms. Should be an interesting Arduino project ;-)
Arduino is a waste of horsepower. Denny will probably make one of these with a PIC. I did it with a PIC12LF1572, though that is cramped on ROM.

Andy
Jul 04, 2019, 12:34 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Arduino is a waste of horsepower. Denny will probably make one of these with a PIC. I did it with a PIC12LF1572, though that is cramped on ROM.

Andy
Yeah, but it's great for quick prototyping.

A PIC would definitely be better for something that will fly.
Jul 04, 2019, 12:41 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Not a need. They fit within the protocol already; they don't need to be called out special.

You could use FC as a data hub if you like. That's how our teamed companies are doing it.

Andy
How do they fit? There's no device type defined for telemetry sensors in the SRXL2 spec.

Telemetry conversation is defined, and is the same format as X-Bus but unless the sensor is masquerading as an ESC or FC, there's no valid device type for them to use currently.

I'd guess that the referenced converted in the docs is probably using an FC Device Type, as a data hub.
Jul 04, 2019, 01:22 PM
The 637T has the built in vario?
Jul 04, 2019, 01:34 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
The 637T has the built in vario?

yes,

And the 6610T too based on the manual.
Jul 04, 2019, 01:57 PM
Quote:
How do they fit? There's no device type defined for telemetry sensors in the SRXL2 spec.
EVERYTHING is a telemetry sensor, Adam. Everything.

When you talk to a device, it can respond with telemetry data. There's no need for a "telemetry" device.

Andy
Jul 04, 2019, 02:02 PM
I'm going to leave the discussions of SRXL2 to Miguel, since he's actually worked with it more than I while helping folks at other companies.

My interfacing with it has been using a remote receiver as a slave device. I wrote the original spec for what would become SRXL2, and then we hired a guy to implement it (MWO in the rev log). He used that as a baseline and then took it way beyond what Miguel and I had time to do, way beyond.

Andy
Jul 04, 2019, 02:03 PM
Oh cool, I missed that that in the manual

Quick Reply