This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 10, 2019, 09:30 AM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Best of luck Team USA!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2019, 12:48 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
We all made it to the hotel.
A quick trip to the field.
It's a very big field. Treelines two directions that are unreachable, third treeline in the West is very far away. Trees and structures to the north including hangar buildings.
Going to be an open field contest.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jul 10, 2019, 12:57 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Trying to get settled in to our room. Just completed a full check of my gliders and all are perfect. Really really tired but trying to stay up to get on Hungary time zone ASAP. Had some Pizza earlier and then headed out to check out the field. Tomorrow is a practice day and then the Pre-contest contest is Friday and Saturday.
Jul 10, 2019, 03:07 PM
We filled up the Citroen, four of us got in there too.
Ordering pizza has some challenges, kinda like roullete pizza.
Practice tomorrow.
The field is on an active runway. Practice will halt tomorrow midmorning for a half hour for full scale activity.
Interesting week shaping up.
Jul 10, 2019, 03:40 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Good luck everyone and enjoy.
Jul 10, 2019, 03:41 PM
F3B and F3K
Thanks so much for the reporting so far.

Glad you all made it to the hotel and field! Always hard after a long flight to get rental car and stuff figured out.

Get some rest and a feel for the field tomorrow!

Good luck to you all!

Reto
Jul 11, 2019, 07:35 AM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
That shower looks less than Gorilla size. Have fun guys!
Jul 11, 2019, 07:53 AM
Practice day. 2:45 pm. Wind 6.3 m/s sustained, 10.2 m/s peak.
I was flying with 135g in my 225g CX5, and it was not enough.
Jul 11, 2019, 09:01 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I can't imagine being able to get a ground read in that kind of air. You guys that can amaze me.
Jul 11, 2019, 11:18 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Great day of practice and getting a feel for the air. Open field and high winds are super tough. Finding the limits and seeing what 320+g planes can do is quite fun and hard on the arms. Itís going to be a killer contest!

Most everyoneís planes are in good shape. Toby has a mid air late in the day and damaged a wing pretty good. Itís getting repaired tonight and should be good to go for tomorrow.

Tomorrow we fly the Budapest Cup which is a Pre-contest for two days. Then model check in on Sunday and Monday starts the World Championships.
Jul 11, 2019, 11:24 AM
We found groceries.
Jason thinks he bought milk, but the rest of car thinks it's bull semen.
Test tasting report tomorrow.
Jul 11, 2019, 11:37 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Going to be an open field contest.
As it should be. Best of luck to you guys.
Jul 11, 2019, 11:51 AM
Mike M.
Take it easy in the cup contest. Don't wear yourself out, or damage any planes. Keep it casual. Just get a feel for the field and study the local air conditions and how they cycle and change throughout the day. Make some notes. Play with ballast and settings, and get the nervousness out of your system. Basically just prepare for the wc on Monday, and don't worry about how you perform in the cup. Fine tune your gear, have fun, and meet some people.

Weather forecast looks pretty mild, but still spend a lot of time in the shade. A full week being outside all day can sap your energy. Looks like maybe some rain over the weekend, but M-F next week looks nice.

Good Luck to you all!

P.S. Jason, go easy on the bull semen, and the Twix...
Jul 11, 2019, 12:01 PM
If the conditions today continue Hungary will become the land of the brave.
Sunshine, a few clouds, big lift, and big wind.
Quote from RoyDor "there's really big lift, but even bigger wind."
Great thermals going what seemed like 30 mph. I could go forward in cruise with 135g, but not real fast.
Roy was auw of 370g at the same time as an example.
The game is going to be go high, go deep.
Those with the best skills of judging "am I climbing fast enough to get home" will be the ones to beat.
Unlikely that this contest will be decided on turnarounds.
Cup starts at 8 am. 134 pilots, 9 heats with 15 or 16 pilots per heat.
Reports as I can, starting around 3am eastern time.
Last edited by mnowell129; Jul 11, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Jul 11, 2019, 12:06 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Mickey, Jason, thanks for the updates!!!
Good luck to y'all tomorrow!
Keep Toby from breaking planes, if you can.

Quick Reply