USA F3K World Championships Event Coverage

The 2019 FAI F3K World Championships are taking place on July 15-19 and we are sending 3 Seniors and 3 Juniors to compete for Team USA. I'm honored to be on the team and excited for the journey. This is my first World Championship contest and I know it will be an experience I'll never forget.

Splash

World Championship Event Coverage Thread

The 2019 FAI F3K World Championships are taking place on July 15-19 and we are sending 3 Seniors and 3 Juniors to compete for Team USA. I'm honored to be on the team and excited for the journey. This is my first World Championship contest and I know it will be an experience I'll never forget.

This thread will serve as a place for me to provide event coverage while traveling, preparing and during the event. I'll be posting photos and my thoughts along the way so please subscribe to this thread to get notified of updates. Wish us luck as we head to Hungary!

Seniors

• Toby Herrera
  • Nathan Bartley
  • Jason Cole

Juniors

• Noah Myers
  • Owen Haugh
  • Paul Reese

Team Managers

• Mickey Nowell
  • Scott Myers

Jul 03, 2019, 09:24 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I'll start out by saying I had no idea how much goes into getting ready for this contest. You want to have 5 planes ready and then you have to make sure they fit the parameters, get your FAI license and put the number on the plane, label all the removable parts and add another card to the model as well. It's a lot to take in at first, but thanks to Mickey for guiding me through the process. I had my plane tickets booked right away, got my international drivers permit, Global Entry, etc all squared away and then focused on my new CX5 planes.

I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I'm building the final two planes right now with less than a week before I leave, but should be testing them by Friday. It's going to be a whirlwind, but I can't wait to see what it's all about and hope to be able to share in some way what it is like to attend and compete at this level. Super big thanks to all who have donated and help support the team to get there, we literally couldn't do it without you.

I came up with a catch phrase at the Possum Toss this past weekend that I'm going to apply at the World Championships. While I have a super competitive personality, I'm going in with the attitude of "You can't lose if you're having fun!" The plan is to stay loose, enjoy the experience and do the best I can each round.

Stay tuned for more as I finish these planes and then start packing up for the trip.
Jul 03, 2019, 09:35 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Jason, the WC is an intense experience. Delegate as much as you can so you can focus on your flying.

Don't feel like you have to frequently post here unless you want to. You'll have plenty for your mind to absorb.
Jul 03, 2019, 09:43 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice Tom. See ya at the NATS!
Jul 03, 2019, 09:55 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Good luck Jason and all of Team USA !!!
Toby, Nathan, Noah, Owen, Paul!
We are always with you in spirit.
Have fun, and think of it as just another huge contest.
Mickey will keep you square, so you'll be fine.
Jul 03, 2019, 07:57 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Best of luck to all the team, and especially to my neighbor, Nathan!
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Jul 04, 2019, 01:12 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Getting packed now. Glad the planes fit.
Jul 05, 2019, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
Jason, the WC is an intense experience. Delegate as much as you can so you can focus on your flying.

Don't feel like you have to frequently post here unless you want to. You'll have plenty for your mind to absorb.
I'd like to echo that sentiment. Enjoy your time at the WC!
Jul 05, 2019, 07:19 AM
Ready to go!
see you there...
Jul 05, 2019, 07:52 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Nice! Love how small that box is with two piece wings. See ya next week!!
Jul 05, 2019, 08:24 AM
Yea... it's really really amazing!
Jul 06, 2019, 02:55 PM
F3B and F3K
Safe travels to everyone!

Good luck to Tobey, Nathan, Jason, Noah, Owen and Paul! You guys are a great and capable team, go kick some butt and have fun!

Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Jul 07, 2019, 04:00 PM
Soar high, huck low
Go get 'em guys!
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Jul 08, 2019, 01:31 AM
Mike M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
...I'm nervous and excited all at the same time...

I came up with a catch phrase at the Possum Toss this past weekend that I'm going to apply at the World Championships. While I have a super competitive personality, I'm going in with the attitude of "You can't lose if you're having fun!" The plan is to stay loose, enjoy the experience and do the best I can each round...
My best advise is to do exactly as your catch phrase stated above. That's spot on.

- Don't let a bad round play with your head. You might feel like making a mistake or two means it's over for you. But don't think that way. Nobody expects perfection. Every round is a brand new contest, and every score not only applies to your individual total but to the team's as well. Just focus on team success, and don't worry too much about your own. Start each round with a positive attitude, and stay upbeat no matter what. I know it's easier said than done...

- Don't be nervous. I've flown with you (and all the team members), and I guarantee you guys CAN compete on this stage and with these pilots; and deserve to be there. Don't fear anyone or anything. The competition is intense, but it's all just a game in the end. You will be astonished at the quality and level of competition, but be confident that you are one of the best and belong there. You earned the right, and are a force to be reckoned with.

- Have fun! Make lots of new friends from around the world. This is one of the very best things about the wc.

- Be a high quality representative of the USA in every way, on and off the field. Exercise good judgement and good sportsmanship.

- Be helpful to the team, and do all you can to assist Mickey & Scott however you can. They have a lot to coordinate, and really appreciate cooperative team members they can depend on. There is so much more to this trip than just the flying.

- Assist the juniors and help them succeed. Noah and Owen are returning alumni, so they should be great this year with their past experience and improved skills. And Paul should be very strong as well. But there is still much you can teach them, and help build their confidence. I'm really excited for the Jr team's chances to make the podium this year.

- Be super careful during the open flying and warm-up/practice times. There will be way more people on the field and planes in the air all at once than you have ever seen before, by far! It gets pretty crazy at times, and it's easy to damage your equipment. This is understandable during the heat of a competition round when you have to go for it, and bad things might happen. Scars sustained in the heat of battle are worn with honor. But practice time damage sucks, and is unnecessary; and can be a negative physical and mental blow to your equipment, attitude, and mood. So play it safe during practice time.

- Soak it all in. It's a special experience. Maybe a once-in-a-lifetime... So make the most of it.

GOOD LUCK to you guys! I'll be watching and cheering you on from the homeland.

GO USA!
Jul 08, 2019, 07:05 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks Mike! Love that post.

Quick Reply