Jul 03, 2019, 01:38 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Homemade 2.5m RC glider

Hello

I'm new here. I wanted to show my Homemade R/C Glider that I am going to fly it sometime this weekend.

It has 2.5 m wingspan and made out of foam. Wings are cut with hot wire foam cutter.
It weighs 1.24 Kg (or) 43.74 oz
Wing Loading - 0.255 gram/sq.cm (or) 8.378 oz/sq.ft
I did a glide test with it and it glides nice and slow.

This is what my glider looks like :-
Do you like it??

And I am basically a newbie pilot. I only did a couple of minutes of flight time with my self designed R/C trainer
I am a little nervous. So, do you have any suggestions for a successful maiden flight?? Thanks
Last edited by Aaindthu; Jul 03, 2019 at 01:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2019, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaindthu
And I am basically a newbie pilot. I only did a couple of minutes of flight time.
I am a little nervous. So, do you have any suggestions for a successful maiden flight?? Thanks
You asked for suggestions:
Do NOT fly that airplane. With only two minutes flight time you are definitely going to crash it and probably damage it significantly.
Build one of the super simple beginner airplanes (there are several popular designs right here on this site) and practice with that first.
You can simply remove the electronics from that for the beginner airplane if you can't get duplicates.
Jul 03, 2019, 02:25 AM
Thread OP
"nuteman"

thank you for your reply. But, why? This is just a GLIDER. I mean it's not an EDF jet or delta plane.

And it is going to fly slow. What could possibly go wrong?

Please do watch my video of flying my homemade RC trainer plane

Homemade RC Plane from India, Maiden flight (2 min 23 sec)
Jul 03, 2019, 04:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
You asked for suggestions:
Do NOT fly that airplane. With only two minutes flight time you are definitely going to crash it and probably damage it significantly.
Build one of the super simple beginner airplanes (there are several popular designs right here on this site) and practice with that first.
You can simply remove the electronics from that for the beginner airplane if you can't get duplicates.
Thank you for your reply.

But why?? I mean, it's not some edf jet or delta wing. It's just a glider. What could possibly go wrong??
Last edited by Aaindthu; Jul 03, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
Jul 03, 2019, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaindthu
Thank you for your reply.

But why?? I mean, it's not some edf jet or delta wing. It's just a glider. What could possibly go wrong??
I could go into all the technical talk (high aspect ratio, tail volume, etc, etc.) and all the practical issues (nose mounted motor/prop getting bashed on crashes, etc.), but the bottom line is:
You're plane is not appropriate for a beginner. A beginner will crash MANY times - even if it's a beginner airplane - so you might as well do the bulk of your crashing on a super simple, easy to build/fly/repair airplane.
This has been discussed to death on this site - a simple search will give you all the detailed explanations about what kind of plane a beginner should fly.
Jul 03, 2019, 07:01 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
You obviously have some knowledge to have made a model that basically 'looks right'.

Does it have ailerons ?

It's difficult to see in the photo. there does appear to be a possible hinge line. If it doesn't have ailerons it will quite likely crash, if relying on rudder without some wing dihedral.

If possible, video the flight, it's good news when someone proves they can build and fly from scratch, you obviously have put some effort and thought in to it.

Jul 03, 2019, 07:06 AM
treefinder
Aaindthu, welcome to RCG and Foamies! Your plane looks great, a very well executed foamie. I suspect that is why nuteman is taking the conservative approach and wanting you to learn to fly well on a more "disposable " plane. Over the years a lot of guys have posted with their first plane, and tried to fly it, failed and eventually gave up the hobby. This more frequently because they didn't get a chance to learn the sticks and how to fly than that the plane wouldn't fly right. So I understand where he's coming from. However, you say that you already have time on a trainer you built, so you may already be well on the way of learning the sticks. Regarding that earlier plane, does it fly well? If so, I with nuteman suggest you do as much practice with it as you can. You want to fly it til you can do all the basic maneuvers and it almost becomes boring. This includes flying away from you and toward you (mentally flying from the cockpit ), controlled turns at constant attitude, flying it where you want it to go, not wherever it wanders, etc. Once you are confident of your ability to control, fly this nice glider.
Now, if you think you are already confident with the trainer, and are ready for your new plane, here are some thoughts: you already did a glide test. When you did it did the plane glide straight? No rolls to left or right, no pitching nose up then dropping, no nose into the ground, just a smooth, straight flat glide? Anything other than the flat glide indicates trim or CG/balance issue that should be corrected first. After corrections, double check to make sure all control surfaces go the right direction. Try a gentle hand launch with maybe 1/4 throttle (essentially a powered glide). Watch for how it handles power. Look for same "issues" as before, like pitching up or down, which will be motor thrust line caused, for instance. If that goes well, try another low powered flight with enough power to maintain altitude and try gentle turns both right and left. You want to go slowly into flying her to find "what could possibly go wrong" before it does catastrophically!

Now, with all this "guidance" I am assuming that you have a mental attitude that "it's only foam" and are willing to fix it when you crash even on the maiden. Foam is great because it breaks into big easily repairable pieces. Remember that! If you aren't yet willing to sacrifice your nice looking glider to learning, spend more time on your trainer or one of the other quick build trainer types in this forum.

Good luck! It can be an adventure, and an addiction! (He says sitting in work room with plane number 200 and some on the bench)
Last edited by springer; Jul 03, 2019 at 07:12 AM.
Jul 03, 2019, 07:17 AM
treefinder
Another thought, spinning off Ray's comment. I also assumed I saw ailerons. Looks like a flat, no dihedral low wing , so no "centering" by dihedral effect. That means you must control into turns and out of turns, roll, etc. A little tougher than with dihedral, but it should react slowly with the high aspect ratio wing so if you think ahead and go easy should be manageable.
Jul 03, 2019, 11:43 AM
For a complete beginner I think you are doing really well and building some pretty nice planes.

I suggest getting a simulator ( Picasim is a good free one ) to get more practice, and until you can land gently, landing on grass instead of the packed dirt to keep small rocks out of the motor.
Jul 03, 2019, 02:13 PM
treefinder
Aaindthu, just looked at your video, You did well with the trainer! I would agree with the others that practice could help before flying another plane that will no doubt behave differently, though. I would fly the daylights out of your trainer. work on takeoffs and flying slow and in control, fast in control, etc. When you can fly comfortably at a single altitude and turn maintaining that altitude, You can take on another plane easily.

Another great build job, by the way!
Jul 03, 2019, 03:33 PM
When you magnify the image of the powered glider one can definitely make out two separate moving surfaces on the trailing edge of each wing.

I assume you are working with the materials (foam) that is available to you..... and both models look to me to arguably flyable models... any and all would no doubt do some things differently, with perhaps adding a bit of wing dihedral (if that is not already present) fairly basic to add a bit of latent stability and lessen the workload on the pilot to more constantly entering input to correct flight trajectory.

If this model flies slower than your the first plane, flight control should be more relaxing.

good luck

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Jul 03, 2019, 07:18 PM
Rough Landing
I certainly admire you building skill, BUT after watching the video of your trainer flight, I think you need some more stick time on the trainer first. You did fly it and land it, but you need a little more time on the sticks to smooth things out. Regardless, for a beginner, I am impressed with what you have done so far.
Jul 03, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
sorry, I just woke up and saw all your replies. Thank you so much! let me clarify,

Yes, my glider has ailerons running upto like, 3/4 th of the span of each wing and they are mixed to function as flaps as well. And these flaperons are too long to be called 'inboard' (IMO) and they are not at the wing tips either. I hope it works

I also did a glide test. This glider does glide nice and straight (without camber). I also did a glide test with slight amount of camber and the glider was pitching up for a brief amount of time and then pointing down and landed nice and slow. CG is at 30% of the chord length from the leading edge.

I did spend some time in RCdeskpilot simulator.
Also, in the video, my trainer plane was very nose heavy. That's the reason why it was going all up and down.

This is what I am going to do to fly safely and avoid crashing :- I am going to gain some height. That's the first thing I am going to do, after launching it.
Because, it will give me some time to recover from any unwanted or dangerous maneuvers, if any.

So, that's my plan to fly safely. Fly high and away from the ground.
Last edited by Aaindthu; Jul 03, 2019 at 11:58 PM.
Jul 04, 2019, 06:23 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Beautiful work, have fun !

Don't do any sudden moves, don't take speed, large soft foam wings could be unpredictable when pushed too much.
Jul 07, 2019, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
I launched the glider yesterday and it did not fly as expected. There was no pilot error. The problem was in the design. The angle of incidence was too much. So much that at first I thought it was tail heavy!!

I am going to give it another shot - next week.

Not going to give up, love this hobby very much.

Quick Reply