Jul 02, 2019, 06:59 PM
Old Newb
Thread OP
Discussion

First composite DLG

I probably should give a brief background.
Iím a 60 year old relative newbie of 4 years. I mainly fly foam slopers. As a shift worker I canít access regular RC clubs and have to use crash and learn technology. I have limited build experience but fairly skilled in TX setup. Running a Spektrum DX9.

Flying Dream-Flite Alula and Libelle discus launched from a field near home brings me a great deal of pleasure and gets me out of the house. Quite happy to spend 3-4 hours there, toss and catch.

Figured itís time to jump up to a composite DLG, here lies the problem. I have no idea what to buy?

Iím at an age where I can afford something nice, but on the other hand. Watching a 1800 USD DLG spear into the ground wonít be pretty.

Iím leaning to one of the 1 metre models simply as a cost effective jump, thinking I may crash the thing. Readily available crash parts would be good.

Iíd appreciate some suggestions on a purchase.

Many thanks
Bill Snape
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2019, 07:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Bill,

If 1800 USD means one thousand eight hundred US dollars, they don't cost that much, even new. At least they don’t here in the US. I have a friend that has what looks like a nearly new Polaris. If you’re interested in a very nice used plane, I’ll put the two of you in touch with each other. I don’t know what he’s asking but I’ll bet it’s in the $500 or less range.
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
Jul 02, 2019, 08:11 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Considering that Bill is Down Under, I would suggest a kit from a vendor which ships world wide. Coming frome a Libelle and Alula, I would suggest a new Deviant 1M from Armsoar. Easy to build out and flies amazingly well.

Other possibilities would be the Malibu, Hawk, or Strike 3, all of which I think are available from Hyperflight.
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jul 02, 2019, 08:12 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I don't know how things work in Australia. If you were in the US I would suggest posting feelers out for something used. If used isn't an option then I don't know if you can get stuff shipped from Hyper Flight but they have a lot of nice stuff. I have seen the 1 meter Hawk fly and it is really nice for the money. Or you could go a little more and get a decent 1.5 meter model from Neil. But if used is an option then that is definitely a great way to go. The model will have servos and be all setup for you and what not.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jul 02, 2019, 09:55 PM
Old Newb
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
Bill,

If 1800 USD means one thousand eight hundred US dollars
Thanks, youíre quite correct. That should have read AU dollars
I can buy a Snipe 2 here for $1250, then add servos and wing bags and batteries. Shipping
Itís scary how fast it adds up.
Postage from the States and Canada is quite often more expensive than the product. Certainly takes the fun out of things.
Jul 02, 2019, 10:04 PM
Old Newb
Thread OP
Thanks Ryan and Wayne
I actually had my eye on the Deviant and I’ll check out Hyper Flight.

Apart from the size difference, why 1 or 1.5 metre? Do they fly differently?
Not trying to be obtuse here. I’ve never seen a composite glider in the flesh, only on YouTube.
Jul 03, 2019, 01:51 AM
Hey Bill,
I have a Vibe1 in flyable condition if you would like it.
Accept it as a taster of what a 1.5m plane feels like.
Older design now but still fun to fly.
I'm not that far from you and if you would like to cover postage it's yours.

Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,
Paul
Jul 03, 2019, 07:31 AM
Wayne Wimbish
That is a sweet deal! The Vibe 1 is a really nice 1st dlg. I'm sure you'll love it.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jul 03, 2019, 06:06 PM
Old Newb
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloh
Hey Bill,
I have a Vibe1 in flyable condition if you would like it.
Paul
Thank you Paul.
Thatís a helluva nice gesture, very generous.
Iíd be silly to knock you back. I can reimburse you via Paypal or direct deposit?

Perhaps even better. I could pick it up in person and pick your brain on some base settings?
My next RDOís are 12th , 13th and 14th of July?

Thank you again
Bill Snape
Jul 03, 2019, 07:28 PM
Great Bill,
Pleasure to help out and glad the Vibe will be flying again instead of sitting in my workshop waiting.

I'm actually heading through Picton next Monday morning on my way to the south coast for a couple of days of the school hols.

I could drop it in on the way past or, alternatively, I'll be home again by the 12th/13th if you want to come up here.

Pm me and we'll sort out the details.

Kind regards,
Paul
Jul 06, 2019, 01:34 AM
plays with toy planes
This thread.
Jul 06, 2019, 01:46 PM
Was hoping this discussion would continue in the direction the OP had started. Glad he got his first composite DLG however. I’m in a similar situation with wanting to make the right decision on my first DLG. Recently having owned much larger gliders ( FH Pulsar 3.6 and Osprey from Soaring USA) I’m familiar with the performance differences the upper end composites can offer.

Would like to here more perspective on 1m vs 1.5m. Which is the better overall choice for a first composite DLG and why.
Also would love to know everyone’s thoughts on which of the current 2018/2019 models are worth considering for entry level but with a fair amount of glider experience regardless of where I live or budget.
Jul 06, 2019, 03:53 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by german88
Would like to here more perspective on 1m vs 1.5m. Which is the better overall choice for a first composite DLG and why.
If you are knowledgable about larger higher end composite models you know that bigger tends to fly better. All things equal the bigger model will fly better. That said the 1 meter models have a few advantages too. Cost (less materials), smaller size (fits in smaller cars/transport places possibly cheaper to ship), and for some throwers I believe that a smaller model will be easier to throw (and way less likely for a tip strike).

For most folks starting out a well trimmed out used model is probably the way to go. If a person is opposed to a used model or has no reasonable way to get a used model and has a lot of experience with gliders then just about any modern new composite model would be great. I could imagine that a 1.5 meter DLG might be a little easier to install gear in (of course that could vary on a model to model basis).

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jul 06, 2019, 06:14 PM
My take on it is that the 1.5m planes just have better performance over the 1.0m models hands down.
I find the 1m size can be fun, but given a choice I will always prefer the 1.5 and go back to it pretty quickly as the 1m just seems to reinforce the difference in glide time and feel.
If it is a transport and price decision then the scales tip the other way, but from a flying experience it's all one way traffic for me.
Others have their own take of course.

I do not think that any of the current models fly badly, they are all fantastic as far as my experiences go.
The differences are in the small personal preferences, slightly different feeling in the different conditions and what you like the look of.
You would need to buy and try them to notice any of the differences and if this is your first one then just pick the one that you like.
Perhaps consider what others around you fly ( then you can talk about the subtle nuances of setup), or what you can get easily if you are not in the mood to wait for an order to be made.

I've flown the Snipe2, BAMF, Vortex 3, NRJ and have just maidened a Falcon. They are all great planes. All beautifully built and all a little different and any would make a great first plane.

Not sure this helps, but if you start with one you love the look of, it will naturally fly really really well.

Regards,
Paul
Jul 07, 2019, 01:59 AM
I would also add the Flitz2.

The 2 piece wing option means it will fit in a1m box as the fuselage is less than 1m.

I use the case https://www.airsoftstore.online/en/s...ase-105cm.html

I think only the NRJ has fuselage les than 1m, but as yet they not offering a 2 piece wing.

Quick Reply