Jul 31, 2019, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH2016
Have joined the wings, sheeted the center section, sheeted bottom of the fuselage. Still haven't come up with design for a tank compartment hatch, maybe copy the Wonder's servo compartment hatch with tongue at back and holdown screws at front. Still a long way to having an airplane. $TF n hot glue has spoiled me.

The plans call for nyrods for elevator and rudder. I have never used nyrods. On this small model, plan using dowels with wire on each end. Thoughts?
Like a pull/pull? That would probably be the lightest option.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2019, 03:13 PM
Thread OP

Back to the build...

I have managed to find some time to work on this plane some more. Wings joined, tail feathers framed. Motor mount attached, will mount the engine after the airplane is completed through covering so can maybe trim balance with engine position on the beams. Fuel tank compartment and firewall fuel proofed. Ordered hardware for pushrods, landing gear.

Decided to build a hatch in the front with a cover attached with screws, rather than covering up the fuel tank. In my glow fuel days, always wondered if the tank was leaking, so always made tank compartment accessible. Strangely, never had one leak. Maybe similar to carrying an umbrella prevents rain?

My next steps are to fit the servos and control linkages before planking the top and bottom of the fuselage.

Some questions about the 1/32" ply wing tip. I am guessing the intent of them was to confine air flow over the wing? Don't recall ever encountering this, wonder what impact would be of conventional tips shaped from balsa blocks. Using the tips as shown, how should the wing covering be dressed at the tips?
Sep 06, 2019, 06:50 PM
I doubt any tip shape would make any noticeable difference in flight. Just something to talk about at the field. You can stretch the covering over the tips as is. If it won't meet up neatly in the centre, then another airfoiled piece can be added over the top. Little slits can be made on the sharper corners to eliminate wrinkles.
Oct 05, 2019, 12:30 PM
Thread OP

Wing completed...

I finished the wing and installed the aileron servo with linkages. Hopefully will remember to CA the hinges lol. I should have followed my original impulse to cover the wings and the tips separately. The problem with installing the tips first is that the covering has to follow a concave surface. Stretching the covering over the end rib, covering the tip plate, trimming off some covering where the inside of tip plate and outside of end rib would be glued would have worked much better. Doubt the flying is affected much either way.

Built a landing gear and covered the tail feathers. Next will install the control linkages in the fuselage, plank, shape and sand the fuselage.
Oct 07, 2019, 09:10 AM
Looks great! You will like the way it flies! My favorite maneuvers are spins and inside loops with a snap at the top.
Oct 13, 2019, 03:03 PM
Thread OP

Servos etc.

Somehow the last 20% takes me 80% of the time. I have been installing control linkages, servos, fitting tank etc into the fuselage. One little gadget that have had for awhile but never used until now is a servo exerciser. Sure takes some of the guesswork out of setting up the servos. Picture shows the results.

I think am ready to plank the fuselage, sand and cover it. The last 5% likely take 20% of the time I suppose.
Oct 13, 2019, 03:34 PM
Nitro User
I like the grommets on the servos, who makes those?
Blew up the pic but it gets blurry looks like JR?
Oct 14, 2019, 04:55 AM
Thread OP
Those are Hitec HS-81 servos. I have used them and HS-55 for lighter service for about 15 years. The grommets come in the box with the servos and they are made specifically for them, doubt they would fit any other brand.
Oct 14, 2019, 07:48 AM
Nitro User
Ok thanks I have been using what is shown in the pics here as of late.
.09 and up tends to produce some vibrations requiring isolation mounting.
Always on the lookout for anything smaller / less weight with good torque
numbers.

HS-81 servo
SPECIFICATIONS
Transit Speed: 0.11 sec/60 @ 4.8V
0.09 sec/60 @ 6.0V
Output Torque: 36.10 oz-in @ 4.8V (2.6 kg-cm)
41.66 oz-in @ 6.0V (3 kg-cm)
Weight: 16.6g
Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Oct 14, 2019 at 07:55 AM.
Oct 14, 2019, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
There are no doubt cheaper stronger lighter better servos today. But I tend to use what already have on hand.
Oct 20, 2019, 03:18 PM
Thread OP

Covered....

Finished covering the airplane and nearing final assembly. Tailskid( I changed from the original tricycle design to a taildragger ), switch installation and AMA & FAA numbering remain. Maybe a week or two until maiden. This is my first scratch build in more than a decade, when built from plans a lot. Had forgotten how long even something simple like this airplane takes to build.

Want to add some trim, like windows and lettering but always do that after flying the airplane for a few times.
Oct 24, 2019, 03:59 PM
Thread OP

Completed

Airplane completed, except for the AMA & FAA numbers, ran out of vinyl numbering. Amazingly it balanced well with the battery under the fuel tank.

3-4 months to construct a simple airplane like this is a little much, even for scratch build, but have slowed down with age in nearly everything.

Haven't run this new to me TT15 engine so maybe that will be another hitch to overcome. I will post after the maiden flight to wrap up this build log.

Then on to the Minnie Mambo project.
Oct 24, 2019, 04:51 PM
Nitro User
Looks good should be a relaxing maiden.
Oct 24, 2019, 05:21 PM
Randy Randolph's designs fly well. He was very judicious in his choice of materials and the Misflit should come out pretty light--lighter than many designs of the era. Keep in mind that it was designed around a non-Schneurle OS .15, so any of the more modern .15s should fly it quite well. Keep the weight to around two lbs. and it should be a lot of fun.
Oct 24, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeregaard
. Keep the weight to around two lbs. and it should be a lot of fun.
Glad you mentioned the weight. I weighed it and it is porky at 34 oz without fuel. Guess we will see how that works out. Always heard the TT 0.15 was weak compared to an OS 15 FP. My Sig Wonder weighs 32 oz without fuel and it's OS 15FP hauls it around very well.

Quick Reply