Jul 01, 2019, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What should my next step be?

I used to fly RC airplanes about 20 years ago, but now living in Los Angeles that's not really practical to get back into. I bought a couple coax copters and a cheerson CX10 quad that I've been having fun with (and I also fly DJI mavic but there's really no skill there) and I'm ready for the next step. Thought I'd seek some suggestions on what my next copter should be with the following in mind:

1) Inexpensive
2) more responsive/speedy than the coax
3) allows me to grow as a pilot, but I'm not really eyeing 3d so I don't need ALL that potential

On a separate note, I go on an annual lake vacation where I like to bring some toys along for myself and to entertain the others that are around. I've got a couple self righting RC boats that people love to watch rip up and down. Is there a good inexpensive copter that would be similarly impressive to people? I'd be flying it in a grassy area by a lake about 100ft x 300ft but also have additional space over the water. Bonus if the copter that fits my original quest also fits this, but I'm content hearing two different answers as well.

Thanks much!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2019, 03:35 AM
Going back to balsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucladave
1) Inexpensive
Define "Inexpensive".

Best bang for the buck is going to be a 230s V2. But if you get the ready to fly package with the junk DXe transmitter:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/blade-230-s-v2-rtf-blh1400

you flush a most important tool down the toilet. If want to play this game and you want to do it right then start out with the right tools for the job.

Do you have a programmable transmitter?
Jul 02, 2019, 09:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Davy
Define "Inexpensive".

Do you have a programmable transmitter?

Ah yes that is probably important, I'm shooting for around $100 if possible (give or take $30), and I do not have a transmitter already.

I am also open to finding something used on Ebay if that opens up possibilities, though not my first choice.
Jul 02, 2019, 11:29 PM
Going back to balsa
Consider something from XK:

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...rice-ascending
Jul 04, 2019, 07:11 AM
the k110 is probably the most versatile... you didn't mention if you want to fly indoors as well, or how much wind you will be dealing with. for outdoors and wind... the 230S is great. For indoor flying, the k110 (I say K110 specifically because of how versatile that particular model is) it will also handle mild wind with practice. Of course any CP will handle wind much better than a FP coaxial. I would steer clear of the 2s XK helis to start with... nothing wrong with them, they are just very responsive... and the k110 is harder to break. if you go with any XK heli, order feathering shafts, and main gears to have on hand... it takes time for these parts to arrive from China when Motion is out of stock.

Of course we can't forget the Nano S2, or the Mcps from blade, more costly than the XK's, but any HS is likely to have parts in stock. See there, even more to think about
Aug 03, 2019, 10:17 PM
I have to second the blade 230s v2. Thats my favorite heli. I just bought a blade 250cfx that was DOA (dead on arrival). Thats more expensive but more room to grow. I hope they fix the dead esc on the 250 quick. In the meantime I will keep flying my cheap, dependable blade230.
Aug 04, 2019, 09:24 AM
Try not to put the "cart before the horse" here. Your most important purchase is your transmitter. You will get a throw away for $100.00. Save up for a quality one.
Aug 04, 2019, 07:36 PM
Yeah, transmitter. I love my spektrum dx6 g3 which uses a different power switch and has voice alerts and cost more than the dx6e which is cheaper and adequate for a computer radio. My old dx6e had a problem with the power switch powering it on at all hours of the day or night and draining the batteries so with it I had to remove the batteries after each use. Also many blade helis and quads are available in bind and fly configurations (don't include transmitter) so you use one transmitter for all your helis and/or quads and save on buying a transmitter for each model you buy. If you like blade products which I do. Also the blade nano was my first collective pitch heli- mostly because it is virtually indestructable.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Aug 04, 2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: additional info
Aug 13, 2019, 08:36 PM
Ok, an update. I got my blade 250cfx back from Horizon Hobby Repair Center a few days ago and flew it. They replaced the esc, test flew it, and mailed it back within a day of receiving it. Like the 230s v2 it has stability flight mode(beginner), intermediate, and advanced flight mode.

I flew the 250cfx in stability mode and I have to say it wasn't nearly as stable as the 230s v2. I expected it to be better (and it may be in advanced flight modes) all around but for beginner to intermediate pilots the 230s v2 wins hands down not even considering it is over a hundred dollars cheaper.

Still for beginners, I would strongly recommend a blade nano (I crashed mine a dozen times learning to fly and it barely got a scratch or two) since it is so damage resistant. After you have gotten the basics down so you don't crash any more then get a blade 230s v2. If you can only get one go with the nano. Crashing it is inexpensive while crashing the 230s or any other bigger heli can run up a big repair bill.
Aug 14, 2019, 12:28 AM
Just to let you know, I still consider myself a beginner at flying helis, I've been flying my blade 230s v2 for 2 months now and have about 30 flights so far. I have a dual charger and 2 x900mah batteries so I get 2 x6minute flights per flying session with the batteries at storage voltage when I land. I own a blade 120 and 130 but don't fly them hardly at all -preferring the 230 and the nano. To start I flew a blade nano for about a month learning the basics. I also fly a blade nano quad and a scimitar 170 quad every once in a while.

I haven't crashed the 230 heli yet but I did crash the blade nano about a dozen times mostly due to trying to fly in too much wind or swatting mosquitos. Basically, I only fly now when it is dead calm or very slight wind- usually around 7-8:30pm in the evening and I use bug repellent and wear long pants and a light long sleeve shirt so I can concentrate on flying and not swatting mosquitoes.

Quick Reply