Apr 04, 2020, 05:04 PM
Ok who asked for the commercial jet? Actually looks pretty cool. Will have to get one in a few months. Still want a 262
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2020, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb75
Ok who asked for the commercial jet? Actually looks pretty cool. Will have to get one in a few months. Still want a 262
The guts and engine pods on that could probably be bashed into a ME-262 or Arado 234.
Apr 05, 2020, 03:12 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb75
An ME 262 would sell even more than the commercial jet will, and that jet seems to be doing quite well so far

They want things that sell, so it seems to be legit possible now for that.

GB
Apr 05, 2020, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
An ME 262 would sell even more than the commercial jet will, and that jet seems to be doing quite well so far

They want things that sell, so it seems to be legit possible now for that.

GB
When I imagine what would make a good umx model I always consider how the airframe is suited to belly landing since that is how I would fly a umx edf 90-100% of the time. That's what's perfect about the a10, and now this citation-the placement of those nacelles on the sides of the fuselage. Unfortunately there are not many other aircraft to choose from like that (unless someone can educate me/horizon?). The Me 262 is beautiful but I know it would be a disaster for me landing in a field, I imagine ripped off engines, cracked wings, etc. And forget about on snow unless you are ok with the edf getting full up! I did this once with my umx f16 and stopped, that thing is reserved for nice dry spring-fall days. Now if it's going to be a fair weather only model, that opens up f18s, f15s, f14s, f22s, even mig 29s and su-30s - as long as they made the belly side durable and must have plastic leading edges and a smart nose design. Anyway, that's where my mind goes but I am not on the R&D team at horizon! I want these new fans/power system jammed into any modern fighter/bomber-I'd order it online and get it sent to me in virus isolation so I could drool over it and dream about actually flying it god knows when!
Apr 05, 2020, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireJoe
When I imagine what would make a good umx model I always consider how the airframe is suited to belly landing
Good point. All these UMX planes come with landing gear, I could see where an ME-262 could have a wire skid on the nose, wouldn't be visible in the air and would be a 3-point skid system, along with the nacelles.

Since the Arado 234 is a high wing, the fuse and nacelles should work well for belly landings.
Apr 05, 2020, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Since the Arado 234 is a high wing, the fuse and nacelles should work well for belly landings.
Plus, the original Ar234 was a dolly-launched, belly lander, so skids would be scale!

CD
Apr 05, 2020, 08:48 PM
From my experience, you want these models as large as possible, while still practical and scale. Get maximum efficiency from your cubic loading. UMX ME262 could easily be practical, if they keep it from being a tank. Probably somewhere around 24" span if not a bit larger, with UMX units. Built what I would call a massive UMX style GWS ME262, using tiny 12mm inrunners, demonstrating the bigger is better if kept light. The glass rods were stripped out and replaced with lighter wood, as well as relocating gear to minimize battery size and reduce ballast. The result was good performance with easy launch and landing, where the stock "build to crash" reinforcements would be self defeating. Actually has removable gear with steerable nosewheel, which I believe would be useable given the bit of added weight, although I didn't try them.
Flight: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=413
Apr 06, 2020, 11:22 AM
What do you think Bill, the Cessna seems very much overpowered. A much bigger 3s model could be made? Even up to a meter span, 300 grams?
Apr 06, 2020, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
What do you think Bill, the Cessna seems very much overpowered. A much bigger 3s model could be made? Even up to a meter span, 300 grams?
just keep it 200-250g so I don't get in trouble here in Canada if I want to fly it not only at my club field! I will take anything sub 250g flying weight with that citation power system! I built the flite test mini mustang 2 years ago and with 850 3s batteries it is right at 250g and it is a wonderful aircraft-at that weight I like it better than many umx models but I can still fly it in tight spaces and land it very easily!
Apr 06, 2020, 05:43 PM
I just finished and flew my 262. All electrical components were donated by a UMX A-10. Maiden flight.

Wingspan: 26.5"
Flying weight: 199g
Apr 06, 2020, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
That's what I was thinking. Doesn't make sense to have oversized off scale nacelles, when the model could be larger and amply powered. They should be able at least enlarge the span to 28" without getting too heavy for the current setup. Cutting the batt weight a hair would be a good compromise also. I'm using an Eflite 2s-450 (not the best lipos either) in my 24" span Lear 23 with 30mm GP fan units, with good flight times. These companies seem to stick with their available gear through hell and high water also, no matter how much it limits them. GWS had a few years where they could have likely sold a number of small EDFs with seemingly no competition, if they had bought Feigao or Hyperion 12mm BL inrunners for their fans. Volume discount would have made pricing as reasonable for them as any other company selling ARF/RTF models with BL motors. They were too used to making money with Mabuchi brushed units that they paid pennies for, or selling a EDF models like the A10 and Islander with IPS brushed motors that might actually fly if you burned them out in 1 flight with over voltage.
Apr 17, 2020, 11:24 AM
IWC
IWC
The Cessna longitude flies like a F-16.
I think they tried to keep the weight under 188 grams because of FAA
Apr 17, 2020, 09:07 PM
I believe the FAA registration starts at 250 grams.

Quick Reply