Jul 03, 2019, 08:59 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Yup, 14 X 24.

The Ucreate is two sheets of 3mm laminated foam with paint on one side and cost $1.50 CDN per sheet.
That sounds like it might not be far off using 2 laminated sheets $TF, no paper. I've built with that before and found it worked well except received much more damage in major "events" than papered $TF.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2019, 11:51 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Most dollar store foams I've tried have a very soft surface with the paper removed. The Ucreate has a hard skin, like Depron, but more brittle. When the local four Dollarama stores get inventory, once about every three/four months, the word spreads like wild fire amoung the local foamy guys and it's all gone in two days. The last time I got the jump on them and scooped 30 sheet of assorted colors. Yes, I shared.

Of all the non EPP foams I've tried, MPF is by far the best. You can run an iron over it to 'temper' it resulting in a nice shiny surface with increased rigidity. Still have two sheet left. I'll buy more soon as a win the lottery.

I sure miss the days of cheap FFF. Our local group went through about 25 bundles back in the day. Indoor flying and combat takes it's toll you know.
Jul 03, 2019, 12:17 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I too like MPF. Springer sent me some samples. But the cross-country shipping is too big a bite.

The only affordable alternative to $TF I've found is HobbyKing model airplane foam. And the reason it's affordable is they still offer free shipping for >$50 orders, huge foam packs included. But that's a USA thing, probably not available to you.

Amazon wants $2 a sheet for U Create which would be fine if I didn't have to buy 25 sheet packages. And I'm not sure it's the same stuff you use because it's only 28" and yours is 30". Could be a somewhat different product. I'll have to ask the managers of our various dollar stores if they have access to U Create.
Jul 03, 2019, 12:38 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Carolina Pad may be out of business. Pacon seems to own it now. Or perhaps they're just the primary distributor. I called customer service and they said go to Hobby Lobby for colored panels and Staples for white. I have neither locally but will keep an eye out when travelling.

Goldguy, can you post a weight of one panel? That will help determine if these panels are the same.
Jul 03, 2019, 01:12 PM
Rough Landing
I will check Hobby Lobby this week.

Their website shows colored foam board, but does not say it is Pacon or Ucreate.

The Pacon website shows it but their customer service is somewhat ignorant of it.

I like the idea of the harder surface and already painted..
Last edited by rainyday101; Jul 03, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Jul 05, 2019, 03:27 PM
Sokol
Quote:
As you can see from my delta doodles I've been trying many different shapes over the years. My finding so far is that a platform based on the equilateral triangle seems to have the edge in overall performance.

Deltas are great for all round flying conditions, no wind, big wind, no difference. They are wonderful for pushing the envelope as they are not prone to stalling.

For the vert. stab attachment I used the tab n' slot and just taped it on. I'm really good at breaking them off and this is a easy fix with no glue.
thanks for the inspiration Goldguy !

so, I made a delta with 45 degree swept wings, wingspan is 29" ( 75 cm ) .

used material I had available:
  • Dollar Store foam-board, paper off.
  • 2204 brushless motor , 25g , 2400 RPM/V . Stick mount. 5x4.5 propeller
  • 12A ESC
  • 2S 300 mAh LiPo battery
  • 2x Futaba S3114 servos
  • credit card for opposite side of the stick mount. tape and gorilla glue.
AUW is 5.9 oz = 167 g

motor and prop were salvaged from a donated drone "corpse". They were meant for 3S , but I decided to use just 2S. no need for more power and noise !

maiden flight video
delta Movie (2 min 30 sec)
Last edited by JureZ; Jul 05, 2019 at 10:15 PM.
Jul 05, 2019, 10:35 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
There ya' go, that's what I'm taking about.

Very nice.
Jul 05, 2019, 10:36 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Must get a video posted too.
Jul 06, 2019, 02:13 PM
Sokol
Quote:
There ya' go, that's what I'm taking about.

Very nice.
thanks goldguy !
Jul 07, 2019, 12:37 PM
Sokol
second day video, doing some acro after painting the plane

Delta - second day flying - painted - Movie (1 min 58 sec)
Jul 08, 2019, 03:26 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Gonna build another, a 15X26" in EPP. My foam board is taking a beating and will need to be replaced soon anyways. What can you expect for 75 cents worth of foam?

We've been seeing who can loop the lowest and how many rolls you can do in one pass flying as low as possible.
Jul 08, 2019, 03:41 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I have an airframe done. Same shape, but otherwise the opposite of yours. Intentionally heavy for a wind flyer. 22.5 x 40, Elmers board, pure triangle with carbon tube exoskeleton and the elevons attached to that. Maybe too heavy. I find planes like this to fly well, but don't launch well. They do however totally ignore the wind.
Jul 09, 2019, 10:06 AM
Sokol
Quote:

...We've been seeing who can loop the lowest and how many rolls you can do in one pass flying as low as possible.
the merit is all yours goldguy !

your humble grasshopper student , bows before you .
Last edited by JureZ; Jul 09, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Jul 11, 2019, 05:40 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
We’ve been saving the nice packing foams we find in shipping boxes and meat trays … It’s not the best but works and we’ve made many a successful plane from FREE foam …
Echuta 13 even called me a “ cheap bastard !” hahahaha

The “Fine Art of Salvage” …. The idea of a Foamie was not originally about nice pristine sheets of foam , But “ ADAPTING “ to the Foams we could get …

And we also save our old Foamies , repairing the damaged ones ( impromptu combat ) …they seem to last forever… Although they do get Dusty …
Last edited by gpw; Jul 11, 2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add photo
Jul 11, 2019, 01:37 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Take them into the shower with you.

Quick Reply