Jul 01, 2019, 09:34 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
As you can see from my delta doodles I've been trying many different shapes over the years. My finding so far is that a platform based on the equilateral triangle seems to have the edge in overall performance.

Deltas are great for all round flying conditions, no wind, big wind, no difference. They are wonderful for pushing the envelope as they are not prone to stalling.

For the vert. stab attachment I used the tab n' slot and just taped it on. I'm really good at breaking them off and this is a easy fix with no glue.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2019, 10:34 AM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Wrong! The root cord is 14 inches as stated, not 11.

corrected my root cord mistake
Jul 01, 2019, 02:55 PM
Rough Landing
Can you take a better picture of one of the stickers on that foam board?
Jul 02, 2019, 11:46 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
It's very hit and miss finding it here.
Last edited by goldguy; Jul 02, 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Jul 02, 2019, 11:59 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Was out yesterday rippin' around, tried out 2S 520 lipos. It was very windy and the extra few grams didn't seem to make a difference. Well ...............…. except the extra kinetic energy caused blood to be spilt. I nailed my hand doing some silly stuff. Anyways, I always pack band aids.

After playing around with the fine tuning I'm now at zero degrees reflex, a few degrees of down thrust on the motor and the CG at 7 13/16 inches / 198 mm.
Jul 02, 2019, 12:15 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
This delta takes me back to the beginning of my foam journey, back to Glen's Stealth Sport. Here's his re-do version ………………. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tealth%20Sport

If you want to make a pusher version, try this one ……………… http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/models/delta.htm

Although, the tractor gives best performance.
Last edited by goldguy; Nov 04, 2019 at 11:53 PM.
Jul 02, 2019, 12:26 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I built a similar plane out of salvaged Coroplast, larger with a 30" WS. Problem I'm fighting is I fly over dirt and the front engine gets a mouthful on landings. Have been using skids with some success, but am now considering remounting the motor above the nose point instead of in front. Don't know if that will affect the performance, but easy to try.

BTW I may try your design because it's compatible with my latest technique. I take three lengths of 4mm square carbon tubing which form the two leading edges and the hinge line spar and run a stout cord through them tying them into a very rigid triangle. Fill the interior with standard papered $TF and hinge on some elevons. Simple, light and killer strong.

Too heavy for your size, but in a 30" WS should be fine.
Last edited by hard line; Jul 02, 2019 at 12:35 PM.
Jul 02, 2019, 12:36 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Try a skid at the nose ………………….

I've also got skids at the aft end and can shoot touch n' go's with no prop or motor damage.
Jul 02, 2019, 12:50 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
BTW, did you mean to say this was an equilateral triangle? (post 16) 24" wingspan and 24" leading edges? Because that's not what the photos seem to show.

Equilateral means all three sides the same.
Jul 02, 2019, 01:15 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Yes, I did say 'based on'. I guess I should have said 'similar to, but not exactly' because I just go with TLAR without a plan. It's just a good guess anyways, so looks closer to a 'right angle or isosceles or a combination of both' than an equilateral.

I tried increasing the wing area of 'delta based' designs using combinations of triangles and rectangles. I found that the leading edge sweep was the more important than area. So, just making it bigger and keeping the weight down worked best ……………. for me that is.
Last edited by goldguy; Jul 02, 2019 at 11:58 PM.
Jul 02, 2019, 01:48 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Gotcha. So then you do need an overall length to complete your sketch. Is 14" the correct number, as was speculated earlier? You seemed to agree, and then deleted your comment.
Jul 02, 2019, 10:21 PM
Rough Landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
It's very hit and miss finding it here.
I cannot find this stuff. Research shows it is owned by a company called Pacon which is about 60 miles from me in Appleton WI. I called their customer service to see where I could buy it and did not a clear answer.
Jul 02, 2019, 11:53 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday101
I cannot find this stuff. Research shows it is owned by a company called Pacon which is about 60 miles from me in Appleton WI. I called their customer service to see where I could buy it and did not a clear answer.
Don't know if this is exactly the same. But at this price I'll have to stick with $DF.

https://www.amazon.com/U-Create-Prem...gateway&sr=8-2
Jul 03, 2019, 12:06 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Yup, 14 X 24.

The Ucreate is two sheets of 3mm laminated foam with paint on one side and cost $1.50 CDN per sheet.
Jul 03, 2019, 12:11 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Carolina Pad ………….. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...33&postcount=4

Quick Reply