Jun 30, 2019, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
Question

How Does a Frequency Jammer Effect R/C Airplanes?

I found some threads on this site talking about Frequency Jammers. Yesterday my Airplane mysteriously crashed. There still some tests I need to do to my radio system. When I read about frequency Jammers it got my imagination going. None of the threads I saw answered two critical questions of mine.

1) When someone jams a radio system, how does the servos behave on a R/C Airplane? Do they just freeze up? Do they just go crazy? Or can the jammer take control and choose what servo or servos they want to mess with. Because whatever was going wrong with my plane was only effecting the elevator.

2) I only have one Radio System that uses the 2.4 Ghz band. The rest of my systems still use the 72 Mhz band. I'm curious do these jammers effect just the 2.4 Ghz or both?

More Information:

Phoenix Model 1/5 Ryan STA GP/EP/Gas ARF 70.8"

O.S. 75AX ABL .75 Airplane Glow Engine w/Muffler

Flash 8 - 8 Channel 2.4GHz Aircraft Computer Radio

Flash8 Manual

Flash 8 LiFe Battery

Optima 9 - 9 Channel 2.4GHz Receiver

Optima 679 Manual

HS-325HB Standard Ball Bearing Servo

HS-322HD Standard Heavy Duty Servo

Tenergy NiMH Receiver RX Battery with Hitec Connectors 6V 2000mAh High Capacity Rechargeable Battery Pack for RC Airplanes/RC Aircrafts and More

Crash Pictures:
Last edited by gregoryshocc; Jul 21, 2019 at 04:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
I talked to Hitec service and radiosouthrc.com. They assured me that no body was using a jammer on me. Hitec said that they only exist for Military use, and radiosouthrc told me that nobody could use these because 1) It's illegal, and 2) If they did it would kill all wifi internet.
Jul 19, 2019, 05:57 AM
To answer your question about what happens to the RC system if were to be jammed, it should go into Failesafe, which will differ based on what radio system you use and how you have failsafe setup.

For your optima rx, if you did not set it up, the servos would just remain in the last know position. If you did setup failsafe, then they would move to whatever positions you had setup for failsafe.
Jul 19, 2019, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse
To answer your question about what happens to the RC system if were to be jammed, it should go into Failesafe, which will differ based on what radio system you use and how you have failsafe setup.

For your optima rx, if you did not set it up, the servos would just remain in the last know position. If you did setup failsafe, then they would move to whatever positions you had setup for failsafe.
Before the crash I didn't have failsafe set. Now I have the system set to scan for cleanest channel, and I have failsafe set to reduce the throttle to idle and put everything else in neutral.
Jul 20, 2019, 04:03 AM
Entropy is happening!
Gregory,

If it was mine, I would suspect the NiMh receiver battery before the receiver.
LiFe is superior for higher current applications.
For what it's worth..........................
Jul 20, 2019, 09:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Gregory,

If it was mine, I would suspect the NiMh receiver battery before the receiver.
LiFe is superior for higher current applications.
For what it's worth..........................
I don't think my setup qualifies as high current.

Servos: HS-645MG on Elevator. HS-485HB on Ailergons, and Rudder. HS-325HB on throttle.
Jul 20, 2019, 04:30 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryshocc
I don't think .......................
Ok.
Keep thinking..........................
Jul 21, 2019, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Ok.
Keep thinking..........................
I called the president of the local model airplane club. The same club that taught me how to fly back in 1996. I ask him, what type of batteries does most guys at the club use on their glow powered aircraft. He said everyone uses NiMh except one person.

Quick Reply