Jun 30, 2019, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Losi 8ight will not stay running

I have a losi 8ight with an O.S. 21XZ-B VII Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine, Dynamite Platinum 1/8 053 Mid Range Inline Exhaust System (Hard Anodized), hybrid clutch, and a Spectrum DX5C transmitter.

The engine is new and has been fully broken in, but it's extremely hard to start up and dies frequently. To get it to even start, I have to turn the idle way up. To the point were it starts to four cycle. Once it warms up to about 180F I can turn the idle down to normal. I also have to disconnect the hose running from the fuel tank to the exhaust or it will stall out immediately.

When driving it will randomly stall when slowing down or after sitting at idle for about one second. I was originally using the ultra hot turbo plug that it came with, but switch to a super hot turbo plug and the problems are the exact same. And screw adjustments seem to make it run worse or die. I'm at a complete loss. Any and all help would be appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2019, 10:14 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
It sounds like the carburetor settings are WAY off and using a hot or ultra hot glow plug is very much ill advised. Removing the pressure line is also I’ll advised. Removing that will make the engine run leaner above idle and especially on the top end. If that improved the running characteristics of the engine, it’s clearly too rich. Definitely on the low side and probably on the high side.

How was this engine “completely broken in” if it won’t run for beans now? EBIS?
Jul 18, 2019, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkballerstein
The engine is new and has been fully broken in, but it's extremely hard to start up and dies frequently. To get it to even start, I have to turn the idle way up. To the point were it starts to four cycle. Once it warms up to about 180F I can turn the idle down to normal. I also have to disconnect the hose running from the fuel tank to the exhaust or it will stall out immediately.
If it's 4 cycling, that's a mixture issue not an idle speed issue. If you have to take the pressure line off the tank to make it not stall that's a sign it's WAY too rich. I'd start over at the factory needle settings and try again, it's definitely running too rich right now.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:40 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
There is virtually no positive tank pressure at idle or just off idle. There is barely 0.5psi at 1/2 throttle. If the engine behaves differently with the pressure line disconnected at idle, that’s coincidence IMO.

Quick Reply