Jun 30, 2019, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

TREX 600 nitro - revive or scrap?

Hi guys.

To give you an idea how long I've been out of the hobby, I just today found out that Runryder is gone! I have badley neglected my only nitro ship, a TREX 600 with a Thunder Tiger 50 (or so, was it 55?) engine. It wouldn't start for anything. When I pulled the plug and looked in side all I saw was rust color. I'm going to say that engine is either toast, or not worth fixing.

I don't even know if I can still get a glow engine, I would imagine I could but wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't! What stores are still going strong? I'm afraid to look after learning about Runryder. That heli store in Montana still open? Heliproz I believe it was??

I think I can get it running again with an engine-ectamy and subsequent transplant but should I or should I just part it out or sell it as is? Is anyone still running nitro? Is anyone even selling the fuel?

What would I even ask for it if there is a used market still interested?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2019, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
100 views and nothing. Hmmm.
Jul 08, 2019, 09:15 AM

Nitro parts

Glenn, glad to hear that you want to get your nitro back up and running. I to took a short break from flying because of the death of my wife but now that I am retired I'm back in the game. my trex 600 nitro pro has a old YS 56 st motor a good 15 year old engine but old so instead of refurbishing it I decided to get a new one, they are still available a lot of places as you notice hobby shops are eather going out of business or limit the parts they can stock but they are still available you just need to do a lot of looking for example I to have a time getting heli nitro fuel I am fortunate enough that I live near IRCHA and I can get it there but it is available. it sounds like you enjoy flying so.....I say get her running and enjoy. Scott
Jul 15, 2019, 11:33 PM
Glenn, I'm in the same position as you. Decided to get back into flying again after over a decade. I have a Raptor 60 that sat since 2008-2009 after a minor brain fart trying to hover without charging the batteries. Probably need to replace bearings in the OS 70, but won't know till I open it up. No problems, just log onto Heliproz and see what they have. Suprise, they are gone. One good suprise was finding 3 crash kits I bought in 08 or 09. I have tail booms, t/r drive shafts and other parts.
Looking it over I need to find ball links but don't know what will work or if anyone even sells them. Are there any online stores that actually stock and sell parts for the Raptor 60? Ebay has been my best friend lately but it's hit or miss there. Ordered from England last week but shipping makes for expensive parts.
Then there is the question of my Heli-max MX450XS and Axe 400. Mx450xs is new in the box, Axe has been run for 15 minutes or less, can't figure that one out. Do I just scrap the electric helis? Do Align Trex parts work and are they even available anymore for the V1 or V2 or which ever model was supposed to be 90% compatible?
Jul 18, 2019, 02:33 PM
ticedoff
RunRyder is back online

Yes, you can buy nitro engines (YS 60 SR ot the OS 55HZ)

No, both HeliProz are out of business.

Thunder Tiger is still in business. But, who cares?
AMain Hobbies, Horizon Hobby and RC Japan or Align Trex Store (aka: PowerHeli . com) are the best sources for Align Trex 600 Nitro parts and nitro motors.

You can still get parts for the OS 70. But, why?
You can find many (but not all) parts for the R60. But why?
You can also upgrade it to Raptor 90. But why?
Last edited by ticedoff8; Jul 18, 2019 at 02:41 PM.
Jul 18, 2019, 06:42 PM
Learned quick that HeliProz was out of business.
Thunder tiger is still in business, great since I care and maybe lots of other people.
Appreciate the info on hobby stores that may sell something I am looking to buy.
OS 70 parts are still available, good because I have one bought and paid for. Cheaper buying new bearings than a new motor.
Can find many, but not all parts for the R60, but why? Because I have one and another on its way to me.
Don't want to upgrade to a R90.
I appreciate the response but can do without the way it was presented. I like flybars on the rotor head. I wish someone made a UH-1H fuselage for the Raptor 60, but living in the real world I know it's not gonna happen.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:15 AM
I've taken motors that you would think would never run by taking carb back plate and head off and soak in granny fluid for a couple days...
Jul 19, 2019, 06:33 PM
Soak the motors in granny fluid and get them working.
I'm to old school poor boy so I say get them flying till you can't get parts anymore. If you have the coin and want something new, more modern looking and current, buy it and ditch the old stuff. I like flybars on top my rotor head so I'm going to run the raptor 60 till I can't repair it anymore. With luck I won't crash it and will get good enough flying it to justify a new heli. I just bought another raptor 60 with TT pro 70 so I can get two flying or I have a parts machine to cannibalize off of.
I've been getting TT crash kits from England so I can run one or both for a time.
Aug 01, 2019, 02:05 PM
Granny fluid?
Aug 05, 2019, 12:59 PM
AMA 46133
For those of you thinking about resurrecting some older glow fuel powered helicopters. My answer is WHY NOT!!! Do what ever makes you happy. There are a ton of old used wet fuel engine helicopters out there and with some patience and time you can find all kinds of parts and materials to get them back up in the air.

I have been flying RC since 1968 and RC helicopter since 1986. Actually I had attempted to fly RC helicopter as early as 1971 but not very successful. I switched back and forth between helicopters and fixed wing (pattern planes mostly) over the years.

The last helicopter I have been flying a lot is an XCell 60 that I must have built back in the 90's. It started off as one of the earliest kit with the bent metal frame. RC helicopter parts are very compatible between brands. So my Xcell 60 turned into many different configurations. It was once a gasser with a conversion kit. Now it sports a graphite frame from 1999. I converted it to electric and used it as an aerial photography platform for many years.

Recently I wanted to get it back to fly as a wet fuel engine machine.

I also dabbled in rebuilding glow fuel engines. I have found my old neglect OS 70 SZH engine sitting in a box. I opened it up and it looked pristine just like it was brand new on the inside. The outside saw a little more discoloration. I was going to used it on a fixed wing so I bought a drive washer for a propeller. I ran it on the test bench and it is just as nice as I can remember.

Now I want to use this 70 SZH on the Xcell (I think I had this engine on for about two flights before I pulled it and went with electric) and I couldn't find the fan shroud. Lo and behold some one bought Miniature Aircraft out and they are now in Germany. I am in heaven. I can get parts. So a fan shroud is on the way and the Xcell will fly again. I have converted it to CCPM by making up my own servo mounts.

So for all you with the Trex. Parts are available. With a bit of patience and a little shotgun method of collecting you can get parts from other helicopters to fit your original machine. All it takes is your stamina. Of course this will not be an instant gratification type. If you don't have the personality to plug at it, don't bother. Just put the machine back in the closet where it belong. However if you want to feel the reward of being able to resurrect an old machine and get it flying, you will not regret it.

For they guy that kept of asking the question "but why". My answer is "just because it can be done". This is a free world and not for you to ask my motivation but to share in the joy of it. Why do people climb mount Everest?

BTW I also have some old helicopter parts. Mostly flybar rotor heads and some Thunder Tiger Raptor parts. Let me know if I can help you.
Aug 05, 2019, 08:49 PM
Yeah have most of the part to rebuild my 50 Titan........... just no time, its going to happen blades are the curious thing now, are electric blades as good as the old glow ones? cant seem to find many if any?

Quick Reply