Jul 13, 2019, 09:33 PM
Yep yep yep. 4 flights. Serious reflex test on the first. I started with CG right where the manual says, launched, and found it to be extremely tail heavy. 30 seconds or so of craziness, and I managed to get it back down. My neighbor got a good laugh at my expense. Shoved the battery all the way forward, which put CG a little over an inch forward of recommended and it was much better.

The power was incredible. Easily unlimited vertical, enough to pull out of a nose up stall with no speed. I put the esc where it would get plenty of airflow, so no heat issues there. 900+ watts rocks this airframe... maybe, just maybe a little too much power. But I like it.

After that, just a few quirks. Definitely has some odd pitch qualities. Sometimes felt throttle related, sometimes not. I’m sure I didn’t get the horizontal stabilizer perfectly level, and even with the forward CG it had too much elevator control. I dropped it to 80%, and if I took it easy on the elevator it was no problem. Too much elevator caused hard rollouts. It seemed to keep rolling a little bit after I stopped aileron input, but only on very fast rolls. And it would glide forever if I let it. But yeah, after the initial heart stopping 30 seconds, it was a lot of fun. And crazy fast. I had 9 packs charged but only did 4 because the last landing tore my battery strap loose, so I switched to flying my Durafly Excalibur.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 08:15 AM
First flights yesterday using a one handed launch back by the tail cone and full thrust. I used an easy, level football style toss. I removed the front half of the battery tray and used foam packing material to secure the Admiral 1800 3S battery all the way forward under the magnets where the end of the battery is against the nose cone firewall. In this placement it balances right at the aileron servo lead channels. The launch for me was a non event based on some of the pitch up issues I has seen online, in my configuration it flew away in level flight.
I found the recommended low rate settings to be adequate all around although the high rate roll is too quick for my taste.
First flight 3:30 with 21% at landing, second 3:00 and 27% remaining, both packs moderately warm to the touch using mixed throttle. Winds were gusty and it tended to wing rock a bit but very stable in pitch. Looking forward to a smooth air flight, lot's of fun!!
Jul 15, 2019, 09:47 AM
y are you starting him on an edf...
Jul 16, 2019, 06:41 AM
Thread OP
A good question. I have reconsidered and will start him on something much less demanding.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck
A good question. I have reconsidered and will start him on something much less demanding.
good idea IMO - but how's your hand-launching coming along? Did you try at all?

Flew my Panther last weekend - wow, this jet-like woosh blew me away again, just awesome how the cheaters and a 12-blade can make a realistic sound in such a small model. It does sound good with a balanced 5-blade fan already, but with the 12-blader it gives me goosebumps when I fly it

F9F Panther FW 64mm jet sound w/ 12-blader (2 min 21 sec)

it does not need a lot of power, this is a low power setup at less than 30A (2615 Turnigy 3000kV (measured a bit more: 3125kV), stock ESC.

now that I know of the launch technique described earlier in this thread, I have no worries about failed launches, and with the low-power 12-blade setup static thrust is pretty low compared to the stock fan, so it needs a good throw (also because I reduced the large stock exhaust diameter a bit for more speed)

regarding CG, I am probably the only one flying a more rearward CG like the one recommended (1600mA 3s lipo, and heavier motor in the rear than stock) - works with very small elevator throws (using inside hole on the servo arm)
Sep 17, 2019, 01:09 PM
Big gov never Works
I finally realize why I like your vids so much. We only get to see the tops of our planes when inverted. You can see both! Have you ever hit one of those trees? Beautiful flying area, but I would need to take a ladder with me. I'm bad at tree cimbing...

I was given a FW 64mm12b w/3300Kv outruunner. I have been giving the fan some consideration for my next stick & tissue type jet. I found the fan does not need 100% FSA exhaust, on 3s vs 4s. I got as small as 52mm, and very little amp change. But increase in efflux. That tells me the fan is more efficient on 3s. Much less waste of power and less AUW.

Fuzz
Sep 17, 2019, 02:33 PM
I bought one of those EDF units for my P15 as a 4s upgrade, but ended up using it instead in a sonic 64 wing. It’s a pretty solid unit. I can run 10 flights, 2:30 each, full throttle the full flight, back to back to back. It gets the motor pretty warm, but that’s expected in Texas summer heat. Never missed a beat.

I’ve been considering swapping the sonic for a 5s setup so I can put the 3300kv one in my Panther, if I can figure out how to remove it without damaging the housing. I guess I glued it in pretty good.
Sep 17, 2019, 03:44 PM

OT on the bigger motors needed for the 12-bladers

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
...Have you ever hit one of those trees? Beautiful flying area, but I would need to take a ladder with me. I'm bad at tree cimbing...
I was given a FW 64mm12b w/3300Kv outruunner. I have been giving the fan some consideration for my next stick & tissue type jet. I found the fan does not need 100% FSA exhaust, on 3s vs 4s. I got as small as 52mm, and very little amp change. But increase in efflux. That tells me the fan is more efficient on 3s...
thanks! unfortunately, quite a few flights have ended in those trees, and some pretty dangerous climbing has been necessary at times to get the planes back (or what was left of them)...

the FW 3300kV combo has me confused, as some have reported around 40A on 4s, which would rather mean around 3070kV or so. I like the rather beefy motors FW uses in their 3300 and 3500 combos (at 87g - for 64mm standards, where motors are rather around 50-60g for the 5-blade fans), and I am running a 3500kV combo on 3s in my HK Phazer: the 3500kV motors I measured to have very close to 3500kV, and on 3s and 45A they seem to work pretty efficiently. I would not run them on 4s however. Curious what amp draw you get with the "3300kV" combo; if 40A on a smaller 4s lipo is correct, it should be 30A max (on a full lipo) on 3s.

The 12-blade rotors really need heavier motors - I found that the 2615 motors (62g, and measured kV around 3500) would do no better than the slightly heavier 2815 motors (74g, measured kV around 3250) - but the 2815 motors will be quite a bit more efficient, as rpm do not sag as much under the load of the fan as the 2615 motors. For me, the lesson is: a bigger load (like 12-blader vs 5-blader) needs torquier (heavier) motors to be equally efficient. Really like the FMS combos, they also use nicely sized motors, with quality bearings, and the rotors seem to be quite efficient in my experience...
Sep 17, 2019, 07:39 PM
Big gov never Works
Yes, I take little value in published Kv values of these motors. And correct, they need a lot of motor mass to handle the load for motor efficiency. I just never thought of going down in power(V) to make the rotor more efficient. THe people who make this fan, actually did something correct in the design. They use an even/odd blade/stator number as the low blade fans. And a look at the stator design, they are not very aggressive, like a WeMo, for flow correction. I don't believe the rotor would tolerate an aggressive flow straitening stator. I'll have to run up the fan with the watt meter and see what the numbers are. Possibly a piece of xmas tinsle in the exhaust will tell how much rotational flow is converted to forward flow.

Fuzz
Sep 18, 2019, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
This is my grandson Ben and the plane I bought for him. Something like $53 which included the plane, 2.4 gHz transmitter/charger and a 1s LiPo. Ready to fly, right out of the box. Just charge the LiPo and go. The plane could be either hand-launched or use the LG. Ben preferred the LG. Controls are differential thrust and elevator.
Took him 2 or 3 tries before he got the hang of it. All in all, it flies decently.

Other than the Duet, I have not been doing much of anything RC related. A leaking upstairs bathtub and the subsequent replacement of the family room ceiling seems to have priority, at least as far as "she, who must be obeyed" is concerned.

Once the ceiling is finished, I'll get back to the F9 Panther

Quick Reply