Jun 28, 2019, 06:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

X360 went to a 470LM

Owing to a Lotto windfall(nothing to get too excited about but a huge boost to the hobby budget), I decided to go for the Align 470LM rather than the X360.

May yet get the X360, as the 'plastic' technology still fascinates me
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2019, 04:10 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Nice! The 470Lm is a really nice little heli. Mine goes into the car most days, in favour of helis costing several times more.
Jun 28, 2019, 05:27 PM
I really love mine. The size is perfect. So smooth.
Jun 28, 2019, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the feedback - two questions I do have are;

1) Being a Hobbywing fan I have to ask if the Align ESC is up to scratch? (I'll be using the AR7210BX governor). Don't recall having read anything bad about it.

2) Is the KST215MG a reasonable servo choice for sport/scale flying?
Jun 29, 2019, 02:21 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
The Align ESC isnt very good. The BEC is weak and it's internal governor is terrible. It doesnt have 'RPM out' so cant easily be used with an external governor. The Hobbywing is a good upgrade. If you do fly with the Align ESC fit a brownout capacitor and use V-curves.

KST 215 are great on the swash and decent on the tail. For a faster tail servo Lynx do a special version of the KST 215 (with Lynx branding) that is faster and narrow band.

The other weakness is the tail hold due to low tail drive ratio. For scale flying you wont have any issues but for more aggressive sport flying (like fast backward flight and/or backward and sideways loops etc. the tail will blow out easily. I fixed this with the KC3D speedup kit, Align make longer (74mm) tail blades that help. Alternatively just use very high headspeed.
Jun 29, 2019, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
Thanks JPF - think I will put in a new HW 60A v4 which I already have installed on the 450 and good experience of. Glad I asked - can't be bothered with V-curves and capacitors!

I really do like the KST215 and seeing as my flying style is relatively mild, I'll stay with them. Will decide on the tail upgrade after a bit of flight time experience.
Last edited by Cyclone 7; Jun 29, 2019 at 03:16 AM.
Jun 29, 2019, 04:26 AM
I strongly suggest adding the tail speed up kit from the start. It's cheap, and you will be wanting it anyway. Get what you need to make a slightly longer pushrod too as the existing one will be short. I also added the Hobbywing 60A esc. I just use the supplied servos because I don't do 3D so no recommendations there. Get the metal tail servo bracket also because the plastic one strips out easily. A stainless screw update is good too. These small improvements REALLY make a difference. Using the tail upgrade will also help eliminate the static build up from the metal stock drive pulley. A win-win. Have fun building it! These are just my own observations and opinions. There are PLENTY of others out there.
Jun 29, 2019, 05:11 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice John - duly noted. I am every sales dept's dream customer where it comes to upgrading the important 'bits & pieces'
Jun 29, 2019, 05:39 AM
Thread OP
PS - this is my first belt drive build, so all seasoned advice and comment welcome!
Jun 29, 2019, 08:33 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone 7
PS - this is my first belt drive build, so all seasoned advice and comment welcome!
Add a grounding wire to protect from static. The boom is small diameter so the belt tends to rub in it making static a particular problem on this heli.
Jun 29, 2019, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Add a grounding wire to protect from static. The boom is small diameter so the belt tends to rub in it making static a particular problem on this heli.
Thanks - that is one of the issues I have been aware of. How did you ground yours?
Jun 29, 2019, 01:17 PM
The tail speed up pulley is not metal, so that helps a lot.
Jun 29, 2019, 01:59 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone 7
Thanks - that is one of the issues I have been aware of. How did you ground yours?
Run a grounding wire from the base of the tail boom (attached with a tiny self tapper) forward to the metal main bearing block then daisy chained forward to the motor mounting plate. I actually never had any static issues even before fitting the grounding wire but my flying buddy was plagued with them and had a few crashes due to static hits. Since grounding he's not had a single glitch.
I cant explain why mine was ok and his not but it was certainly static. FBL logs show the system shutting down and on one occasion the heli was going nuts and totally unresponsive to control inputs for at least ten seconds before it hit the deck. The static hit prevented failsafe from activating. It also happened on the ground twice, the heli just continued to run at full power with no control. We just had to wait until the battery went flat.
Jun 29, 2019, 02:13 PM
While on this subject, does static effect different fbl units the same?
Jun 29, 2019, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCl
While on this subject, does static effect different fbl units the same?
I've had it on the 470 with a microbeast, ikon2/brain2 and old mini vbar. It killed the mini vbar.

Quick Reply