Jul 07, 2019, 03:02 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
And after cleaning up, just for some motivation....
In front of the Endeavour II, same scale.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2019, 11:24 PM
Your Endeavor sure is gorgeous !
Jul 09, 2019, 12:04 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Thank you.

It is always nice if things go where you want them to go, and yesterday it all came together.
I spend some time drafting the side sheer from the center one, and all those little dots ended up just where I wanted them to be .

Then, as the remaining planking is asymmetrical port and starboard side, I decided to work from the top down, and fill up whatever is left.

Cut myself a new, straight side plank, and worked it on along the sheer.
Glued them on last night (minus the last frames), and heee, It starts to look something classic ... slowly....
Nice detail is the aft ship, which really start to get that slender look.

Next up is some further strengthening, then the further modelling of the aft ship.
Jul 12, 2019, 10:55 PM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Made quite some progress:

- Added a lot of bracing to add strength, and to prepare support for the deck.

- Worked out further support for the stern and transom.
I had to reverse some of my earlier work on the stern, as it simply did not give a satisfying result.
I now decided to do it the way it should be, working from the side planking down.
To get there, I made a small part of the deck, and lined it up as support and guidance.

- After some further bracing, cut the top of all the remaining bulkheads , absolute PITA work, but its done.

- Closed the hull at the side and front, roughly shaped the nose, and made the provision for the bowsprit stay.

I am also considering to use the old deck planking, but I need to see if I have enough material, and if I can full the holes in a satisfactory way.
If not, I will proceed with the original plan of using veneer over a layer of triplex.
Jul 13, 2019, 05:09 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Then, as an attempt to do something else, sanded the front and middle part of the hull, and shaped the keel.

The hull is pretty well fared, just need a little bit of putty on 2 places where the original model builder had the planking all wrong.
For the rest it will be just a matter of the usual stuff, several rounds of paint and sanding.

I finished today by filling 2 of the center cavities with cement filler, to get her a bit heavier and more fixated on the stand.
Needs to dry though, so no more working this weekend.
Jul 15, 2019, 12:57 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Took the plunge, faired the deck beams, then lined up the deck by using the removable cockpit, the mast support, and the bow as a reference.

Did it identical to the Endeavour II, lined everything up from the center, to get the shear, then tight her down to get the deck camber.
Worked well.

Finishing up the transom, then the next step is to remove the excess deck overlap, lots of grinding and checking to do ....
Jul 15, 2019, 06:41 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
And it slowly but surely start to look like the 'ass' I was looking for all along ...
Jul 16, 2019, 06:41 AM
You did it ! Amazing !
Jul 21, 2019, 10:04 PM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Nothing much activity, other than that I roughly fared the hull, and put her in a primer.

Currently cleaning up the hobby room, so other needs prevail.
Good thing was that I had to take the Endeavour off the wall, nice couple they will be once finished.
Jul 22, 2019, 12:12 AM
That looks good next to each other!

I just came across this video, what a beauty between all that misery
Stunning Classic Sailing Yacht Docking Between 2 Luxury Yachts (Captain’s Vlog 86) (12 min 32 sec)
Jul 22, 2019, 07:59 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokum
That looks good next to each other!

I just came across this video, what a beauty between all that misery
Thank you!

Yeah, that is the 1925 Cambria, an other of William Fife's larger creations, beautiful restored at SYS some years ago.

Here is a short video, showing the remaining four 15-meters in all their elegance and glory.

Hispania, Tuiga, The Lady Anne, Mariska (2 min 56 sec)
Jul 31, 2019, 07:50 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Didn't do too much in the last weeks, as I needed some time to clear out my old hobby room (slowly filled up with Jaguar XJ-S parts), and to fix up a half decent working bench.

But managed to spend some hours of further fairing the hull, finished today with 2 layers of primer.
It looks nice on the pics, but in reality there are still many small spots to fix.
Not a bad result so far though, temporarily using the old deck stuff let it really starts to look like a yacht again.
Jul 31, 2019, 11:18 PM
Amazing transformation ! Nice work . Enjoyed following the progress.
Aug 10, 2019, 07:08 AM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Thank you again.

We had an other strong earthquake, followed by the passing of a strong typhoon, but this morning was perfect to pick up the pieces and start again.

Worked out the dimensions of the rigging, and started to make a new mast, the boom, the gaff, the bowsprit and the topsail spars.

In the meantime the hull is drying from an other session of fairing and painting, and I hope a final session next week will have that job finished.
Then it's just a matter of painting above and below the waterline.
Aug 12, 2019, 10:07 PM
Rock the boat ...
Thread OP
Finished the mast, spars, etc, matter of drying first.
Then will need to accentuate the reinforcements around the mast.

Also decided that I will use the old deck planking opposed to using veneer.
Some are not in the best of shapes, but I just have enough old wood to make the kings planks, and with some careful lofting, I should be able to get it done.
Made the base for the hatches as a reference during planking, will need to work as efficient as possible.

Also decided that this model will be the 'Tuiga', now owned by the Yacht Club de Monaco.
Last edited by ericjansen; Aug 19, 2019 at 04:49 AM.

Quick Reply