Jun 27, 2019, 02:26 PM
Because I was inverted...
Thread OP
Discussion

City has trouble understanding Class B airspace

The place I flew a lot last year has restricted RC flying for the time being "due to FAA regs". What is the FAA reg? The park is under class B airspace with a 400 foot ceiling in that sector.

So instead of saying you have to call ATC for clearance they straight up banned flying. Makes sense. I guess they don't want the liability and doubt those who fly will follow ATC giudance?

I paid $20 for a lifetime permit to fly in the city and now I can't. There is a precident of them digging their heads int he sand against logical solutions so I feel talking to them leads nowhere.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2019, 03:44 PM
Keep Flying Model Aeroplanes
I used to fly there a lot too but a couple years ago they got a new Director of Parks and Recreation, Andrew Pimental and he decided it was his obligation to speak for the FAA. We had a long conversation about how he had misinterpreted the “FAA regulations” but he didn’t budge. He cited Section 10.23 of the rules and regulations for Eagan which actually state that the city can prohibit taking off and landing in the parks where they say.

The stupid thing is that they allow flying in two other parks that are in class G but they are neighborhood parks with playground equipment and kids running around.

I drove by Thresher Fields Park last week and was surprised that they have installed gigantic lights all around the park and they stand right where I used to make the landing approach. It’s too bad that they have done all of this when the previous Director of P & R was so accommodating for RC flying.

Good luck in your search for a place to fly. I have joined TCRC and Grassfield so I can fly.

BTW the first idea he had was to require each and every UAS would be stickered. It is a pretty good looking permit sticker though, isn't it. Mine is number 000011. What's yours?
Jun 27, 2019, 06:27 PM
Team Futaba
What location are you talking about? Location?

I think I found you generally. FWIW, there are numerous Class D airports around you. Use this map to find you location and the FAA-permitted altitude

https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...06ebf6a06754ad
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Jun 27, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:02 PM
HEAS
OP should get his money back for a Lifetime of Not Flying anymore
Jun 27, 2019, 08:03 PM
Drone Pilot (Trainee)
Yep, how far to the closest airport? It probably is the issue, as it's rather clearcut depending on which version of the FAA rules and regs the decision was made under. If your location is now marked as 400' in relation to your grid-square versus a nearby airport, then someone would likely need to arrange special waivers by a process that's still not yet clear or trust that everyone flying did their own deconfliction with LNAAC or whatever...then you have spaces where none of this is an issue and flying is allowed, - makes sense to wait and see on the one and thank your lucky stars that the parks admin still support flying by allowing it in oarks in Class G.

You should appear at the next public input opportunity, thank them for their continued support and remind them that flyers have lost a lot of space that needs to be replaced in more congenial areas. Take advantage of what you have, don't belabor the sore spots that can't be helped for now, but try to turn them to your advantage long term.

But that's just how I'd call it there based on your bare facts so I may not know the full story. All I know is that you're in better shape than we are, because all our local parks are a no drone zone....
Count your blessings.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:34 PM
The decision was made three years ago and nothing will change it now. When I called the airport to tell them I was flying there the manager had no problem with it. The problem is with the current Director of P & R. He thinks he is protecting the public from our model airplanes. I continued to fly there with others for the first year of the change but interest dropped off and it's not used for flying as much now.

To be clear I have been contacting airports for years when I was within five miles. For me it is nothing new and I have never, that is NEVER had a negative response from any airport.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:40 PM
A few questions, what is the identifier for the Class B airport? If you are in a grid that is marked as 400 feet, you are in Class B at the surface and you need a LOA with the FAA to fly. I have not seen a grid mark that extended beyond Class B at the surface, if you provide the identifier it is vary easy to check. The AMA asked all AMA clubs that fly within controlled airspace to provide locations. Is this an AMA Chartered club?
Jun 27, 2019, 09:12 PM
Because I was inverted...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
I used to fly there a lot too but a couple years ago they got a new Director of Parks and Recreation, Andrew Pimental and he decided it was his obligation to speak for the FAA. We had a long conversation about how he had misinterpreted the “FAA regulations” but he didn’t budge. He cited Section 10.23 of the rules and regulations for Eagan which actually state that the city can prohibit taking off and landing in the parks where they say.

The stupid thing is that they allow flying in two other parks that are in class G but they are neighborhood parks with playground equipment and kids running around.

I drove by Thresher Fields Park last week and was surprised that they have installed gigantic lights all around the park and they stand right where I used to make the landing approach. It’s too bad that they have done all of this when the previous Director of P & R was so accommodating for RC flying.

I was actually at Lexington Diffley a few weeks ago. A cop and two P&R guys drove by but didn't do anything. I only realized they restricted flying city wide after I looked it up on the website. Literally no sUAS flying allowed in Eagan as of now. I checked my email and they didn't send anything about it.

Also, there was also a guy with a racing quad flying FPV there (With other people on the soccer fields!).

Quote:
Good luck in your search for a place to fly. I have joined TCRC and Grassfield so I can fly.

I now fly at park in Lakeville off Ipava Ave. Big enough, except for a tree line the middle you have to watch out for. An older lady stopped by to talk and she reminisced about the RC planes when the park first opened. There is a good Facebook group for RC pilots, MN R/C airplane Enthusiasts, Scott A. of TCRC is an avid poster. That is how I learned about the Lakeville park.

I was a TCRC member for one year in 2018, then finances got in the way of paying dues and AMA. Scott County Fairgrounds isn't too bad when there is flooding. I was at the float fly this spring too to watch. I'll probably hit up the other public events to take photos. Most likely will join again when finances are available.

Did you join before or after the angry email about the flooding? I am on the email list still and I got it this spring.

Quote:
BTW the first idea he had was to require each and every UAS would be stickered. It is a pretty good looking permit sticker though, isn't it. Mine is number 000011. What's yours?
I am 000010.
Last edited by DreamyBongos; Jun 27, 2019 at 09:39 PM.
Jun 27, 2019, 10:46 PM
Where the heck is this???🤨
Jun 28, 2019, 12:00 AM
Send it
Jun 28, 2019, 10:31 AM
Well I guess it's a moot point then, isn't it.

https://www.cityofeagan.com/drones
Jun 28, 2019, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Where the heck is this???🤨
Iím guessing somewhere near Minneapolis?

RStrowe
Jun 28, 2019, 11:09 AM
It's A Great Time To Be Flying
Maybe a city named Eagan (mentioned several times in the thread).
Jun 28, 2019, 11:36 AM
So, the site is in (not under) Minneapolis Class B, and it didn't get a blue dot, and the city has also decided to ban flying there. Sounds like you are twice-banned.

Once the LAANC system becomes available to recreational sUAS flyers maybe you'll be able to fly there as far as the FAA is concerned, and just forget about what the city wants. If you can tell the local cops that the FAA has authorized your flying session, maybe they will leave you alone.

Oops except for those tall lights they've now put up in your way. Well, there's a solution for everything (kidding).
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jun 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM.
Jun 28, 2019, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEFlyer
Maybe a city named Eagan (mentioned several times in the thread).
Tennessee?

Quick Reply