VAS 900MHz ShapeShifter Antenna

OK, this is pretty cool. Alex at Video Aerial Systems continues to create interesting and useful products for FPV pilots. The ShapeShifter Variable Gain Antenna for 900MHz is one such product.

Splash

Omni and Long Range with a Switch

OK, this is pretty cool. Alex at Video Aerial Systems continues to create interesting and useful products for FPV pilots. The ShapeShifter Variable Gain Antenna for 900MHz is one such product. It is designed with a switch that allows you to select Omni or Long Range modes so no matter how or where you want to fly, you can have an antenna that works. Here's more from VAS about it:

"An Extreme range and an omni-directional antenna in one! Designed by antenna master IBCrazy, the Shapeshifter uses beam forming technology to create a revolutionary product for your RC control or video link. The Omni-directional mode gives you 4-6X range over the stock antenna on your radio making it perfect for everyday flying and moderate range missions. Throw the switch to long range mode and boost your signal for extreme range flights without worrying about your control link making it."

Check out the VAS 900MHz ShapeShifter Antenna Here

Specifications:

• Gain: 2.8dbi (Omni Mode) / 7.5 dbi (Long Range Mode)
  • Frequency range: 825-975 MHz
  • Flight beam (Directional Mode): 90 degrees
  • -3db point (Directional Mode): +/- 75 degrees
  • Weight: 32g (1.13oz)
  • Package includes: 1- ShapeShifter Antenna, 1- VAS Finger Wrench
  • Part Number: 90001
  • Retail: $24.95

Jun 27, 2019, 09:52 AM
It's a yagi/diamond. A doxon, yamond.
Jun 27, 2019, 12:26 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
“Long Rage”? I usually don’t feel rage when using an antenna...those rare cases where I do I’m not willing to talk about.
Jun 27, 2019, 01:21 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
ďLong RageĒ? I usually donít feel rage when using an antenna...those rare cases where I do Iím not willing to talk about.
LOL! you might if you lose your signal... Fixed above, Thanks.
Jun 28, 2019, 12:59 PM
How long is LONG ? There are many long range antennas out there. Yes this one gives you a fancy switch between the 2 but HOW long is LONG with this one ? And is it reliable ?
Jul 02, 2019, 06:53 AM
Thelongranger

Shapeshifter

Is this available in 433 mhz
Jul 10, 2019, 08:24 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Two questions:
1. What is the physical dimensions of the plate?
2. Is the "long range direction" of the antenna broadside to the plate, or inline?
Latest blog entry: RCM Magazine Covers
Jul 10, 2019, 11:11 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
I think I have it figured out, based on the lines in the 3d radiation patterns, and the raised areas seen in the photos. Most of the device is non-conductive support. There is a loop dipole (or possibly a butterfly dipole) in the "leading edge" of the antenna. You can see it as wireframe in the patterns. there are two conductors in the "trailing edge" that become a single resonant reflector for a two-element yagi when the switch is closed. The direction of the directive radiation lines up with the coax.

I assume there is a matching network in the box, but no SWR information is given. I also assume the feed impedance is 75 ohms.

Nicely done!
Latest blog entry: RCM Magazine Covers

Quick Reply