Jun 26, 2019, 09:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Swallow Fly Wing 800mm epp kit

This is available on Banggood and some other places for under $20. Its a single sheet of epp foam reinforced with carbon flats and foamboard wing fences. Assembly is easy, add the carbon, flip, add the fences and fins, add the center section and motor mount. The center section has large fins if you want to call them that just before the 3d printed motor mount. The finns probably serve to protect a tri blade 5 inch prop from hitting the ground. I trimmed mine down to just a canopy on top and small keel on the bottom for better aerodynamics. I'll use a 2 blade and will probably never break a prop on this thing its way light and the prop just moves out of the way on landing.

The hardware included is functional for this size plane. Normally I wind up throwing away some junk but this time I used it all. Control horns are decent with a zip tie like retainer and have pre cut slots for installation. Rods have a prebent z bend which are a direct fit for the pre drilled holes in the Emax es08a servo arms. The other end has a plastic clevis and is adjusted and retained with a set screw, as long as this is not overtightened it should work well enough under these light loads. A drop of Welders adhesive on the rod and clevis after final adjustments would be appropriate here. Cg is on the motormount to start.

Foam tip: on thick flat epp models for outdoor use I do a 45 degree cut/profile on the wing leading edge top and bottom. Just the corners, a little less than an eighth of an inch (2.5mm). If you think about it when you see all that material thats removed it probably amounts to at least 2 square inches of flat presentation to the air. I also remove the same on the bottom trailing edge, this decreases the amount of reflex needed (in theory of course, I'm not sure how much difference that makes. The leading edge profiling does make a difference though)

Setup on mine is: 500mah 3s Zippy, 2202 2300kv Sunnysky, 4x4.5 dd prop (going to try a 5x3) , 12a Plush esc, emax es08a servos, Frsky micro rx. 165g total.

It flies light and easy, it would be a good beginner wing for light wind days. The test was a light wind day, I need to try it on a windy day. It flies well and needs very little expo, it needs alot of roll deflection. Pitch is sensitive enough and just a bit of expo needed. It's easy to fly smooth, easy to loop, needs a little speed to roll. Easy to fly in tight space. I think this will be a very nice fpv platform once I see how it does on a turbulent day.
Name: 20190625_173102_HDR.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 5.02 MB
Description:

Name: 20190625_173120_HDR.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 4.77 MB
Description:

Name: 20190625_173628_HDR.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 5.90 MB
Description:

Name: 20190625_173717.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 4.98 MB
Description:

Name: 20190625_173831.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 4.73 MB
Description:

If you got this far to watch this turn up the volume to hear the droll commentary, the camera is a Runcam 2 and the Mic is screwed up. First flight is the maiden and some tuning. Second is more roll and better cg.

Swallow 800mm flying wing Banggood Greg006 1st tuning flight (11 min 12 sec)

Swallow 800mm epp Banggood flying wing Greg006 better flight (9 min 6 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 05:10 AM
bobflyman2
Great 2nd test flight

Really Good Test Flight Banggood 800 mm EPP Swallow - Great Budget Foamie Wing (3 min 3 sec)
Aug 25, 2019, 09:12 PM
Thread OP
Hey Bob, looking good! Maybe try a side launch to save the fingers, this plane is so light its very easy. I also found a very slow roll so I have the throw up as much as I can and it's a little better. Its a fun little plane for the $.
Jun 17, 2020, 12:55 PM
I more or less stumbled across thisthread as I'd just been ordering some gear from Banggood when I saw the Swallow. I'm not normally a fan of really cheap gear especially cheap foamies. However after reading what you chaps have said and watching the videos I hit the buy button twice. Arrived today, took a week from the UK warehouse, contents intact and nicely done. One wing is 10 grams lighter than the other one, i could tell straight off as the foam is slightly different. The light one I am building now and should be finished this evening. Very nice model in fact so cheers gents and I'll post some pics when done.

Tony
Jun 17, 2020, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Hey Tony good luck with your builds. I recently let my friend fly mine so he can try flying some fpv. He is a good pilot and generally flys glow planes but never anything fpv. He bounced it around a little then got the hang of it in a few minutes. For a single slab of foam with some support and foam bits glued on this is a tough little plane.
Jun 18, 2020, 08:15 AM
Hi, got distracted yesterday and this morning but nearly there just got to sort out the electrics and we're done. 168 grams with battery I'll put up what I've used later when finished with a couple of pics. What CG did you end up with please? Your post indicates you started at the motor mount. Like you I'm using the stock gear that it came with for once it's not total garbage so well done to them.

My biggest decision today is battery on top or below!

Tony
Jun 18, 2020, 09:35 AM
Thread OP
Name: 20200618_102101.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 5.59 MB
Description:

Name: 20200618_102109.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 5.72 MB
Description:

The flight inspector was there today.

My new setup with little regulator and q366 Quantum Elite aio camera. Cg is 167mm from nose or 12mm from base (flat where motor sits) of motor mount. So about 2mm in front of the carbon spar.

I see I originally started about 3mm from the flat of the motor mount but it has crept forward. It depends what you want, if its calm move it back, for better windy day performance move it up.
Jun 18, 2020, 10:34 AM
Cheers much appreciated I think the second one I will set up for FPV. I want a stable calm set up so as to get my nephew on the sticks if he manages ok then I'll give him this one I'm finishing off. The battery is going to be a push fit on the bottom of the Island (Well that's what I'm calling it !) and the Esc and Rx will go in the top with some more EPP so there's nothing left hanging out. If I stop getting interrupted I might actually finish this lol
Jun 18, 2020, 03:20 PM
I'll program the radio in the morning and hopefully I might get to fly her early evening tomorrow weather permitting.

Here's the gear used;
2 x HXT900 servos. I think I could have gone lighter and got away with the HXT500's
Frsky V8R4-II none telemetry Rx. Hard to get old of as it's old tech for Frsky and all the new radio's don't support, pity really.
Hobbywing 10Amp Esc
Nano-Tech 460Mah 3S 25-40C
AP15 KV1500 brushless motor, no idea who makes it but I get them from Robotbird here in the UK a bit noisy but ok. Weight is 15.8g
GWS slow fly 6 x 3 or 5, can't see it without taking it off! Have some 5" props which I'll take. Opened the prop slot an additional 1/2" at either end

As can be seen I've also hacked a bit of the centre "Island". Battery on the bottom as a push fit with a bit of foam wedged until I find the CG proper then I'll fix a bit better. Rest of the plumbing is up top, seperate compartments for Rx and Esc and I may cover with 2mm EPP or Mylar just to streamline everything.

For what they cost they really are a good steal.

Weather didn't help this evening so no maiden hopefully Sunday or Monday. Final flying weight is now 171 grams obviously the depron and a bit of glue cost me a couple of grams but not too bad a weight I think.
Last edited by tctele; Jun 19, 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Jun 19, 2020, 05:22 PM
Was it you who was flying and the dog start d to chase your plane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman2
Jun 19, 2020, 05:24 PM
I’ll be building mine this weekend?
Jun 19, 2020, 06:54 PM
Good luck on the build, dunno what servos you intend using but fyi you need a couple of inches extra on one servo if you intend putting the Rx slightly to one side the rest of the layout is pretty standard I didn't come across any hiccups or parts not fitting. One of my pics (Second to last one) if you look closely you can see were I've spliced in a bit of wire and new plug. As I've said before good price for what you get .
Jun 20, 2020, 04:44 PM
Just finished building mine. Itís about to rain.....so typical so will have to wait to trim and fly it.
Jun 20, 2020, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Looking good!
Jun 21, 2020, 05:55 AM
Ditto, nice one. So quick to build.

Quick Reply