Oct 15, 2021, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
You do probably do at least a few of the following though:

1) Initiation fee, non-refundable

2) Waiting period up to a year before you're a full member and can fly.

3) Member vote on new members -- if blackballed, no refund of dues or membership fee.

4) Mandatory "volunteer" activities to maintain membership, usually rough to schedule for working people.

5) Various hoops to jump through before you can fly, even after a member. Oh yeah, gotta have your flight skills checked out, you'll have to see Fred for that, he's on vacation. And each model needs to be checked out too, Bob can do that, but he's kinda busy now.

6) Unofficial pecking order for flying; all members are equal but some members are more equal than others.

7) Officers who swear up and down that 1-6 are absolutely necessary to the survival of the club.

I probably forgot some, and of course there's that AMA requirement too.
1. Nope. $30 a year, for new members and old members alike.
2. Nope. Sign up at one of the local hobby shops. The packet includes the field rules and a key to the gate. Go fly whenever it's convenient for you.
3. Nope. Trouble makers can be booted, but there's no vote on new members.
4. Nope. Of course, participating in these is encouraged, but not mandatory. I often miss them due to work. (Or show up thinking I'm going to fly, only to discover it's a field day that I didn't know about ... Then I pitch in and help out instead. )
5. Nope, although it's pretty normal for everyone else to stay on the ground by choice while a new member flies. Sometimes interesting things happen.
6. Nope. If the runway's clear, call your takeoff and join the pattern if there are more than one or two in the air. Most of us don't fly when the 3d folk are, and vice-versa. EDF speed fliers and 3D fliers in the air at the same time can be a challenge. So, we wait for them to land, then take off. They do the same.
7. Given that all of the above are "Nope" so is this.

You need to move to the midwest.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2021, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
You need to move to the midwest.
NO he doesnít!
Donít say that.
Oct 15, 2021, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
I think maybe he should look in the mirror to find the problem personality.
Duh. Brilliant. Never occurred to me.
Oct 15, 2021, 12:59 PM
The biggest problem I see is the cost of a full membership.
There so many today that can spend a $100.00 plus cost of AMA.
Which was problem in 1970's.

The group that cannot afford to fly from field will just out and find a low use road or other places.

They still would to be in a club without the high cost.
This part clubs need to work on to get group in clubs building up club for all.

Some type of membership with the field being used.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
Wrong on every count.
Oct 15, 2021, 04:50 PM
This whole thread reminds me of the adage: "The first liar doesn't stand a chance."

Maybe some of you should just go out and fly for a day or two and leave the keyboard pounding to your Farcebook compatriots ...
Oct 15, 2021, 05:27 PM
The point is to keep flying by building up club membership for more support.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev
This whole thread reminds me of the adage: "The first liar doesn't stand a chance."

Maybe some of you should just go out and fly for a day or two and leave the keyboard pounding to your Farcebook compatriots ...
Oct 16, 2021, 08:18 PM
Quote:
1. Nope.
1-3 and 5 are universal around me, 4 varies, and I've heard enough stories about 6 (and seen it elsewhere). 7 is a given. Guess they just don't want new members.
Oct 16, 2021, 08:53 PM
Quote:
1-3 and 5 are universal around me, 4 varies, and I've heard enough stories about 6 (and seen it elsewhere). 7 is a given. Guess they just don't want new members.
I can not see any one joining and flying for year.
Mandatory for any thing for get it

The cost will drive most away be for anything else.

If look at the AMA membership they have a 2 pound models for $38.00. Most can deal with that cost.
But when club starts with a $100.00 plus not flying for year. They just find a location out side the club and fly.

Dave
Oct 16, 2021, 10:18 PM
Quote:
My answers were for the club I currently am a member of, which I like quite a lot. FWIW, it can take some looking to find one that's compatible.

For a long time I flew at home, over the corn and soy. Eventually I wanted a better runway though.

The first club I joined is "nope" for your questions too, but the people there made assumptions about my politics based on where I live and would confront me about that (not in a friendly way, and without even bothering to find out if those really are my politics) if they were there when I showed up, even after I told them I have no interest in talking politics at the field, one way or the other. I'm happy to shoot the breeze some, but honestly, don't have a lot of time between work and kids, and generally just want to fly! Politely, within the rules and norms, respectfully, but definitely FLY! It got to where I would dread there actually being other people there and I wasn't using the membership much, so decided to find someplace else.

One of the most convenient I found, I passed up. New member requirements stated that new members had to be sponsored by a current member. I found them through AMA's Club Finder, so clearly didn't know any current members. Looked nice, but I didn't even bother to contact them since I had no one to sponsor me. (That particular policy strikes me as unwise for a club that wants to grow, but maybe they don't. That's fair.)

Another is somewhat convenient and I know some of the people from flying on the Corps land below a local damn (which is permitted - there's a dedicated field there), but like the Corps field, the runway was grass and I really wanted something paved or cloth...

And so it went until I found the current one, which I've been a member of for five years now. I've never attended a single meeting (they're during the week, which doesn't work for me), regularly help out with club improvement events if they're on weekends and I'm in town, and help out with the swap meet. It's about a 40 mile drive, one way, but the facility and people are great (except for the geese ). Sometimes one has to compromise. For me, that primarily means a longish drive.
Oct 16, 2021, 10:44 PM
Quote:
One of the most convenient I found, I passed up. New member requirements stated that new members had to be sponsored by a current member. I found them through AMA's Club Finder, so clearly didn't know any current members. Looked nice, but I didn't even bother to contact them since I had no one to sponsor me. (That particular policy strikes me as unwise for a club that wants to grow, but maybe they don't. That's fair.)
I've seen that in some clubs too, but often times if you contact one of the club officers and have a friendly chat, that is all you need. I am sure that there are restrictive clubs out there, but all the clubs in my area are open to new members.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Of the 2 clubs Iíve joined, not a single one of your ďpoints ď holds true.
And Iím betting most of what you say is exaggeration of the facts. More than likely, your
reputation has preceded you, and you are reaping its rewards.
Hereís what a smart anti-social person, who really wants to fly would do:
1) Swallow pride long enough to do what it takes to become club member.
2) Make effort to get along for a sufficient period of time to learn the typical
schedules of the other members , as to adjust schedule around theirs.
3)Stop making adolescent type excuses, stop whining and fly.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymodeler
I've seen that in some clubs too, but often times if you contact one of the club officers and have a friendly chat, that is all you need. I am sure that there are restrictive clubs out there, but all the clubs in my area are open to new members.
I've been told that here before, and my response now is the same as then: Then why bother having the policy at all? It's not serving any real purpose, unless they're looking to exclude certain people for reasons that they can't state (e.g. race, religion, politics, etc.), which, because of that other club I joined initially, is a red flag for me.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:17 AM
Quote:
I've been told that here before, and my response now is the same as then: Then why bother having the policy at all? It's not serving any real purpose, unless they're looking to exclude certain people for reasons that they can't state (e.g. race, religion, politics, etc.), which, because of that other club I joined initially, is a red flag for me.

The cold hard truth is they want to know how well the potential new guy will fit in with the club. Guys with bad attitudes or a chip on their shoulder are not desirable. From reading some posts here the policy appears to be working. I would be willing to bet that Iíd someone with a much more positive attitude were to approach the same club their reception would be much different. Now before anyone gets their feathers ruffled keep in mind that this would remain the same regardless the activity. This particular person demonstrating the same personality trait would be met with the same resistance if he asked to join a group at the golf course or bowling league. If you want in you need to fit in.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
If you want in you need to fit in.
That idea can be abused, however.

My best flying buddy lives about 40 miles away. He likes our field and club, but doesn't want to make the long drive every time he goes flying. He found another club with a nice field that is only a five minute drive from his house.

Most of club members are friendly and welcoming, but there is an "old guard" (quite literally, they're in their late 70's and 80's) who are different. They come to the field about 9 AM each morning, with their 72 MHz radios and their 40 year old, glow .40 powered trainers. They drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, complain about everything and everyone, and occasionally take turns attempting to fly their planes. This would all be OK, except they insist that everyone else "take turns" as well - even though the club rules allow up to four planes in the air at once. They also make it clear they disapprove of anyone and anything that isn't just like them - such as electric power systems, programmable transmitters, and gyros of any kind.
The club president - a younger fellow - is aware of the situation, but can't be bothered to assert himself to do anything about it.

The sad part is that these guys and their attitude are driving away new members - about 1/3 of the membership failed to renew this year. This puts the dues income well below what's needed to maintain the field. The club used to host a large swap meet which made up a lot of the difference, but the remaining members can't be bothered to organize one this year. So if nothing changes, in a couple of years the treasury will be empty and the club will be unable to pay field rent. When the widow who owns the property dies, it's likely her children will sell the land for development - and another RC flying site bites the dust.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:44 AM
Quote:
I never thought of that way, and to be honest haven't seen any evidence of that. I always assumed that this was a way of keeping out known bad actors (e.g.; individuals known for drinking at the field, or violent behavior), but to your point, it could potentially be abused.

I haven't seen a lot of political or racial or other social issues causing divides at the clubs I have been involved with, but you do see people falling into clicks and groups based on flying style and/or types of models (heli flyers vs 3D gassers vs pattern flyers vs quads etc). One club had a big heli vs fixed wing war that went on for a few years until a new president was elected that got everyone to come together coexist peacefully again.

Quick Reply