F35A or C 8 16.67%
T-2 Buckeye 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Jun 27, 2019, 04:37 PM
Uh oh, FJ-4 picking up speed! 😁
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2019, 06:00 PM
Classic jets rule
Simple and knee action struts would be scale.
Jun 27, 2019, 06:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade_D
Something with a straight wing.
Swept back and delta wing are for transonic/supersonic flight.
Please disregard the 2 meter A330 I just 3D printed/built then

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
I say FJ-4 fury.....i did a 70mm draken and have plans/ drawings for a 90mm sized one.
Oh yea, I remember reading through that thread a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
Uh oh, FJ-4 picking up speed! 😁
Added to the first post , but I'll just have to track the comments to see the count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox
The only really challenge would have been the main landing gear but with all the current strut types available today it shouldn't be a problem. Plus I know a guy that designs and 3d prints flying models so it should be no challenge for him (YOU)
haha, should be easier than the A330 nose gear.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:53 PM
EDF all the way!
Have the molds for Byron(147mm) size Draken. It was flown in the movie "Firebirds" Going to do an Byron EDF build.
Bob
Jun 27, 2019, 10:23 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
FJ-4 would be a cool model
Jun 30, 2019, 06:49 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
I voted for the T-2 Buckeye

Lots of drawings with profiles for the C model, I only found 1 low quality drawing for the A model.

I started doing a T-2 fuse in Devfus but I'm a long way from anything really useful. Devfus really doesn't lend itself to ducted fans all that well.

I may make it a project for learning Fusion360. I figure a nice printed fuse with a foam or built up wing would be the way to go for me. That and fusion would allow me to print the ducts rather then make them the old fashioned way.

Of course Chris will have a plane designed, built and flying before I learn Fusion360 well enough to make anything
Jul 01, 2019, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBvr
Here are a few pages scanned from "Naval Fighters Number Fifteen - North American Rockwell T-2 Buckeye" Author: Steve Ginter
Thanks for the reference docs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Have the molds for Byron(147mm) size Draken. It was flown in the movie "Firebirds" Going to do an Byron EDF build.
Bob
Very cool! I'll keep an eye out for your build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe
I voted for the T-2 Buckeye

Lots of drawings with profiles for the C model, I only found 1 low quality drawing for the A model.

I started doing a T-2 fuse in Devfus but I'm a long way from anything really useful. Devfus really doesn't lend itself to ducted fans all that well.

I may make it a project for learning Fusion360. I figure a nice printed fuse with a foam or built up wing would be the way to go for me. That and fusion would allow me to print the ducts rather then make them the old fashioned way.

Of course Chris will have a plane designed, built and flying before I learn Fusion360 well enough to make anything
LOL

Yea, I think a 3D printed fuselage and foam wings/tail would be a good balance. Fully 3d printed ducts definitely can help speed up the build. One thing I want to try with this build is use the airfoil software XFLR5 to test the airfoils and attempt to optimize the selections and parameters to get better flight characteristics. A bit of learning will be needed, but I think it would be a good tool to have at my disposal.

http://www.xflr5.com/xflr5.htm
Jul 01, 2019, 08:23 PM
Your Bus is cute.
Jul 02, 2019, 12:07 PM
I vote the F-111 as I would love to see a 3d printed swept wing design work, but if that is out I say the draken just because its unique looking
Jul 05, 2019, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Yea, the swing wing mechanism will definitely be easier to implement with 3D printing. The landing gear shouldn't be much of an issue either, and can use RC car shocks too.

Poll results are starting to build up with the T-2 still ahead of the Draken, with the F-35 right behind. I will give the poll a month before I lock the votes in, so July 25th will be the day the airframe is decided.
Jul 05, 2019, 11:06 AM
You guys are doing it wrong, because the Draken isn't winning.
Jul 05, 2019, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Yea, the swing wing mechanism will definitely be easier to implement with 3D printing. The landing gear shouldn't be much of an issue either, and can use RC car shocks too.

Poll results are starting to build up with the T-2 still ahead of the Draken, with the F-35 right behind. I will give the poll a month before I lock the votes in, so July 25th will be the day the airframe is decided.
Hey Dirty Dee, change my vote to the Draken instead of the F111 if you can.
Thanks,
Don
Jul 05, 2019, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Will do, I'll note it when the poll closes and I do the final tally.
Jul 06, 2019, 08:34 PM
I voted the Pig
Jul 15, 2019, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
10 days left in the poll. Current poll standings:

Buckeye (10)
Draken (9)
Aardvark (7)

Bob, kevin, air sally, you guys can still vote for one of the original 5 if more people don't do a write-in for the Fury.

Quick Reply