Jun 25, 2019, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Light and quiet 250mm brushed possible ?

Hi Guys,
I have really enjoyed my toy geared brushed 8.5mm motor WLtoys 686G
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-V686G-Explore

I have been using its surface area, visibility and lack of power to learn about the local air currents over my hillside.
having flown that venerable model close to retirement
and having a Taranis X-lite,
I was wondering if I could replicate the 686 with an all in one brushed flight controller and the gearset and motor from the syma/wltoys.
The bigger slow prop gives a nice ride that indicates lift nicely.

ie Eachine Beecore Upgrade V2.0 Brushed F3+OSD Flight Controller For Inductrix Tiny Whoop E010 E010S - Frsky Compatible Receiver

soooo my question is will such a marvellous little board handle the likes of the 8.5 motor?
I tried to compare current draw but fell into confusion

i like the idea of being able to tune the setup on the pc but maybe going to 250 will be outside adjust ability for a whoop board ?

any clues gladly received
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2019, 12:24 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Yes, that FC ought to work just fine on *any* quad with 8.5mm brushed motors. But larger props spinning slower is probably not going to be what the FC's default tuning is set up to fly, so you will probably have to do some tuning. The FC's "size" has nothing to do with what it can control. If the 686 is outside the capability of this FC, it will be for almost any other FC. It won't be. You don't need to worry about this.

You should install the new FC in the 686 so you can keep the frame/motors/gears/props.

That being said, your quad probably isn't tired because of its flight controller. It's tired because of its motors. Brushed motors wear out. You can replace them, and you can replace them with higher power motors. Go to MicroMotorWarehouse.com and you might actually find motors specifically for your quad. If not, there will be a wide assortment of 8.5mm motors that'll work.

I have an old Blade Zeyrok (which is similar to yours) I converted to FPV, running the "dark" motors from MMWH. With a 1000mAh battery it'll fly for 10+ minutes. It's not fast, but it is really stable and it'll flip. And it's proven to be remarkably durable. It's great in a wide-open interior space. A lot more fun to fly than a Whoop sized quad for just "noodling around".

Name: 2017-02-19 18.27.32.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 1.05 MB
Description:
Jun 26, 2019, 04:00 AM
Thread OP
Wow great news thanks !
I will probably whip up a new frame as the 686 is pretty munted, it's already had a set of motors changed and very happy with those little things
Jun 26, 2019, 08:17 PM
Then really, you're rebuilding the quad from scratch. There are better options, IMO, if you want to stick with 1S power. Abandon the geared motors. Any of the 1S brushless Whoop types would be a good alternative. They are smaller and less hazardous to fly indoors, like in your living room, but they have enough power for some wind outside. In Angle mode they tend to be very stable, but they'll flip in Horizon/Acro no problem. Maybe not as good if you're only doing Line of Sight flying, though. They are small, you have to keep them fairly close.
Jun 27, 2019, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
Thanks !
I want to retain the bigger slower props and the lower noise, and easier to keep in sight.
It will be only outside and not interested in flips.
Dunno if I'd bother with a camera, FPV requires a spotter down here.
Jun 27, 2019, 01:27 AM
If you're flying FPV at a distance you need a spotter. If you're flying it around in your back yard or inside your house and it weighs less than 50g I bet you don't. These quads are small, 75mm or even 65mm. They don't make a lot of noise. But they are small so line-of-sight is limited.

It doesn't hurt to experiment, I guess. You can always move to a higher performing configuration later. If you were to reuse the 686 frame, that FC would fly it just fine. Anything you make that's about the same size and weight will fly, too.
Jun 27, 2019, 02:53 AM
Thread OP
Cheers Chap, much appreciated

Quick Reply