Sep 15, 2019, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_H
Thanks a bunch drambuidhe! That looked like it handled fantastic. I was testing my setup I just put in the AR Wing last night and it took me awhile to sort out the servos, I had to swap them and reverse both channels but it's working now. This will be my first try at a fixed wing autopilot + OSD, and my first try using the r9m and r9 slim+. Now I just need to figure how to mount the RX with two immortal T style antennas and the VTX and antenna, plus the GPS module, and I have the airspeed pitot tube which I may add later on.

My project was delayed a bit because I tried the ezuhf first, but it doesn't like my t8sg transmitter (RFI problem), but I haven't seen that problem with the R9M.

I'm curious, did you tone down your elevon travels in the FC? I noticed they seemed extreme on mine so I backed it down a lot.

Wes
Hi Wes,
I set the aileron setting to 50 and the elevator down to 30 from memory. I noticed it was bouncing (pitching up and down) when the elevator was set at 50.
In manual mode there was way too much elevon travel so it was only comfortable to fly with low rates dialed into my TX. Once 'Stabilized' was selected the rates needed flicking to around 80% on my TX to have better control.
Good luck with your maiden and look forward to the video
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 07:32 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
I've heard a lot more manufacturers are waking up to the benefits of selling direct. Companies like BG have done themselves so much damage in the last few years, people will pay more not to use them, and they have also now become the most expensive reseller in China.
Hopefully it will happen soon.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
Hi alicecooper

I couldn't agree more.

Cheers

Jase

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
I've heard a lot more manufacturers are waking up to the benefits of selling direct. Companies like BG have done themselves so much damage in the last few years, people will pay more not to use them, and they have also now become the most expensive reseller in China.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe
Hi Wes,
I set the aileron setting to 50 and the elevator down to 30 from memory. I noticed it was bouncing (pitching up and down) when the elevator was set at 50.
In manual mode there was way too much elevon travel so it was only comfortable to fly with low rates dialed into my TX. Once 'Stabilized' was selected the rates needed flicking to around 80% on my TX to have better control.
Good luck with your maiden and look forward to the video
Okay cool, that's consistent with my experience so makes me feel more confident. Hope you get your video sorted and thanks!
Sep 15, 2019, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
Yes I agree too, I'm thinking a new company getting on board with a reseller can offer some exposure/promotion to their product(s) initially. I heard the guy that designed a couple recent very popular fpv planes has gone on his own and is working on the LTE Rambler RS which it looks like he's planning to offer through other means, but it is showing as becoming available on Banggood as well.

I think related to this I noted RCModelReviews (Bruce) is asking for opinions about the "seeming" deteriorating QC of the products coming from China. Like maybe it's harder for them to be profitable and requiring them to cut corners maybe?

A big part of why I even got into this hobby is I found out how much more affordable it had become, but I'd still be willing to pay more to deal direct with the manufacturers. It looks like that could be a win-win to me.

Wes
Sep 15, 2019, 11:09 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_H
Yes I agree too, I'm thinking a new company getting on board with a reseller can offer some exposure/promotion to their product(s) initially. I heard the guy that designed a couple recent very popular fpv planes has gone on his own and is working on the LTE Rambler RS which it looks like he's planning to offer through other means, but it is showing as becoming available on Banggood as well.

I think related to this I noted RCModelReviews (Bruce) is asking for opinions about the "seeming" deteriorating QC of the products coming from China. Like maybe it's harder for them to be profitable and requiring them to cut corners maybe?

A big part of why I even got into this hobby is I found out how much more affordable it had become, but I'd still be willing to pay more to deal direct with the manufacturers. It looks like that could be a win-win to me.

Wes
I agree, and I think the only way to avoid getting burned with faulty products is to totally avoid Chinese based resellers. These companies actively protect the manufacturer from warranty losses by deflecting the buyer until they simply give up, some resellers like Banggood will blacklist buyers who pursue legitimate claims through PayPal.. that says it all.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:47 AM
A quick question on RSSI. I have set the FC to calculate based on sbus packet loss (RSSI set to channel 18 as per manual) and that appears to be working fine, but I also have left the analog RSSI signal wire available from my receiver. Is there any advantage to using the analog signal?

Thanks, Wes
Sep 16, 2019, 06:51 AM
what goes up, must come down..
As a matter of curiosity, what does this SN do when it loses satellite lock? Simply not be able to return home and continue to fly in whatever mode the switch position was in? Or does it default to a certain mode eg stab, and if so, can this be changed?
I had a quick look at the manual but couldn't see any options.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:23 AM
Hi, following this nice tread and learning about the SN-L FC.

I’m in the prosess of setting up a plane with this FC and was ready to do a test flight the other day.
But I ran into problems at the moment I was trying to get it going, and I didn’t understand what was wrong.

I had go go back home from the flying field and after some experimenting I found that the ESC was making noise and was disturbing the SN-L. The result was that the flight controller was all over the place with Manual, Stab, AH and RTH, when I used the throttle.

I swapped the ESC and now everything looks normal. But I will have to test it on the flying field before I’m totally happy with it.
Have also updated it to the latest firmware, 6.1...

I’m flying several different FC’s and this my first SN-L.
Last edited by deltaX; Sep 16, 2019 at 07:46 AM.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:15 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaX
Hi, following this nice tread and learning about the SN-L FC.

Iím in the prosess of setting up a plane with this FC and was ready to do a test flight the other day.
But I ran into problems at the moment I was trying to get it going, and I didnít understand what was wrong.

I had go go back home from the flying field and after some experimenting I found that the ESC was making noise and was disturbing the SN-L. The result was that the flight controller was all over the place with Manual, Stab, AH and RTH, when I used the throttle.

I swapped the ESC and now everything looks normal. But I will have to test it on the flying field before Iím totally happy with it.
Have also updated it to the latest firmware, 6.1...

Iím flying several different FCís and this my first SN-L.
Just be careful when designing your wiring system too, try to avoid ground loops and avoid sharing earth runs across different loads.
It's also a good idea to use additional filtering on certain devices, and increasing the value, quality and performance of the esc capacitors is a good place to start.
Sep 17, 2019, 01:25 AM
Thank you, very good advice!
Sep 17, 2019, 01:49 AM
Hi All
Just an update and a question.
I have been following all your comments with interest.
I have now had a couple of flights. I have found RTH and STAB work as expected. AltHold was losing height until I removed vibrations.
I do not want to test failsafe in the air until I can prove on the ground its working. I got a fix on satellites at home and walked down the street until I lost RC. No RTH. I assumed my RX failsafe kicked in and took over. So I did rebind with switches set to RTH. Did the walk test again and this time RTH kicked in at the same distance. Good. But motor didn't rev up as I thought it should.
Is this correct. Is motor disarmed because not enough height.
Cheers David
Sep 17, 2019, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justrelaxing
Hi All
Just an update and a question.
I have been following all your comments with interest.
I have now had a couple of flights. I have found RTH and STAB work as expected. AltHold was losing height until I removed vibrations.
I do not want to test failsafe in the air until I can prove on the ground its working. I got a fix on satellites at home and walked down the street until I lost RC. No RTH. I assumed my RX failsafe kicked in and took over. So I did rebind with switches set to RTH. Did the walk test again and this time RTH kicked in at the same distance. Good. But motor didn't rev up as I thought it should.
Is this correct. Is motor disarmed because not enough height.
Cheers David
Hi David,
Yes , I'm pretty sure that as with most AP's they either have to be in motion or above a certain altitude before RTH kicks in.
Mine is set to kick in with the loss of my RC link and when turning my handset off although RTH is activated the throttle doesn't kick in.
You've reminded me that -that was what I forgot to do last time I flew! Next time I'll test mine
Sep 17, 2019, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe
Hi David,
Yes , I'm pretty sure that as with most AP's they either have to be in motion or above a certain altitude before RTH kicks in.
Mine is set to kick in with the loss of my RC link and when turning my handset off although RTH is activated the throttle doesn't kick in.
You've reminded me that -that was what I forgot to do last time I flew! Next time I'll test mine
Thanks so much. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
I can now test it in flight. Maybe turn off Tx.
Cheers David

Quick Reply