Jul 15, 2019, 12:05 PM
No problemo...
Hey Locafiend,

Just checked out your video on YouTube - congratulations again!!! That was definitely a VTOL takeoff if I've ever seen one! I hope the airframe was OK after the "retracts" landing - otherwise very cool.

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Hey Locafiend,

Just checked out your video on YouTube - congratulations again!!! That was definitely a VTOL takeoff if I've ever seen one! I hope the airframe was OK after the "retracts" landing - otherwise very cool.

Rob
Thanks. The airframe got handed off to the FT guys to get hung up someplace. I can't take it home with me.

It could have flown again without gear. Hand launch would be simple, turn motors to 1/3 throttle and let go lol. Figured I'd let it survive as an ornament instead. I'll be doing some tweaks on the model and building another at home.

It flew pretty darned well, especially considering assembly was a pain. The PETG absorbed some water in the extreme humidity (crazy tornado thunderstorms the first day). It expanded and I couldn't get all the carbon rods in to make assembley easy. That also made the landing gear a lot weaker than it should have been.

It's all good though. I'll sort stuff out, and the next version will have retracts. Possibly a flight stabilizer for landings as well. I'd like to be able to make them close to as short as the takeoff lol.

Here's the maiden flight:

3D Printed XF5U "Flying Flapjack" - Flight Fest 2019 (3 min 20 sec)
Jul 15, 2019, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Interesting. And yeah I don't think it's CG related. I used the same CG point as on my foamboard model. Too much further forward and the control surfaces stop doing their job. Though, now that I think on it's that was without full flying tailerons/ailevators. Maybe I could try a more forward CG for a flight on the next one.

I only used two servos for the maiden, and left the center ones turned off. My rates were rather high. With the center stuff in place, maybe I could try it nose heavy.

I was hoping the issue was the lack of scale diameter props as well, that's why this time I stuck on massive motors and props. I just used standard 20x13 APC E props though. What about the hinged versions do you think might have changed things?

Carl Lydick got great video of the maiden flight, and it's uploading to YouTube right now.

The hinged props would “flap” fore/aft depending on any cross winds that would hit them, this would theoretically create a stabilizing effect similar to a helicopter with a hinged rotor head. The blades be able to flap allow themselves to change incidence angles on the advancing and retreating blades and prevents any rolling tendencies from being transfered into the airframe.
Jul 15, 2019, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast
The hinged props would “flap” fore/aft depending on any cross winds that would hit them, this would theoretically create a stabilizing effect similar to a helicopter with a hinged rotor head. The blades be able to flap allow themselves to change incidence angles on the advancing and retreating blades and prevents any rolling tendencies from being transfered into the airframe.
Huh. Wonder if that only matters with 4 bladed props, and also only if differential thrust is being applied. A model is probably too small to have an air gust only hit one side of the plane. I'll have to do some looking into what it would take to build some scale props that do everything the big ones did.

Always thought it would be cool to throw the scale thrust vectoring and adjustable pitch into the mix as well.
Jul 17, 2019, 08:19 PM
Looking very forward to the plans
Aug 15, 2019, 05:42 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Beautiful CAD and 3D printing work here. Is it in a marketable format?

Ken

Quick Reply