Jun 25, 2019, 10:24 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Question

Anybody remember this movie?

This is a real needle in a haystack question due to the small info I have.

Back in the late 60’s we were switching tv channels and came across the last 15 minutes of an airplane themed movie. All I remember of it was the ending where a woman and man were flying in formation in their own Mustangs. IIRC the TV Guide (the printed weekly book) noted it as having a lot of flying scenes and being contemporary to the late 60’s.

And that’s all I can squeeze out of the gray matter. Anyone else remember this? Thanks if you do.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 10:09 PM
YES, I do!!! but only a little more info.

IIRC, it stared Susan Hayward and Jeff Chandler. A married couple meets and finds excitement and danger, flying WWII aircraft during the war. Post war, the husband becomes an airline pilot and wants his wife to be a stay at home mom/homemaker. She missest the thrill of working with high performance aircraft. What's a girl to do???

Last scenes are about wife having trouble navigating a Mustang in peasoup weather. running low on fuel. H usband happens to be on hand for the nail biting landing. Standing at the wing tip of the Mustang, the couple smooch and make up. The End. I believe the wing tip is visibly damaged, in the close up.
IIRC the scenes of where she works out of is Paul Mantz' hanga,r at the old Ontario airport (now John Wayne Intermational).

Will keep looking for a title. Nothing listed in wiki article about miss Hayward's film roles. Will try Chandler, next.
Jun 25, 2019, 10:34 PM
WelI, was partly right.. The actor was Jeff Chandler, but the female lead was Lana Turner.
"Lady Takes A Flyer"
Jun 26, 2019, 07:38 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Wow, thanks packard! After reading your post I do remember a bit more of the movie. I’ll do a bit of searching also, knowing the actor/actress names should help a bit.

Thanks!
Jim
Jun 27, 2019, 12:27 PM
Dinosaur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_Takes_a_Flyer

I just checked and our local library said they can probably get the movie for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

Quick Reply