Aug 22, 2019, 04:36 AM
Last edited by rchopper56; Sep 07, 2019 at 02:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 02:43 AM
Hi Colonel, The idea of something like the Invader would be that if you get in trouble shut the throttle and let go the sticks, if it is trimmed well it should? descend ala free flight (or am I dreamin mate?). . I think I may be a far worse pilot than you old chap,I only get about 3-4 days a year to fly (about 3 hours each day) as my good lady has Parkinson's and I am her full time carer, we go north and stay with her brother and while his wife helps Rita we go off flying albeit most of the time I am helping Stan with his freeflighters as he has had a stroke and needs assistance.. Anyhow, I do take models with me and whilst there I get other club members to fly them. My passion is building so just to see them fly is good enough for me.

Other than that I have started the covering so more to follow. Safe journey down south good Sir..
Aug 23, 2019, 04:02 AM
Colonel, I have just been looking through the thread and in particular your picture of the large and splendid tail plane. I am a worrier; would several bays of shear webbing out from the centre be good? A lot of extra strength with little weight gain.

Enjoy your visit - great destination. Shame it is so long in the air to get there.

Richard.
Aug 23, 2019, 06:43 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranakiman
My passion is building so just to see them fly is good enough for me
I can understand that - I always tell people I don't need to be that good a pilot, because I only really fly them to prove to myself that I have built something that can defy gravity....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA2017
...would several bays of shear webbing out from the centre be good? A lot of extra strength with little weight gain.
Actually, I feel the structure is actually plenty strong enough, and will be even stonger when covered - hence my removing material from the LE & TE. Although I've never been a 'save a gramme however you can' sort of a chap, at the moment I wouldn't want to add any weight at all to gain strength which isn't needed. But thanks for thoughts - keep 'em coming!
Aug 24, 2019, 03:23 AM
Good morning/evening Colonel, Hope you have your carpet bag packed and the hot air balloon ready to fire up. You may need a shawl to keep your shoulders warm on your trip.

Talking of weight saving, how may people know of Diamond coated drill bits? they are cheap and a wonder to use if you have a pillar drill and need to drill lightening holes in your project. I have used a set on the Behemoth and it saved a LOT of angst. Just a thought to pass on.
Aug 24, 2019, 03:36 AM
Thread OP
I knew......
Sep 04, 2019, 11:38 AM
Last edited by rchopper56; Sep 07, 2019 at 02:24 PM.
Sep 11, 2019, 02:02 AM
Thread OP

Fret ye not, for I hath returned......!

Just in time to save this thread becoming a second page wallflower, and to wonder deeply over what Gene has now decided he didn't want to say.....????

For those interested (which won't be anybody) the trip went very well, and Mater is still in charge of (nearly) all her mental faculties at the grand old age of 90, though her sight and hearing are degenerating. She had a great time, and we even got her out for a two train / one ferry ride into Perth for a family meal in the sun, with a lot of 'do you remember when...' conversations, which she loved.

So now here I am, suffering with a little jet lag meaning that I am comatose on the sofa before the 9 o'clock news and yet wide awake at 2:30am, but as the week has gone on that has lessened and I should be back in phase by the weekend. Because I took the day after my return as an additional day off from work, I managed to make up ply control horns for the elevators and rudders, and also the places they will fit. Having done that, I could cover the rudders and elevators in the doculam. I don't know whether it is lack of practice since I last did it, but I think that the gloss doculam I am using now is heavier and not quite as easy to work with than the semi matt that I have used previously (purchased from George). I certainly have got some wrinkles which seem reluctant to disappear even under Chernobyl heat. Also one of the rudders decided to warp in a fore and aft direction, which is a pain. I think I have teased the worst out, but I'll recheck in a day or two when it has 'rested'. I may need to strip and recover that one.

This just leaves the connector block for the wiring to sort out - Banggood have supplied a kit which contains suitable 3 / 4 / 6 / 8 & 10 wire connectors so I am intending to use a 6 pin block to connect my 5 wires in one hit:

1 - Common +ve
2 - Common -ve
3 - Common rudders signal
4 - Elevator 1 signal
5 - Elevator 2 signal

This will then put me at the stage I wanted to get to before I left for Australia; but it will also mean that the empennage will be complete except for tissue covering, and I can start on the fus.....
Sep 11, 2019, 07:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Glad they let you back into the country, we've missed you (well, I have!), bet you are glad to be back in time for all the "fun" happenings scheduled for the dear old UK over the next couple of months, you wouldn't want to miss that! (For the benefit of our colonial readers that last bit is intended to be what we jolly Brits call ironic. An appreciation of irony and a sense of the ridiculous is very much a requirement for being British at present!)

Sorry to hear that your new doculam is proving to be tricky, if you are stuck I think there is still enough left on my roll for me to squeeze off enough for the Invader.
Sep 14, 2019, 12:50 AM
Thread OP
Thank you, George - indeed, whichever side of the fence (or is it now a bastion?) one may be, one thing that most sensible people agree with is that it is all getting beyond a joke and has shown huge holes in the methodology of the UK democratic procedure....

No worries about the doculam - you keep your remaining stocks for yourself - there are still far too many models to be made in the Sundancer Cavern of Dreams!! I'm not too worried about the weight of mine (if it is indeed a little heavier - I should check sometime) as I do intend to err towards larger/heavier models to cope with the windier conditions we seem to be 'enjoying' here these days!

After my burst of modelling on Monday, I haven't yet been able to do anything else this week - and today Milady has a 'nice long walk' planned.......
Sep 14, 2019, 04:05 AM
...hopefully, she's coming back! Or are you going with her?
Sep 15, 2019, 07:33 PM
Good morning Colonel, Welcome home, It appears that you had a good time 'Down under', although Perth is not that far 'Down', our 'West Island' upper reaches are in a tropical zone. I do hope our Aussie 'Cuzzys' treated you all well. I have my Invader part covered and am waiting for some decal paper to make some finishing touches, then wait for the weather to play ball Look forward to seeing more of your project.

Dayle
Sep 16, 2019, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom
...hopefully, she's coming back! Or are you going with her?
I was made to go with her and the daft hound... I kept trying to lose them both, but unfortunately they kept finding me. Still, it was nice walk up and over a moor to a rather nice coffee & walnut cake, returning down part of the Dales Way. 12 miles, but I think the dog did about 20 because she kept running flat out in big circles in the long moorland grass. Have you maidened the Aristocrat yet? When is it's first public outing??

I have finally managed to solder up the tailplane wiring and fit connectors; the Banggood parts are IMHO not good enough in that there are no 'shrouds' to protect the pins from bending and they don't connect positively enough; so I have some new stuff on order.

I have also spliced a couple of bits of 1/4" sq strip for the bottom longerons for the fuselage - whoop, whoop!!!

Dayle- looking forward to seeing your EDF Invader completed!
Sep 20, 2019, 02:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink
I have also spliced a couple of bits of 1/4" sq strip for the bottom longerons for the fuselage - whoop, whoop!!!
Maybe not quite so much jollity was in order - I had spliced a harder & heavier front section to a lighter rear section, in the interests of helping out the CG and for strength at the front.... but it turned out that the 'hard' section was so blimmin hard that I'd have never got the curve into it! So, out comes the razor saw, off comes the oak section (to be used for the forward uprights) and a slightly more useful front section grafted on.....

Last night saw me with motorcycle gloves on, steaming an approximation of the curve required into the two longerons - which was when I found out how dirty my old gloves were - greasy prints all over! Never mind, I'm sure they will sand or wear out .

What's more to the point is that the first fus half has been started!!!! Which is also when I found just how bad I am at sanding the ends of 1/4" strip square, or with an angle in only one direction. I broke out the Fourmost mitre sander, but the sandpaper on the sliding block is knackered and has started peeling off, so that is of some use but not the answer to a maiden's prayer.....
Sep 20, 2019, 02:43 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Good progress , Colonel.... that fuselage curve looks subliminally similar to an HP-42 fuselage.....

Best regards,

jeff

Quick Reply