Jun 25, 2019, 02:56 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Please help with dx8e

I purchased a used Spektrum DX8E and opened it up. The RF wireless module has two antenna ports and only one antenna is present, the main antenna at the top of the tx. The second port is empty and there is no other antenna present inside the tx. Does the DX8E have only one antenna or did someone remove the second "diversity" antenna? I can't find any information about the DX8E and it's antennas nor do I know for sure which of the two ports on the RF module the primary antenna plugs into.
Please help!!! Pictures would help but I can figure it out with some guidance. Thanks in advance for your help ��������
Last edited by Capt.Kosta; Jun 25, 2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 07:40 AM
65 years of RC flying
The DX8e has only a single antenna. Don’t change where it’s plugged in!

The same module is used in other transmitters, such as the DX6G3, which have two antennas. Hence the reason for two connectors.

Dual antennas are desirable in that they reduce the directionality of the transmitter’s emissions, but most don’t have them. You just have to be a bit careful not to point the antenna directly at the model. I’ve had no problems with single antenna transmitters in 12 years of 2.4 flying, though I now have a DX9 with diversity.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:50 AM
Thread OP

DX8E antenna help/questions

Thank you for that piece of mind 😌. My other concern is which port should the mian antenna plug into? With the Rf module laying flat (antenna ports and metal shield facing up) and the ports closest to you, the left port has some letters (code) to the right of it. Based on images i have seen inside other spektrum radios (the modules orientation is vertical with the antenna ports closest to the too of the tx) the main antenna is plugged into the "left" port and the second "diversity" antenna is plugged into the right port. Seeing as I only have one antenna and it matters which port it is plugged into, I want to be 110% certain I use the correct one. I understand failure to do so can and/or will damage the RF module.?.?.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:59 AM
65 years of RC flying
Why would you even consider changing it? Leave RF stuff alone unless you know exactly what you are doing. Do you have any reason to believe someone has switched things?

Does the transmitter work, as demonstrated by a reduced power range test giving at least 30m? That’s the way to resolve any doubts.
Jun 25, 2019, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Kosta
Seeing as I only have one antenna and it matters which port it is plugged into, I want to be 110% certain I use the correct one. I understand failure to do so can and/or will damage the RF module.?.?.
It will damage it if you plug in the wrong one. It will also cause damage if you plug it in incorrectly (not seated properly) or if you are not using ESD equipment while handling those parts.

Your best bet is to send it in to Horizon so they can put it on the right one, but more importantly, so they can check to make sure it isn't already damaged.

ESD damage doesn't always show up right away. It might take a few days or a few months of use before the chip finally dies.

Andy
Jun 25, 2019, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
I'm getting mixed answers, failure to read and understand what I am saying is why. I am NOT changing anything or modifying anything. I opened the tx to check for tampering, the individual who sold me the tx is a drone guy and may or may not have tampered with it. My first question was answered perfectly without judgment. My next question was and still is, which of the two antenna sockets do I plug the primary antenna into? Simple as that. I do not know which one the antenna was plugged into because when separating the case halves the antenna came unplugged. All hardware including the antenna are in perfect condition and nothing has been modified or tampered with. I will not send the tx to horizon hobby for them to simple plug my antenna in. If there is damage, so be it. I will take care of it when it becomes apparent, but for now I would just like to know which socket to plug the antenna into. I see so many people on here and you tubee modifying they're tx antennas, surly someone knows which of the two sockets is for the primary antenna. Thanks

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Jun 25, 2019, 12:45 PM
Perpetual Noob
Andy's advice of contacting Horizon and sending the transmitter in is truly sound. FYI, Andy is the person responsible for the software used in the radio and works for Horizon. He may come across sometimes a little abrupt, but your best interest is always his goal. Sending in the unit will accomplish at least 3 things. first, your unit will be thoroughly tested; secondly, the software will be brought up to date if needed and, thirdly it will be reassembled wit hany worn or damaged parts replaced. The cost to you, the postage needed to send the radio in.
Jun 25, 2019, 01:09 PM
65 years of RC flying
Because you did not explain that you had accidentally unplugged the antenna, it seemed that you were considering changing the setup. Now I understand the situation.

Unfortunately, I can’t help you, except to suggest you search on line for a review of the DX8e which has an interior picture.

EDIT
I did some searching for a picture of the inside without success. I strongly recommend you take the advice and send the DX8e in to Horizon Service. It will almost certainly cost you just the postage and will give you an assurance that all is well with the radio.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jun 25, 2019 at 02:46 PM.
Jun 26, 2019, 12:45 AM
Thread OP
Thank you all for your help and guidance. I reached out to Horizon Hobby and received a call back shortly after. The technician at Horizon pulled apart a DX8e to confirm which one of the two sockets the primary antenna plugs into. The top socket on the RF module in the DX8e.
*Note the RF module is mounted sideways in the DX8e.

Jun 26, 2019, 07:22 AM
65 years of RC flying
Good news. And good for Horizon Hobby.

Be sure to do a reduced power range test to verify proper operation. With the receiver about 80cm off the ground on a wooden support. I typically get 50 to 100m range with full control. This translates to about 1500 to 3000m at full power. Spektrum specify a minimum of 30m (not “paces” — a typical pace is only about 70cm).
Jun 26, 2019, 03:30 PM
Perpetual Noob
For those who were in the military a pace is every time your right boot hit the ground or about 60 inches as a step was expected to be 30 inches for marching.
Jun 26, 2019, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
I did a proper range test at half or whatever power in the range test menu. I also used a measuring wheel device to measure 90ft and beyond. Thanks guys

Jun 26, 2019, 10:36 PM
65 years of RC flying
Range test power is designed to reduce range by a factor of 30. Since range varies as a function of power squared, to reduce it by 30X requires scaling back the power by 900X! Call it factor of 1000 for simplicity.

If the transmitter puts out 100mw (0.1w), which is the maximum allowable in many jurisdictions, then the range test power will need to be cut to 0.1mw (0.001w).

Cutting power in half will only reduce range to about 70% (1/sq root 2). Since ordinary receivers typically give range of 1-3 km, you probably wouldn’t notice a 50% cut in power.
Jun 27, 2019, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Kosta
I did a proper range test at half or whatever power in the range test menu. I also used a measuring wheel device to measure 90ft and beyond. Thanks guys
How do you select "half power" for your radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
If the transmitter puts out 100mw (0.1w), which is the maximum allowable in many jurisdictions, then the range test power will need to be cut to 0.1mw (0.001w).
It's not cut by a percentage. It's cut to an absolute amount, regardless of region, to give the appropriate power for a 30m test.

Andy
Jun 27, 2019, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Range test is in your transmitter's system menu. Scroll through the menus and select range test, once you are in range test you must walk 30m (90ft) from the aircraft, once you are 30m away you then press the bind button (some transmitter's use other buttons or switches, refer to your tx manual), hold the bind button and move your control surfaces. You should have complete control of your aircraft without any delays of glitches.
*Note* This is not the exact step by step procedure. REFER TO YOU TX USER MANUAL for proper procedure.

Quick Reply