Jun 24, 2019, 09:29 PM
Operator Error
Thread OP
Discussion

uhu por and xps mess

hi guys, i hope this is the right section for this, i am building a trainer out of pink xps and after reading how everyone loves por for foam i bought some
it ate my foam, i dont get it it says polystyrene right on the tube,has anyone else hade this issue,or maybe i have a bad batch or something?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 09:36 PM
treefinder
Inquirer! Is probably the solvent in the POR. It is essentially a contact adhesive (from what I heard, haven't used it myself). If so, you must make sure the solvent has flashed before you join parts. POR for EPP is probably what you are referring to. For styrofoam, my face is godilla glue white. It doesnt affect the foam. It foams itself, so drives itself into open cells in joint line providing a mechanical bond. Masking tape as clamp and to drive the foam where you want it (inside a fuse , for instance). First time you WILL use too much, but you will get the hang of it quickly.
Jun 24, 2019, 09:37 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystwalker
hi guys, i hope this is the right section for this, i am building a trainer out of pink xps and after reading how everyone loves por for foam i bought some
it ate my foam, i dont get it it says polystyrene right on the tube,has anyone else hade this issue,or maybe i have a bad batch or something?
I build all my planes out of Dollar Tree Store $1 foam board ( Adam's Readi-board ) and Walmart low temp hot glue , inexpensive and easy-peasy .

Which trainer are you building ?
Jun 24, 2019, 09:59 PM
Operator Error
Thread OP
thanks for the replies,i didn't let it flash,i used it to glue dowels into the front of the fuse for motor mounting,used it like regular glue,it ate all the foam from around the dowels but i got it fixed with hot glue and ply,thanks for the tip about the gorilla glue i'll go get some,as for what kind of trainer.....i just decided how much wing i wanted, went from there,no plans,i was gonna draw up some cad but didnt think it was worth the hassle,here's a pic
Jun 24, 2019, 10:12 PM
Operator Error
Thread OP
maybe this pic will load
Jun 24, 2019, 10:36 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
maybe this pic will load
If you are on a computer , drag the image file to the image box below the script box ↓
Jun 24, 2019, 10:41 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
as for what kind of trainer.....i just decided how much wing i wanted, went from there,no plans,i was gonna draw up some cad but didnt think it was worth the hassle,here's a pic
If you will be using this plane for first time RC airplane flying ( without assistance from an experienced RC airplane flyer ) , I recommend building a proven , tested design .... instead of a self-designed plane .
Jun 25, 2019, 02:06 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Could I ask you to post a pic of the tube/container? UHU makes a lot of products that look despairingly alike.

According to the safety data sheet (SDS or MSDS), the solvent of original uhu-por is pure n-heptane, so technically it's a slightly lighter version of gasoline (it's basically Zero octane gas if you will.). Pure n-heptane shouldn't dissolve PS; But note for instance that if you were dilute it with, say, actual car gas or similar, it would suddenly be able to dissolve PS. Same could happen with many lighter solvents.

Here's a list of a number of solvents and how/if they should effect polystyrene in general. (Foams are a bit more sensitive than solids, due to the increased surface, bit it still ought to work as a guideline).
https://www.bangslabs.com/sites/defa...0023%20web.pdf

Personally I've glued depron and xps with "wet" uhu-por on many occasions and never had issues? I will admit I have not used it a lot on EPS, though.
Last edited by DKChris; Jun 25, 2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo
Jun 25, 2019, 07:37 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Genuine UHU Por has been my main adhesive for years, on Depron and various foams, never had it melt or attack any of them.

Last edited by eflightray; Jun 25, 2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added picture.
Jun 25, 2019, 07:50 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
I was sort of wanting mystwalker to post a pic of the glue he has, to try and see if it might just be a simple mistake he was dealing with.

Nothing wrong with a reference pic, though.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:36 AM
Operator Error
Thread OP

The tube

A pic of the glue
Jun 25, 2019, 09:29 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
A pic of the glue
Yep, that's the stuff, weird that it attacked the foam....maybe a bad batch, see if you can get a refund or exchange if bought locally.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:49 AM
Operator Error
Thread OP

The plane

Here's the pic that wouldn't upload from my computer last night
Jun 25, 2019, 10:22 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Did you use the por for the whole plane or just for the wing spar?
Jun 25, 2019, 11:56 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Here's the pic that wouldn't upload from my computer last night
Good looking plane ..... if possible , show us a video of the maiden flight !

Quick Reply