Jul 29, 2019, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Yes, we're saying the same thing.

It's nose heavy at takeoff, but by the end of the flight it's tail heavy. One of the advantages of electric!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2019, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guizzo 17
A really nice model Andy! However, if the model climbs running out of fuel, it's nose heavy.
A tail heavy model dives!
Whilst certainly not disputing the above ^^, I'd like, for my own education, an explanation behind this. Words of less than one syllable, suited to a five-year-old's mind, would be appreciated; thanks in advance.
Jul 29, 2019, 09:02 AM
Nose heavy requires up trim to fly level.
As fuel depletes, CG shifts back as tank is near front.
As cg shifts back, model will climb due to up trim.

If model starts tail heavy, it will only get worse as fuel burns. Bad things can happen!
Jul 29, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
With 18 minutes on 4 ounces, as much as I like flying, I think I'd rather put a 2 ounce dead weight up front with a 2 ounce fuel tank located closer to the CG. 9 minutes is plenty of flight time.

But Horizon doesn't sell 2 ounce fuel tanks anymore, so getting one even at a hobby shop is tough! I'll probably end up buying all that I find at swap meets, or just order direct from Sullivan.

Andy
Jul 29, 2019, 09:07 AM

Ah, so it's the trim that causes the climb/dive. Thanks, I hadn't counted on that.
Jul 29, 2019, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
The CG shifts nearly an inch (25mm) over the fuel burn.

Andy
Jul 29, 2019, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
The plans have been updated based on flying and modifications. The revised version is attached here.

Andy
Jul 29, 2019, 10:43 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Thanks Andy!
Aug 02, 2019, 06:07 AM
Thats really great, what a tribute to your dad.>>>>Well done my friend<<<<<<
Aug 02, 2019, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, Porter.

My next "tribute" build for my father will be a Sterling Cessna 180. That will finish up my building of RC models that he built when I was a kid. I've had the NIB kit for it several years now, I'm just working myself up to the point of starting it. Hopefully this winter.

Then I would need to start on C/L. That's a longer list!

The list of my "tribute" RC planes is:
Andy
Aug 02, 2019, 10:02 AM
Was your dad using a Heathkit radio? It looks like the first 3 channel radio I had. I built it for an electronics class in 1974. Got it on the cheap on close out $125 and they threw the third servo in on the deal!
Aug 02, 2019, 10:04 AM
Dup post
Aug 02, 2019, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
Was your dad using a Heathkit radio? It looks like the first 3 channel radio I had. I built it for an electronics class in 1974. Got it on the cheap on close out $125 and they threw the third servo in on the deal!
Yes, and I still have it at home in my collection. And it still works.

Andy

Quick Reply