Jul 09, 2019, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
It's actually way lighter than the original. Mine is 5/32" walnut; the original was 1/4". My fuse is built-up balsa; his was solid pine. The web on the spar isn't needed, especially near the tips, but it makes spacing the ribs consistent.

Like Dad did, I'm building it based on the materials on hand or easily accessible.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 08:01 AM
I must have misread your opening comments on this design for I did not pick up that your duplicating a model that your dad built using the same materials. I very much like it's simplicity.

I am sorry for implying that it looks heavy. I was commenting on the structure in that it looks very strong. 

Gene
Jul 09, 2019, 08:11 AM
Thread OP
Yes, the simplicity is great. I haven't built a plane in 2 weeks for a long time. The UMX ones I did were like that for speed.

It's not light, but it's lighter. It IS strong, you're right there! Can't wait to fly it!

Andy
Jul 09, 2019, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
While on the subject of weight, what you see here is 20 ounces.

To this I need to add 2 HS-81 servos, a fuel tank, 1S 800mAh LiPo, a receiver, and the undercarriage (which I'll probably leave off initially). Oh, and covering.

I should have no problem hitting 30 ounces, which will give good performance with a .10.

Andy
Jul 10, 2019, 09:34 AM
The most beautiful box with wings I've seen in a while! I have fuel-proof clear if you need it.
Jul 10, 2019, 09:47 AM
Cool - look forward to seeing some flights!
Jul 10, 2019, 10:38 AM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
What engine are you using Andy? Looks to be an OS Max .10 probably an FP. I'm using this same engine for a Ken Willard Sunday Fighter. I built the same airplane back in my teens in 1974. This version has built up wings the original had a set of Ace RC Foam Wings. As you can see from the stacked wings in the picture its a biplane. I'm building a pair to fly with the grandkids.
Jul 10, 2019, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
You guessed it exactly! I've wanted one of these since I was a kid, and a friend spotted one NIB at a sale a few months back and picked it up for me. I've got some REALLY GREAT friends!

I have a NIB .15FP that needs a home, too. Next year I plan to make it something.

Andy
Jul 10, 2019, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
You guessed it exactly! I've wanted one of these since I was a kid, and a friend spotted one NIB at a sale a few months back and picked it up for me. I've got some REALLY GREAT friends!

I have a NIB .15FP that needs a home, too. Next year I plan to make it something.

Andy
I picked up mine NIB as well along with a NIB .15 FP. Since I am building a pair the German flavor will have a slight power advantage. I ended up buying OS 761/871 muffler extensions to get a better fit with the muffler for both airplanes. Tower still has them in stock since they also fit the .15 LA they carry. I have a similar project to build a pair of RCM Sopwith Triplanes. One will be the stock Sopwith look the other will be modified to look like a Fokker DR1. Power on those will be Enya SS15. I have one NIB and one used. Got them in a trade for a used .40 FP. It was converted to C/L and is now pulling around a Ringmaster. 2 cycle glow isn't dead yet!
Jul 10, 2019, 11:11 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the hint on extensions. I'll order a set just in case I need them.

Andy
Jul 10, 2019, 11:15 AM
I couldn't get the muffler to fit without some surgery on the fuselage side so I used it. I got one for the .15 in case I need it.
Jul 11, 2019, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Back when I was a kid I could have covered this whole plane in a few hours.

Last night it took me 2 hours and all I got done was one wing.

But it's not going to look like a kid did it all in a few hours either, so I'll take it.

Andy
Jul 11, 2019, 08:44 AM
Quality takes time Andy it will be worth it. Of course I have to say since there is no picture it didn't happen.
Jul 11, 2019, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
Quality takes time Andy it will be worth it. Of course I have to say since there is no picture it didn't happen.
Here's your proof

I have to make one new aileron. It turns out that one is bent a little more than I would want.

First photo is from before I started. 5 hours later, the rest is covered. Nothing has been shrunk yet.

I was considering staining the fuselage, but the open balsa framework wouldn't take the pressure of sanding.

Andy
Jul 11, 2019, 10:39 PM
I stand corrected! Beautiful color!

Quick Reply