Aug 21, 2019, 09:13 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink
Gadzooks, stout yeoman!...
Nay, Good Sire, no negativity here; I fear I've been misconstrued..! I'm very optimistic on being able to potter about the skies, and maybe not even crash'n'burn at every outing. It's a slow, steady slog, but I'm getting there. It's just that most of you have fifty or more years head-start on me..! My ambitions are lowly, certainly, but I'm fully confident that I'll be able to enjoy each and every one of my current 'planes, and those yet to be built, in the fullness of time, if I take 'em in sequence. No sirree, no negativity here..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Jolly good point the Colonel makes...
Good points from both of you, and many others. In fact, I already have a 'plane that fits the flight characteristics proposed, in the form of my Goldberg Electra powered glider. I'm able, now, in suitably calm conditions, to get her to circle around gracefully, and to land in one piece (although not always in the spot I'd intended; still a bit of panic when low to the ground...). My bigger challenge is the 'mastery' (OK, minimal competence would do...) of 3-axis flight. piloting with ailerons is my goal. My original intention was to build a powered glider from a Russian plan I'd translated (an aileron glider designed by one Vladimir 'Lazy' Khudyakov...), but I got derailed by the Challenges offered by this site, and have learned since that there are other, more suitable, first choices for aileron flight. I've since been given a Bixler foamie, which has most of the qualities required for learning on, including ease of repair, of which I've already abused muchly. I'll take the hint, just the same, and see about rustling up a Paageboy. It's all good, innit..!
As for the Curtiss Condor: The Challenge that time was to choose a plan that had no picture on OuterZone. How, then, was I supposed to know what it would look like when finished, eh..? Be fair, now..!

to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 06:15 PM
Thread OP

Hmm... I've been perusing the plans on line from the Vic Smeed stable, and, although there are many fine 'planes in there, they are, for the most part, either free-flight or single-channel R/C. Understandable, of course, given their vintage, but even those that struck me as candidates would need modification to become electric 2-axis flyers. I did find two that have already had this treatment, and will look more closely at both. Those retained for the moment are the Cherub 150, which is a 150% Smeed Cherub, converted by Ian Easton, and the Pops, derived and enlarged from the Smeed Popsie by Frank E. J. White. There's also an Aesop, from the Popsie mold, too, but smaller than the previous, available as a laser-cut kit. Of those, the Cherub 150 has the edge, for the moment.
In looking through my files already garnered, I came across the Texaco Legacy, designed by Tom Decker, which has an added advantage of having a second plan for an aileron wing, thus making a 2-axis into a 3-axis as an option. It's big, at 84" (2m13...), compared to the Cherub 150's 44.5" (1m13...) span, but both are 'buildable'. Any comments on these as substitutes for a PAA-type 'plane..?
Aug 21, 2019, 06:23 PM
Well, I personally would go for the Cherub 150 It's an easy build and fly's well. By the way the thickness of the wing tips on the plan are incorrect they should be a lot thinner. They were correct on the original hand drawn plan but got miss-labeled in the production plan. I'd have to dig out the plan to get the correct size. Build it light and it thermals well. I would extend the dihedral brace an extra bay too as I used to see a bit of flex in mine.
Aug 21, 2019, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Word, and from the Horse's Mouth (if you'll pardon the expression..!). Yes, I saw the correction concerning the tips, corrected to 1/8" on OZ. A Good Tip about the dihedral braces, too, so thanks for that (although I'm not aiming at wing-folding aerobatics, at least, not on purpose ..!). I doubt I'd be using the planned motor, of course, as I have brushless and Lipo on hand. My main worry, going down that route, would be to get the C of G in the right place, given the lightweight nature of modern gear. I've not done concave underside wings yet, either, so that will be fun..!
Be warned: I'm quite capable of hounding you with all sorts of dumb and inane questions. Just sayin'.
Aug 21, 2019, 07:17 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Stone me Douglas, you don't half like to complicate matters! Of course most of them are F/F models. that's the whole point, it makes them EASY TO FLY. Fitting RET control to a model such as the Paageboy I suggested is a piece of cake, with electric getting the CG right is no sweat as you have the lipo position to play with and the resulting model is quick and cheap to build and will provide hours of STICK TIME which seemed to me to be what you needed. Don't get hung up on the aileron business, If you can get in the hours on an RET model to gain confidence in doing accurate and repeated touch and goes then flying ANY model will become easy. What you need is air time and lots of it so that your reactions become automatic and panic no longer sets in when the ground approaches, and for this purpose the presence or absence of ailerons is completely irrelevant. The Electra you mention is fine, but as a soarer rather than a power model you are nt going to get that repetitive practice at circuits and bumps which is the real key to becoming truly relaxed and in control.

End of sermon! And the reason I am writing this at 2:15 a.m. is that our ***** little she cat keeps coming and meowing at the Velux window and then won't come in when I get up and open a door for her. Women!!
Aug 21, 2019, 07:41 PM
Thread OP

I'll be blowed if I had to get out of bed to let a cat in..! (Although in the past, I have got out of bed to chase a cat out of the house..! They're not allowed inside; they're worse than the mice they're supposed to catch..!)

But seriously: I take the point about doing circuits, rather than just soaring. Any thoughts on a Cherub 150, just the same..? I couldn't mess up the conversion if it's already converted, and it is basically a Vic Smeed 'plane, in essence.
Last edited by Dad3353; Aug 21, 2019 at 07:58 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 12:31 AM
The Cherub looks good
Aug 22, 2019, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Word, and from the Horse's Mouth (if you'll pardon the expression..!). Yes, I saw the correction concerning the tips, corrected to 1/8" on OZ. A Good Tip about the dihedral braces, too, so thanks for that (although I'm not aiming at wing-folding aerobatics, at least, not on purpose ..!). I doubt I'd be using the planned motor, of course, as I have brushless and Lipo on hand. My main worry, going down that route, would be to get the C of G in the right place, given the lightweight nature of modern gear. I've not done concave underside wings yet, either, so that will be fun..!
Be warned: I'm quite capable of hounding you with all sorts of dumb and inane questions. Just sayin'.
No problem - happy to help. It might take a while to get an answer sometimes as I'm not on here as often as I used to be. It was shear coincidence that I found mention of the Cherub today. I was interested in your SE5 and stumbled upon it.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:32 AM
Thread OP
Aug 23, 2019, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Easton
No problem - happy to help...
Well, I did give fair warning that there might be questions, and here are two of 'em. Nothing too frightening as yet, I hope, but still...
I'm preparing for a Cherub 150 build, and have tile-printed the plan. I've a full plan on order, which will arrive in due course, but in the meantime, I'm cutting out templates for wing and tailplane ribs, and the fuselage flanks. Hence my first question : The sheet balsa I have is 'standard' 100 mm wide. The fuselage at its widest is approx 150 mm. I assume I'll have to splice two sheets, lengthwise, to accommodate this; could you confirm, please, or suggest an alternative solution..?
The second question is more in the line of curiosity. I see that the fuselage flanks do not extend right to the nose of the Cherub. Is there a major reason for this..? I would have thought it simple enough to have the whole flank in one piece (OK, spliced...), and build the thickness of the nose section by lining on the inside with the 1/4" wood. Is the nose, as drawn on the plan, simply glued on to the front..? Of course, I may have missed something important when looking the plan over; it wouldn't be the first time..!

It will maybe be better if I start a new topic on this subject; I'll do that once I get cracking on the Build, or whenever the next questions come up, whichever comes first..!
Aug 23, 2019, 10:03 PM
I remember I cut my sides from a 150mm sheet. The front is per the original FF plan with the nose being carved from thicker sheets affixed to the first former. You need the weight up there anyway. Probably best to start a new thread. I have the hand drawn original plan if you need a copy.
Aug 24, 2019, 03:36 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
"Splice two sheets lengthwise". Not wishing to teach my grandmother etc. but just in case it is a new thing to you THE way to do this is: 1. Pin down the sheets in close contact (having made sure the edges are straight, obviously). 2. Run a line of masking tape down the joint and press down well. 3. Unpin he sheets, turn them over and hinge apart. 4. Run a bead of BALSA CEMENT (definitely the best adhesive for this job) down the join. 5. Close the hinge, pin/weight the sheets back down (tape side down) and wipe off excess cement along the join before it sets. 6. Lightly sand when dry.
Aug 24, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Duly noted ^^; thanks, both.

Painting, this afternoon. Only a couple of minor details laft, such as the exhault manifolds, and wheel cones...

I can't show the state of my fingers at the end of this exercise, as I had to wash 'em before I could touch the camera..!
Aug 24, 2019, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
Time to start dressing the little lady up a bit. The front cowling and cockpit area have templates on the plan for paper sheeting. Carbon-copied onto ornery printer paper, here they are, cut out and PVA-glued in place...

The radiator is only dry-fitted, just to see how it goes in.
A bit of a pain, doing that, but it's done, now. Not much more before covering in earnest, but not tonight, my eyes are 'shot'.
Aug 30, 2019, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Little by little...

I've started covering with my iron-on laminating film. Bad eyesight, working on tiny, fragile, pieces applying invisible film with 'sausage' fingers. Still, they say that "It's an ill wind..." etc; at least I can't see any mistakes..! Here's the tacking down of the underside of a lower wing half...

The steel rule helps prevent slippage (I hope..!). Further back one may see (just..!) the tailplane and fin/rudder being held flat under another rule, and the fuselage. Yes, I know that you can't see the film (neither can I...); it's transparent. I've tried to get reflections from them all here ...

... but it ain't easy.
S'all for this evening; I'll see if I can continue tomorrow. The film goes on very easily, in fact, far easier than tissue on such lightweight parts. I'm still not decided whether to apply tissue on top, or airbrush directly. Decisions, decisions...

Quick Reply