This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 24, 2019, 06:03 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Durn, she sure is purdy.

After a whole lot of assembly, detailing and waiting for the new ESCs, the new/old FlyFly Duke B60 lives!

Like the original, it took nearly a half a pound of lead up in the nose to balance it out. The factory recommendation would have made for a horribly tail heavy model. Not surprising; that was one of the worst manuals I've ever encountered and I mentioned that in the review of the original model. For the record, it balances just fine a few millimeters in front of the wing spar.

To recap, the one you see in the photos was the original review kit less the electronics and the prototypical pull-pull retractable nose wheel. An ESC failure wadded in that original, so out came this version after languishing for five years.

What the photo also shows is the very first decal set for this model by the one and only Callie Graphics. I sent the original sheet to Callie Soden and she was able to create a color-corrected custom set which included separate drop shadows for the tail number and a far more accurate Colombian flag on the vertical stab.

The new ESCs are fresh new E-Flite 50-amp units with the BEC disabled on one of them. On the original, both BECs were active on a single channel which may have led to the failure of one of them at the PC board. Propellers are from Master Airscrew and the remainder of the electronics are off of the original model. I'd stolen the main retracts some time ago for another model, but there wasn't anything wrong with the ones on the crashed model, so I used them. The new struts from the kit were used just because I wanted to use as many new parts as possible.

Another fun upgrade was some E-flite LED nav lights which, unfortunately, aren't particularly bright. Still, they work. A pair of 3000mAh 4S packs from Lectron Pro provided the juice.

Am I happy? Oh, you'd better believe it. These decals truly make the model and this model was also built with far greater care than the largely factory prefab version which preceded it. Flight characteristics match those of the excellent original. The only downer was the loss of one of the foam wiring covers underneath the wing. Of the parts I salvaged from the original, two of those parts happened to be those covers, identical on both left and right. I saw the cover fly off, but I couldn't take my eye off of the model to see where it landed...and we couldn't find it later.

Despite that now-corrected setback, I have an old favorite reborn in a new airframe and I look forward to being able to fly it again very soon!
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Nov 27, 2019 at 09:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply