Jun 24, 2019, 01:56 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

FullSpeed Toothpick Pro - Now up till 4S, better, or...? (review, work in progress)

The FullSpeed Toothpick has been pretty well received so far. While the first version already was rated up to 3S, and this might already seem overkill for a small and light brushless flyer. But FullSpeed decided to turn it up a notch, and beef it up considerably.

Lewis. from FullSpeed, offered to send oen of these for evaluation, and it will hopefully arrive here soon, so I can share some more details on it. Meanwhile, let's have a look at the specs and currently available info.

26 june 2019: Quad has arrived, so more info soon

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long written review, instead of some summarizing remarks or a single video, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic or on your RCG blog page. And please, no affiliate links!

Note: When clicking a link that is posted in this review, some text or numbers might be added to the link, making it appear to be an affiliate link. However, all links I post in the review are clean, and this addition is done automatically by your browser and forum software, so sadly beyond my influence. If you don’t want this to happen, copy the link, then paste this in an address line of a fresh browser window/tab.

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Preparing for 1st Flight (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
8: Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a picture and a link:

When this review was started, the PnP version of the Toothpick Pro was priced 127 USD, and there are also various versions available with receiver, as BnF: http://www.fullspeedrc.com/fullspeed...vtx_p0206.html

Specification:
Brand Name: FullSpeed
Item Name: Toothpick PRO
Weight: 65g (without battery)
Thickness of bottom plate: 2.5mm
Flight controller: FSD412(F411 2-4S FC) 5V 2A BEC built-in OSD
ESC: FSD412(1-4S ESC) BLHELI_S 4in1 ESC Dshot600
Motor: 1106 4500KV
Propeller: 2535 4-blade propeller
Camera: Caddx Micro F2 camera with angle adjustable(0°- 45°)
VTX: FSD TX600 Pit/25/100/200/400/600 switchable VTX(support IRC Tramp)

FullSpeed FSD412 (F411 FC) Flight controller
Size: 20mm x 20mm x 5mm
Mounting hole: 16mm x 16mm
MCU: STM32 F411
Gyroscope: MPU6000
BEC: 5V/2A
Input Voltage: 2-4S Lipo or 2- 4S HV Lipo
Built-in Betaflight OSD

FullSpeed FSD412 (1-4S ESC)BLHELI_S 4in1 ESC
Size: 20mm x 25mm x 5mm
Mounting hole: 16mm x 16mm
Firmware: BLHELI_S
Input Voltage: 1-4S Lipo or 1- 4S HV Lipo
Continuous current: 12A
BEC Ouput: NO

FullSpeed FSD TX600 25mW-600mW VTX FPV Transmitter
Output power: PIT/25mW/100mW/200mW/400mW/600mW switchable
Control mode:BFOSD control(support IRC Tramp)/button
Video system: NTSC/PAL
Antenna: IPEX
BAT: 5V Recommended
Frequency: 5.8GHz 6 bands 48 channels, with Raceband: 5362-5945 MHZ
(TX600's factory set up is on lock mode(5733-5866MHZ unlock). Please follow your local laws and regulations
if you need to unlock the frequency.)
Size: 26*26mm(L*W),Hole:20*20mm
Weight: 2.3g

Package Include(BNF include receiver)
1 x Toothpick PRO frame kit
1 x FSD412 2-4S 12A Flight tower
4 x 1106-4500KV brushless motor
5 x 2535 4-blade propeller(CW)
5 x 2535 4-blade propeller(CCW)
1 x Caddx Micro F2
1 x FSD TX600 25mW-600mW VTX FPV Transmitter

One of the obvious changes compared to the original FullSpeed Toothpick, are the much bigger motors, from 1103 to 1106 size, running 4 blade props instead of the push on 2 blade ones. The frame is also thicker, from 1.5mm to 2.5mm.

2 - Unboxing:

No surprises here, at least if you have purchased a FullSpeed product before, a simple cardboard box, with sticker to label it's contents, and the quad held in a white foam insert.

Inside we find a few different size battery straps, 10 props, an adhesive rubber pad for the battery mounting, some stickers and some ribbon tape, the sort that is used to secure wires to frame arms:

Apart from the bigger motors and the capacitator, it looks a lot like the regular FullSpeed Toothpick.

Here you can see the motors (same as Leader 3) up close, and the thicker frame plate:

There is good access to the USB port, and the motor wires are no longer using plugs, but are soldered onto the ESC:

Build quality seemed ok, all screws were tight, and I could not detect any obvious flaws at first sight.

3 – Preparing for 1st Flight:

The FC runs on BetaFlight 4.0.2 and is identified as FULLSPEEDF411 (FSDF4) for firmware target. Custom settings have been applied, like PIDs, receiver setup, and some other things. Here are the stock PID settings:

A full CLI dump can be found attached to the second message in this thread, should you need it for future reference. After making this backup, I only changed the bare minimum, some settings that didn't agree with my preferences, such as Modes, and a few values that don't affect flying.

Binding the FrSky receiver is easy, just slide it out of it's "hiding spot" and press the bind button while connecting the battery. Sadly, FullSpeed's Nano receiver only supports D8 mode, so if you have a new X9 Lite, you may not be able to use it, at least not yet. Support for D16 like most SPI Whoop receivers, would be more convenient, as that is already supported even on the latest FrSky radios, with new software.

Some pre-flight checks later, like testing fail safe before putting on props, and the quad was ready for a first hover. Since the 1106 motors would probably need some voltage to get a decent RPM, I decided to start with a 3S 450mAh GNB battery. So here's how it looked, all prepared for the first flight:

4 - Flying Performance:

As common for me, when testing a new quad, the first flight was indoor, basically hovering, checking for drift in self leveling modes, weird noises and control response. No problems were detected, and short throttle punches showed the quad really wanting to rise fast. Time to go outside where it can unleash it's full power.

5 - Camera & FPV Performance:

For camera, FullSpeed again selected the Caddx Micro F2, a light CMOS camera. This camera has good detail, but tends to struggle a bit with reddish colors, giving these a pinkish appearance. There is also a decent chance on having dirt inside the camera, stuck to the inside of the lens or image sensor, giving permanent marks on the image, requiring to take the camera apart and blast some air through it. This particular camera seemed clean though.

VTX is the TX600, a VTX that allows to switch power up till 600mW. To unlock full power and all channels, the button on the VTX needs to be pressed for 20 seconds. This button is a bit hidden, but can be more easily reached with an actual wooden toothpick.

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

7 - Preliminary Verdict:

The FullSpeedToothpick Pro is a great flying quad, plenty of power, smooth, well tuned, and has a nice VTX. If it can really be considered a Toothpick, when the weight is much higher than stuff like SailFly-X, opinions can vary on that. But it does have the agility to fly around obstacles, and also the range to fly futher out, if needed. That is, if you replace the stock receiver.

Another drawback for some can be the stock camera, which doesn't have the best color reproduction. And the single screw holding the canopy up front, isn't enough to prevent vibrations from affecting the FPV image. This can be fixed, but a redesign of that area might be a smart idea.

Pros:

- Smooth motors, with lots of power
- VTX up till 600mW
- F4 flight controller with BetaFlight OSD
- Well tuned
- Comes with 10 props, 2 1/2 complete sets
- Easy access to receiver

Cons:

- Color reproduction of the Caddx camera isn't very faithful to reality
- Some jello and other shakes due to canopy being secured with one screw at the front.
- Bit hard to reach the unlock button of VTX

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jul 03, 2019 at 06:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
8 – Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info

- Better fixation of the canopy at the front, to reduce vibrations in FPV image

During throttle punches, I kept having some vibrations and also jello in the FPV image. On the regular FullSpeed Toothpick, people also observed this, and some fixed it with a few zip ties, to better hold down the canopy. Here's an example on where to install these:

9 – Suggestions for Improvements:

- Different camera, the color reproduction of the installed Caddx isn't great. Maybe consider a RunCam Nano 2?
- Re-design the canopy so it will be held with a screw on each corner, instead of a single one in the middle
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jun 30, 2019 at 02:10 AM.
Jun 24, 2019, 02:33 PM
65g dry? lol. now that we're fully approaching the weight of micro quads from 2 years ago, why are we still calling them toothpicks? Kabab must be happy now that he's pretty much owned the micro scene with everything henceforth being called toothpicks.
Jun 24, 2019, 02:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexyp
65g dry? lol. now that we're fully approaching the weight of micro quads from 2 years ago, why are we still calling them toothpicks? Kabab must be happy now that he's pretty much owned the micro scene with everything henceforth being called toothpicks.

Yeah, it does feel a bit like coming full circle. Even when comparing the Sailfly-X with a self made FullSpeed Toothpick (Tiny Leader electronics on FS Toothpick frame) there is a considerable difference in flight characteristics. With the "Pro" it's basically a Leader 3 setup, with 2.5mm props. With the only benefit having a 22g lighter dry weight compared to Leader 3. Which is considerable, but still almost 50% heavier than the SailFly-X. So I'm curious if it will still have a good performance, with great flight times, or feel very similar to lightweight 2 inch quads, like Arfun 90 etc.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jun 24, 2019, 03:10 PM
With regards to performance, the 1106s are good motors, so it really depends on the props they're gonna use. Are 2.5" 4 blades really the optimal choice for 4s though? Seems like a wasted opportunity for them to move up to 3" props to get more efficiency.
Jun 24, 2019, 03:23 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
toothpick my !

why not just call it a leader v3?

2.5" on 4s WtotheF?!
Jun 24, 2019, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
"Leader 3 Light" might have been a more fitting name indeed. Either FullSpeed will surprise us with this one, or it will be an example of "evolving in the wrong direction". I must admit I'm also sceptical, but can't give a full verdict until I've flown it.
Jun 25, 2019, 05:09 AM
Registered User Friendly
I see the logic pairing the 4500kv motors with the 2535 4-blade props on 4s. I have the rotorx 2535s on my sailfly and it flies real smooth. What i'm doubtful about is the weight. The smallest 4s i've seen so far is 450mah tattu which comes in at 58g. A 4s 550mah weighs around 67g, and a 650mah at 80g. Will it perform better? I would guess it wouldn't be any different than any other micro with the same weight.
Jun 25, 2019, 10:07 AM
2 videos already up.

FullSpeed Toothpick PRO 4s FPV Drone ESC test (1 min 19 sec)

FullSpeed Toothpick PRO 4s flight footage by Rohens 1 (3 min 7 sec)
Jun 25, 2019, 10:10 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch
Classic tune!
Jun 25, 2019, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
Classic tune!

Sure is
Jun 25, 2019, 12:07 PM
Registered User Friendly
sounds like they were wearing underwear 3 sizes too small
Jun 26, 2019, 09:45 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Solo- can't wait to see how this one does. Looking forward to your review and VIDEOs.

I like my non Pro 3S version... still hunting for the perfect props, but really Love how light it is.

This one does gain weight but will be an insane rocket ship I am sure.
Jun 26, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1
Solo- can't wait to see how this one does. Looking forward to your review and VIDEOs.

I like my non Pro 3S version... still hunting for the perfect props, but really Love how light it is.

This one does gain weight but will be an insane rocket ship I am sure.

Pssst, don't tell anyone, but it has arrived today...
Jun 26, 2019, 02:00 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Pssst, don't tell anyone, but it has arrived today...
Nice!! RIP Videos are expected ASAP!!

Quick Reply