Thread Tools
Jun 24, 2019, 11:36 AM
Registered User
Monza Red's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

ASP seems to have ceased production.


According to the British website, "Model Flying" ASP has ceased producing model aeroplane engines. https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums...?th=143113&p=1
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 12:18 PM
Dieselized User
gkamysz's Avatar
This is not surprising. I asked someone in the business about it a couple months ago and was told the manager who oversaw model engine production retired. He was a hobbyist and chances of anyone filling his shoes were quite small.
Jun 24, 2019, 12:23 PM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Gary Cee's Avatar
So much for Bert's predictions.

Sad to see. I wonder if other makers were buying parts from them.
Jun 24, 2019, 12:45 PM
Registered User
Magnum was using the Sanye facility. Mike Goes Flying didn't get off to a flying start with his business then. Perhaps he could get in touch with Novarossi, they are not represented well. Maybe the eastern block will take over? Fora, Profi... There may be nothing for a while till the used stuff dries up.
Jun 24, 2019, 01:51 PM
Registered User
Mike Goes Flying has some Magnum and ASP engines and says they are expecting to get more when production gets back up and running. Seems the manufacturer in China moved and expanded and model engines aren't their #1 priority. Just a few months ago they had lots of engines. I picked up a Magnum XL70FS. Great price and great running engine. Keep your fingers crossed for new production.

https://www.mikegoesflying.com/produ...plane-engines/
Jun 24, 2019, 07:56 PM
Registered User
是的,asp工厂已经清算破产重组,中国的爱好者收购了很多库存产品,比如我。。。。。……… ………
Jun 24, 2019, 08:09 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
English translation:
Yes, the asp factory has been liquidated and bankruptcy reorganization, and Chinese fans have acquired a lot of inventory products, such as me. . . . . .....................
Jun 24, 2019, 11:01 PM
MotionRC Europe
Stuart Warne's Avatar
This actually happened almost two years ago, but they kept telling suppliers they were moving to a new factory.

It’s a shame there is no cheaper alternative in glow 4-strokes now, as they also made SC, Magnum and orhers.

S
Jun 24, 2019, 11:50 PM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
All is not lost. There is still MECOA.

http://www.mecoa.com/
Jun 25, 2019, 12:47 AM
Registered User
fiery's Avatar
Buy any spares you need while you can. When they're gone they'll be gone for good.

A pity. This is the end if Magnum, ASP, SC, SY, and Three Leaves major brands and a host of house brands like Sanye built DC, Kyosho etc.
Jun 25, 2019, 01:56 AM
Diesel Danny
danny mz's Avatar
I for one won't miss them Fiery.

The words' model engine', 'quality' and 'China' do not deserve to be used in the same sentence IMHO.

They started by cloning the decent brands that were developed with hard won expertise, often manufacturing parts that fitted the original engine but at a fraction of the cost and usually of lower quality.

This forced the 'traditional' engine manufacturers into a downward spiral so that companies such as O.S. were reduced to producing the L.A. series of cheap and pretty plain bearing engines to compete with the Chinese takeaways.

Nothing wrong with the O.S. L.A. Series btw. For the target audience they were a cheap and reliable alternative with a reputable manufacturer to back them - but for performance they fell a long way short of when O.S. made performance engines that many of us still prize today such as the FSR and P.S. Series.

Cutting costs by the innovative 'nickel plating' did them no favours either as people with less brains than O.S. anticipated used cheap fuel with more nitro and unsuitable oil than their I.Q. managed to wreck them.

Enya suffered the same fate. Quality engines, well built but undercut by cheap alternatives and an ageing design team. Never ever had a bad Enya.

So to the recent kid on the block - EVO.

Styled to look pretty but a real POS if one get's stuck with one - Buy a few spare mufflers btw, they fall off regularly. Carbs are not much good either.

It appears that Jett and a few Ukrainian specialists are the only people making decent model engines nowadays. I exclude Laser as they are useful for scale models that require plenty of noseweight

As for electrics and foamies - Don't ask as a very rude reply might result.

* Danny M *
Jun 25, 2019, 02:19 AM
Registered User
I think Steven would really appreciate your backing of his own brilliant Aussie manufactured engines Danny !
Jun 25, 2019, 02:27 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz

It appears that Jett and a few Ukrainian specialists are the only people making decent model engines nowadays. I exclude Laser as they are useful for scale models that require plenty of noseweight

* Danny M *
You could add West Eurotech to the list https://www.westonuk.co.uk/West-Eurotech-Aero/
Jun 25, 2019, 02:59 AM
Diesel Danny
danny mz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Potter
I think Steven would really appreciate your backing of his own brilliant Aussie manufactured engines Danny !
Geoff. Steve Rothwell has demonstrated that quality control of model engine manufacture can result in engines that are well appreciated and in demand by serious competitors worldwide. I have a few examples of his work along with custom rebuilds from Robbie Hiern and other talented Australian engine re-workers. They kick butts!

I do not have a sample of your work as your expertise is outside my interests but as I understand the vintage brigade highly appreciate your talent to transform a mediocre engine into a competitive product.

Just keep up the good work Geoff

* Danny M *
Jun 25, 2019, 04:38 AM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Gary Cee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz
I for one won't miss them Fiery.

The words' model engine', 'quality' and 'China' do not deserve to be used in the same sentence IMHO.

They started by cloning the decent brands that were developed with hard won expertise, often manufacturing parts that fitted the original engine but at a fraction of the cost and usually of lower quality.

This forced the 'traditional' engine manufacturers into a downward spiral so that companies such as O.S. were reduced to producing the L.A. series of cheap and pretty plain bearing engines to compete with the Chinese takeaways.

Nothing wrong with the O.S. L.A. Series btw. For the target audience they were a cheap and reliable alternative with a reputable manufacturer to back them - but for performance they fell a long way short of when O.S. made performance engines that many of us still prize today such as the FSR and P.S. Series.

Cutting costs by the innovative 'nickel plating' did them no favours either as people with less brains than O.S. anticipated used cheap fuel with more nitro and unsuitable oil than their I.Q. managed to wreck them.

Enya suffered the same fate. Quality engines, well built but undercut by cheap alternatives and an ageing design team. Never ever had a bad Enya.

So to the recent kid on the block - EVO.

Styled to look pretty but a real POS if one get's stuck with one - Buy a few spare mufflers btw, they fall off regularly. Carbs are not much good either.

It appears that Jett and a few Ukrainian specialists are the only people making decent model engines nowadays. I exclude Laser as they are useful for scale models that require plenty of noseweight

As for electrics and foamies - Don't ask as a very rude reply might result.

* Danny M *
So well said!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Why does HK discontinue seemingly great products? tommyt HobbyKing 24 Nov 01, 2018 11:51 AM
Discussion Having trouble, Taranis X9D seems to have stopped Tx to Rx. Was fine for months? Quadthrash Fpv New Member Section 0 Oct 12, 2018 10:52 PM
Help! Motors don't seem to have enough thrust. Quad4 Beginner Multirotor Drones 15 Jun 09, 2016 10:37 PM
Help! Motors seem to have enough thrust. Quad4 Eagle Tree Systems 2 Jun 07, 2016 10:09 AM
Discussion Seems to have lost his joystick... Stuart A Life, The Universe, and Politics 2 Oct 20, 2015 09:52 AM