Thread Tools
Jun 23, 2019, 08:47 PM
It's not going to build itself
TRISME's Avatar
Thread OP
Build Log

Contender rehab


A wee little upgrade on my Contender. I flew this into a treeish bush on our slope some months ago. It removed the fin and loosened the horizontal stab from the seat. Itís a great all arounder and with the ballast, it really moves out! Iíve missed flying it. The wings are non-standard, carbon bagged, single taper wings but the tails were light balsa covered in Ultrakote. The color difference of the paint and covering always bugged me, and the tails took some damage a few times. I didnít do a full flying rudder on mine, because I was concerned it would not be durable enough for my flying site or my flying skill set.
I cut a rudder from the fin and hinged and glued it on the fuse. I thought if it ever took a good hit, the glue joint would give way, and my fin would survive. My idea worked, the fin is still unscathed, but has come off a few times when I thought it should not have. The rudder worked great and I never even used it at full throw.
So, I made some new tail feathers and bagged them with glass. When I built the plane originally, the only thing I had ever bagged were my groceries. Now Iíll glass these to the fuse like I do on my PSS planes, and I can paint everything to match. The plane always flew light, even with a shorter span than most. I think the new tails will add a little weight, but hopefully nothing that Iíll regret. Here are a couple of pics.
Tom
Last edited by TRISME; Jun 23, 2019 at 09:03 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2019, 09:36 PM
Firecracker!
BillO's Avatar
Nice project! I have never seen one but I hear they fly well. Can you estimate the flying weight?
Jun 23, 2019, 09:39 PM
Just Toss It !!!
MATIN's Avatar
You should put an UberDrive in that thing.
Jun 23, 2019, 09:57 PM
Registered User
cb4004's Avatar
Matin how would one go about getting a hold of an UberDrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN
You should put an UberDrive in that thing.
Jun 23, 2019, 10:12 PM
Registered User
Go Tom go!! Sweet!!
Contenders are awesome and Iím happy to see you take the time to restore / upgrade this model.

Cheers Mike
Jun 23, 2019, 10:34 PM
Just Toss It !!!
MATIN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4004
Matin how would one go about getting a hold of an UberDrive?
PM me and tell me which plane and which servos.
If we've developed one, you'll get it soon.
If we haven't developed it, we'll use you fuselage to develop it and you'll get the first copy for free.
Jun 23, 2019, 10:46 PM
It's not going to build itself
TRISME's Avatar
Thread OP
I put a polished set of Ward-bling in this one, when I first built it.
I would definitely like an Uberdrive for a Vmax. edit .......and a Rotor and a Shredder, and a Scepter, and an Orca. All in good time
Last edited by TRISME; Jun 24, 2019 at 12:21 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 12:06 AM
Just Toss It !!!
MATIN's Avatar
I should have a Vmax UberDrive soon.
Jun 24, 2019, 12:29 AM
It's not going to build itself
TRISME's Avatar
Thread OP
Oh boy!
Jun 24, 2019, 12:49 AM
Just Toss It !!!
MATIN's Avatar
Just tell me the folowing:

1) Is it a V or T tail ( pitcheron or wingeron ?)
2) Which are your preferred servos?
3) Is it going to have a TTTGU?
Jun 24, 2019, 12:52 AM
It's not going to build itself
TRISME's Avatar
Thread OP
Vtail, pitcheron, not sure about servos, it will have TTTGU.
Jun 24, 2019, 01:01 AM
Just Toss It !!!
MATIN's Avatar
Got it.
Wing span?
Jun 24, 2019, 01:20 AM
It's not going to build itself
TRISME's Avatar
Thread OP
Dunno. It may be time to open the box.
Jun 24, 2019, 02:10 AM
Just Toss It !!!
MATIN's Avatar
No rush!
Jun 24, 2019, 08:59 AM
The Legend continues
CR_Aircraft's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
A wee little upgrade on my Contender. I flew this into a treeish bush on our slope some months ago. It removed the fin and loosened the horizontal stab from the seat. Itís a great all arounder and with the ballast, it really moves out! Iíve missed flying it. The wings are non-standard, carbon bagged, single taper wings but the tails were light balsa covered in Ultrakote. The color difference of the paint and covering always bugged me, and the tails took some damage a few times. I didnít do a full flying rudder on mine, because I was concerned it would not be durable enough for my flying site or my flying skill set.
I cut a rudder from the fin and hinged and glued it on the fuse. I thought if it ever took a good hit, the glue joint would give way, and my fin would survive. My idea worked, the fin is still unscathed, but has come off a few times when I thought it should not have. The rudder worked great and I never even used it at full throw.
So, I made some new tail feathers and bagged them with glass. When I built the plane originally, the only thing I had ever bagged were my groceries. Now Iíll glass these to the fuse like I do on my PSS planes, and I can paint everything to match. The plane always flew light, even with a shorter span than most. I think the new tails will add a little weight, but hopefully nothing that Iíll regret. Here are a couple of pics.
Tom
Tom,

I take it the wings were unscathed? These were the single taper that Charlie moved to after the classic swept-back version. I remember we all loved your paint job


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Rehab eurofighter 64mm Edf fotoreb Foamy EDFs 1 Dec 11, 2016 07:33 AM
Discussion Rehabing wrecks chip.greely Slope 7 Sep 22, 2016 11:13 PM
Discussion Jasco Floater g 110 rehab John Cole Thermal 51 Jul 20, 2016 10:56 PM
Discussion Rehab of a Sig Spacewalker azzoun Painting and Finishing Tips 4 Jul 12, 2016 07:36 AM