This thread is privately moderated by BernardW, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 23, 2019, 03:54 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Thread OP
Discussion

New tools on current build, modified Stik

The mutant Stik-shaped model is coming along bit by bit as I can find the time. I've been using that build like a blog, for general model-related guff, and neglecting this page so I'll try to keep in mind what each is really meant for. What I wanted to post here is my good results with new tools, for me anyway, on that build. I made a little sanding jig like a bench hook with an extra base piece sticking out one side and that works as a track to slide a sanding bar along. The top piece of the jig is square to that edge so it's easy to sand a piece square. The sanding bar is made of 50 x 30mm rectangular aluminium extrusion with sandpaper spray glued to it, and a gap at the bottom to clear the base of the jig. It works great, especially for sanding the angles on the ends of the diagonal braces in the Warren truss rear fuselage sides. I mark the angle I want on each brace from the stringers then place it on the jig at roughly that angle, first to use it as a bench hook while I saw it then to sand it to fit. It works very well. I bought another 1 metre long piece of the same hollow bar as a long sander and it's also been very handy. I've got coarse 80 grit paper on one side and 180 on the other. So far I've used it mainly to true up the edges of full length balsa sheets for edge gluing, as I needed to join 3 sheets for each skin for the wing D-tubes. It gives a nice straight edge that's properly square to the face all the way along, which isn't guaranteed using a blade and straight edge. The sheets join perfectly when prepared this way. Around Christmas I got a Triton spindle sander on special and I'm really happy with it too. With just a little practice I have found it very helpful working ply and balsa for the kinds of shapes needed for a model like this. Example, wing ribs, I can trim a ply rib template accurately against a plotted print in no time, and keep working it till it's right up to the line all around. The first parts I made with it were 1/8" birch ply fuselage doublers with lightening holes and wing saddle cut outs. So long as you have the piece marked out to the shape you want this machine is just right for carefully working it to that mark. I got a great result with almost no experience on the machine. Same for the inside curves of the lightening holes, nice and easy. Recently I got a Stanley/Bailey block plane for $10 at a garage sale in superb condition, a genuine bargain. Even the sole and back of the blade had been carefully lapped. A great thing to have when you're working with ply at this scale, excellent for shaving the edges to exact size. I remember woodwork class at school and using a bench plane, and wishing teacher would let me use a block plane but his personal one was the only example there. This thing is still in the shops now for $160 so to get it in this condition for ten bucks is fantastic. It's late and I won't spend time adding photos but they're all in the Stik build log if you work your way through. I haven't even got the link handy so I'll edit that in later. Love to have your input on that build, cya there https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d#post42154279
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply