Sep 09, 2019, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
I started the wing yesterday, as I need to purchase some nyrod material before finishing the fuse.

Here's my question: Should I build in some washout on the wing? This is a pattern plane, and I want it to fly as such. I build in washout in almost all of my planes, not sure if I should on this build. what do you guys think?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 11:19 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Steve,

I would think it will be fine to build stock. When I built my New Era III a few years ago, I built stock and it flies nice.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Sep 09, 2019, 11:43 AM
A man with a plan
How do you fly your pattern planes? Do you do a fair amount of inverted flying?
Sep 09, 2019, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Denny. That's what I'm thinking as well.

Balsa- Not really then much inverted...
Sep 09, 2019, 01:01 PM
A man with a plan
I don't think washout would do any harm if you don't fly inverted much.
Sep 09, 2019, 04:15 PM
Pro Hoarder
It a big straight wing with lots of lift..You wont need washout
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 11, 2019, 03:10 PM
And You're Not
Yeah, I ran a piped 40 in this 20 sized plane, standard servos were all we had back then, so I'm sure it was a bit on the heavy side for this airframe. Built them both stock, never had any issues.
Sep 11, 2019, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Stock it is. Hereís some pics. Slow going because I cut out all ribs on my Dremel jig saw, than sand to shape on my Delta disc sander. Each rib is different size. But iím in no hurry
Sep 11, 2019, 07:23 PM
Looks good so far Steve.

It's always been my practice to build the first attempt at the model as designed. Later versions may incorporate changes as practice requires. There have only been a couple of cases where I've built the same plane twice and the changes were usually minimal.

The most dramatic I can think of was an RCM Trainer 60 where I added 1" to the fuel tank compartment and took out the dihedral. The resulting model flew well and I used it in club pattern contests.

Tom K
Sep 22, 2019, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Wing progress. After sheeting the top, I removed the tabs on the ribs to sheet the bottom with 1/16th sheeting. My first attempt warped the TE because I used 3 shims under TE spaced about 6 inches apart. So I tore off the TE sheeting and this time used a long piece of 1/2Ēbalsa the full length of wing. Much better.
Sep 29, 2019, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
Glueing the wing panels together. 1 1/4Ē each tip. Per plans. Sanding jig I made to get the angle correct
Sep 29, 2019, 01:34 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Nice progress.

Always interested to learn how different builders attack and solve building problems. Nice sanding tool....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Sep 29, 2019, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Dennis, it works, but I think it would work better if the sandpaper moved, not the wing. Will have to modify, make some sort of track for the sanding block to ride back and forth

Just got done gluing up the wing with 30min epoxy. Now to let it cure and watch the Bears
Sep 29, 2019, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
First mock ups are important
Oct 13, 2019, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Update..... got the wing joined and glassed. Added aileron torque rods and forgot about them when I added the wing bolt block in the fuse....itís been a awhile since I had a one servo wing. Will need to relieve

Quick Reply