Jun 22, 2019, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Who is Ted White??

I bought this Pitts S-2A from a guy which was built by Ted White from Texas. Apparently Mr White was involved in pattern in the 70's and is pretty well known. As I understand it he's quite a pilot and builder.

I'm just curious if any of you all are familiar with him?

Thanks!!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2019, 09:35 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by navav2002 View Post
I bought this Pitts S-2A from a guy which was built by Ted White from Texas. Apparently Mr White was involved in pattern in the 70's and is pretty well known. As I understand it he's quite a pilot and builder.

I'm just curious if any of you all are familiar with him?

Thanks!!
He designed a pattern plane called the El Gringo. The article appeared in RCM July 1970.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6009
Jun 22, 2019, 10:19 PM
I think Ted White was also the manufacturer of the Galaxy proportional radio back in the early 70’s
Jun 22, 2019, 10:27 PM
I lived in the DFW area between 1988-1998 and was a part of the local N.Dallas pattern crowd. I heard many stories about Ted White from the local TX pattern fliers, never met him. His most famous pattern design was the El Gringo, from the ‘70s. I know he and Dan Parson were an integral part of the 1/8th Scale Air Force . Ted was a very talented pattern and scale flier....Good for you and enjoy.
Last edited by bradl7112; Jun 22, 2019 at 10:34 PM.
Jun 22, 2019, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
Neat...Thank You guys!! That's the sort of insite I was hoping for. I believe I bought the plane from Don Parson's son.
Last edited by navav2002; Jun 22, 2019 at 11:02 PM.
Jun 22, 2019, 11:16 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Neat...Thank You guys!! That's the sort of insite I was hoping for. I believe I bought the plane from Don Parson's son.
Now that's history of RC modeling!!!
Jun 23, 2019, 07:18 AM
Nice pickup Chuck.
Jun 23, 2019, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Nice pickup Chuck.
Thanks Dave!!

This thing is definatly Old School for sure!! Yikes!!
Last edited by navav2002; Jun 23, 2019 at 08:22 AM.
Jun 23, 2019, 11:38 AM
Kraft servos?
Jun 23, 2019, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Kraft servos?
Kraft servos Dude!! How old is that?? The guy said it had AM radio gear in it too...

It has never been flown. It's an Andy Sheber Pitts S-2A with an 80" wingspan.. Built like a tank compared to today's planes...lol
Last edited by navav2002; Jun 25, 2019 at 10:38 AM.
Jun 23, 2019, 01:03 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Kraft servos Dude!! How old is that?? The guy said it had AM radio gear in it too...

It has never been flown. It's an Andy Sheber Pitts S-1A with an 80" wingspan.. Built like a tank compared to today's planes...lol
Those actually looked like they are the more modern Kraft servos. Probably made by the same factory in Asia that made the Futaba servos. The plastic cases looked very clean and crispy. The older Kraft servos such as the KPS 14 and 15 have more rounded corners and flexible nylon cases. The older servos also have square output shafts instead of spines.

The older method of building model airplanes are meant to last forever. Unlike the more recent designs that are meant to be disposable.

The ignition on the engine would have played havoc on the AM radio.
Jun 23, 2019, 05:47 PM
True on all counts
Jun 23, 2019, 06:47 PM
Ted White. Heck of a pilot and the first person I ever saw do a rolling circle. They have fascinated me ever since then. Ted White live in the Bedford Tx area and worked for EK radio as one of the designers/techs. My aunt worked at EK also. I have been to his house several times to get the receivers tuned up on my EK radios. He would tune them while you waited. Didn't charge much either. He was also a full scale pilot and friends with Gerald Martin who flew one of the Corsairs on the Ba Ba Black Sheep series. There was a picture of Ted and Gerald flying models together in one of the old RCM magazines I had back in the 1980s.

Teds garage was like most dedicated modelers of his caliber. It was packed floor to ceiling with planes he had built. I would walk around and look at them while he worked on my radio. I tried to find out if he was still around a while back but couldn't find anything on google. I hope is still alive and well. I have met a few of the old greats like Johnny Cashburn (bought all my early RC stuff from him) Chuck Cunningham and Randy Randolph. Every one was a class act to talk to. I would have loved to of met Ken Willard.
Jun 23, 2019, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Awesome!! Thank You!!
Jun 23, 2019, 07:11 PM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Just stumbled onto this on RC Hall of Fame site.

Quick Reply