Jun 28, 2019, 02:50 PM
It sure would have been nice if Horizon had worked on this to incorporate an ASX3 receiver and worked out the other rough edges, so it would be in line with the majority of their other older micros. It's really quite disappointing they just seemed to have picked something up and thrown it in the mix. I guess it's just another sign of Horizon being under new management, from the transition that happened awhile back. They need to get their rc enthusiast employees completely involved in their product development, like the original outfit, instead of just pushing stuff out the door to make a quick buck and then wondering why it doesn't sell.

Oh, well, enough for the soapbox. I sincerely hope folks enjoy the new Fokker, even if it means some work-arounds.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2019, 02:53 PM
-=BS=-
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Blaze,

It is definitely NOT Flyzone, but rather the nice Ares model ...

Gene K
Gene! How are you? Iíve been away too long.

I absolutely agree that itís a pretty model.

Havenít had the chance to bind and fly it. You are saying my FZ tactics module for the Spektrum Tx will not work on the Rx in this littlefokker?

Iíll defer to your experience and not even try it then. What a disappointment indeed.
And yes, lots of bruises in assembly/ shipping. Canít figure out why theyíd print/paint the striped top wing but make the camo areas a sticker. Thatís a head scratcher, but it made sense to somebody, somewhere. Probably save a few cents here or there.

Have you any inkling of how the Rx and motor are installed? Important to know before I start to carve foam away and make room for a ďnormalĒ lipo.
Iíll probably find out for myself all too soon.
My predicted crash/ damage sequence is as follows:
Loose tail skid
Break off LG
Break fuse at that weak spot.

But maybe not. :-)
Jun 28, 2019, 03:43 PM
Lifetime Member
Quote:
Blaze,

It is definitely NOT Flyzone, but rather the nice Ares model in a beautiful new scheme (I have both in front of me). Here's the Ares D.VII thread.

Unfortunately my Spektrum gear with Anylink will not work with the Hitec Red protocol (which I assume it is ... can't find any mention by HH), so have to consider replacing the receiver. Thereafter I'll have to reattach the loose wing struts, cover the hole in the wing where they attach, pop all the bubbles in the very nice wing lozenge ... and modify the landing gear to look more scale. All the same items as on my "other" Ares Fokker.

My hope is that HH will eventually reissue the Ares Pup and SPAD ... with Spektrum radio gear!!

Gene K

Whether or not it is compatible with the previous Flyzone models, it is indeed branded with the Flyzone name.
Jun 28, 2019, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar
If it breaks so easily in the box (or I imagine while being assembled) it wonít last long.
Mine has a crush/crinkle in the exact same spot that your fuselage has been cracked. I think the piece of foam that holds the center of the fuselage in the box was too tight. Wonder how many more will run into this?
Jun 28, 2019, 11:02 PM
Picked mine up from the LHS tonight, I agree with the above saying the center hold/support foam is way too tight on the fuse. I didn’t put it back in place for the ride home because of how tight it felt going back in place. Overall I’m impressed, good build, doesn’t feel as fragile as the 1st generation planes did and it also has the familiar tic of the horizon brushed gear boxes. Maybe the neighbors won’t think I’m flying a blender in the back yard!

As far as other transmitters go the brick inside is on the FHSS protocol (as it says on the transmitter) this will for sure rule out using any Tactic or Spektrum transmitters. But for $80 as a ready to fly package I can’t complain, I’m still happy there’s a 2nd generation UMX WW1 Biplane.
Jun 28, 2019, 11:03 PM
Double post. Thanks RCG servers!
Jun 29, 2019, 06:00 AM
Quote:
You are saying my FZ tactics module for the Spektrum Tx will not work on the Rx in this littlefokker?

I’ll defer to your experience and not even try it then.
Blaze,

Please do try it. I haven't flown Anylink in years, so may have done something wrong . I'll try again tomorrow.

UPDATE: Anylink2 works with my older FlyZone models, but NOT with the new "Flyzone" Fokker. Neither does the new "FlyZone" Fokker transmitter work with the old FlyZone models.

As concerns the brick: this shows the old Aires brick; and the attached is that old brick alongside the new Fokker and a Spektrum 6410 brick. I don't have a smaller Vapor or Mini Vapor brick on hand, but their specs are discussed here.

The new FZ brick looks exactly the same as the old Ares, and is placed vertically the same as the old Ares brick. Would be nice to know what the new protocol is in the FZ brick. The transmitter says FHSS (Futaba), but the different variations are too convoluted for me -- see this explanation.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jun 30, 2019 at 06:23 AM.
Jun 30, 2019, 05:18 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Darn, I wish this would link up to my DX8 gen2.
Jul 01, 2019, 11:12 AM
Michael S.
This Fokker and the nice little DC-3 / C-47 (now on sale for $79!) would be on my list for sure if it was Spektrum compatible.
Jul 01, 2019, 02:17 PM
-=BS=-
Here’s a little helmet cam video of the littlefuker’s (as I’ve taken to call it - because it fits) first flight for me.

A bit hairy on the takeoff and the first few passes despite perfectly still air. Not sure if it was me, the silly Tx or the plane being a tad tail heavy. Perhaps all of the above.
I tried to keep it close and slow. The last 30” of the video were about as calm as it got.

Got about a 9’ flight out of the battery with absolutely no LVC warning. It just stopped and fell out of the sky. The lipo took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to recharge on the Tx, so no second flight today.

All in all, for $80 it’s and OK little toy.
It’ll take some work to turn it into a fun little RC model.

Micro Fokker D7 first flight (1 min 19 sec)
Jul 01, 2019, 04:40 PM
Quote:
The last 30Ē of the video were about as calm as it got.
You got it tamed down nicely!

Gene K
Jul 01, 2019, 04:45 PM
-=BS=-
Quote:
You got it tamed down nicely!

Gene K
Wish I could have had a second flight right away.
More lipos I guess unless I can cram one of the regular ones in there.

Next flight was on the UMX PT17. What a difference! Why couldnít they have turned that into the Fokker instead?!
Jul 01, 2019, 09:09 PM
LOL, BlazingStar, your flight looks just like my maiden tonight...wild and unpredictable. I was not happy with my flight at all. My old Flyzone Fokker Dr.1 flies much nicer and smoother. I flew a couple of my other warbirds first...my UMX's: P-47, P-51 and F4F...as usual, they flew flawlessly. I wish I could say the same with this new D-VII. I had to bring mine down shortly after launch because it was just too uncontrollable - lots of crazy stalling like at the beginning of your video. I might add a tiny bit of weight to the nose.

The real crime of this new plane is thinking about how many folks are gonna buy it, thinking it's easy to fly because it's RTF. The RTF Tx actually makes it difficult to fly. No way to adjust the rates. It just boggles my mind why HH didn't put their own Rx in this thing. They could have sold it with the RTF Tx and given us the option of binding it to our own Tx. It's been a long time since I flew with an RTF Tx and this plane just reminded me why I hated flying them. Ugh! Would love to rip the guts out of this thing and replace it with a Spektrum Rx.
Jul 02, 2019, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstanleyfl
... would be on my list for sure if it was Spektrum compatible.
I think Aires, Flyzone, Rage, and now HH/Flyzone all would have greatly benefited by not using cheap toy transmitters with non-Spektrum protocol. Some nice little models produced by that group, but let down by the poor radio gear.
Name: deadhorsebeat_4.gif
Views: 14
Size: 22.3 KB
Description:

Gene K
Jul 02, 2019, 10:28 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Amen to that speedy01. I still have 210 model memories in my DX8-g2. I sure don't need a stack of those $2 transmitters like in the old days when each transmitter was only good for one airplane. That is the dark ages HH. I have two Rage models and seldom fly them because those transmitters are so poorly made. They make even a good pilot look bad. Why fly that crap when I have a beautiful state of the art transmitter bound to my 40 some odd other models. These folks need to wake up. After 54 years of RC flying I aint willing to go backwards. TS

Quick Reply