Jun 26, 2019, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr11803
No reviews be darned, just ordered one through the LHS. It's about time a new 1s UMX was released!
Ha! Yes. It's getting my attention probably because it's the pretty new girl at the dance. And, sadly, the only one.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2019, 11:31 AM
Parkstormer!
Mineís supposed to arrive today, and the forecast is for lights winds this evening. . .
Jun 26, 2019, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee
Mineís supposed to arrive today, and the forecast is for lights winds this evening. . .
Looking forward to a report, even if it's just first impressions.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:11 AM
Parkstormer!
Mine arrived yesterday, and I was able to get two flights in (I've ordered additional batteries, but they won't get here until tomorrow). My first impressions are that the quality of the construction and finish are a good bit better than the old FlyZone Albatros/Dr-I/SE-5a. The fuselage looks pretty wide and I think the panel lines would make swapping out for an E-Flite brick fairly straightforward in the sense of being natural places to cut, and so I expect many of them will end up with E-Flite electronics. The gearbox seems quieter than on the older FlyZone planes too, though. The pilot's well-painted and the lozenge camo looks great, as does the rest of the scheme. I had the Ares D-VII and found it and its electronics to be pretty fragile, but I didn't find the FlyZone plane to be that way. The FlyZone's not just a rebranded Ares, I don't think.

Mine needed a few clicks of down and left trim, but nothing major. It seemed a hair "twitchy" at first, but I adjusted quickly and had it cruising smoothly. It cruises well at just over half throttle, and has plenty of power for loops. Stall-turns look good. On each flight I got in about 8 minutes of mixed-throttle flying before LVC. It doesn't give you much warning when you're about to hit LVC and the glide slope's pretty steep once the motor cuts, so I'd suggest maybe checking your watch or using a timer and landing at 6-7 minutes. In fairness, though, I was flying while a neighbor was using a table saw, so I may also been having trouble hearing the LVC coming. The streamers add a nice touch. There's not enough room for 1S 150h batts, at least not without carving foam.

Overall I think it's clearly a keeper, especially at the price. I'd definitely buy it again, and I fully expect to fly it until it's worn out.
Jun 27, 2019, 08:16 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the great review and I am glad to hear that the quality has improved. Does the motor have a brass or plastic pinion gear? I guess I will need to carve out some foam as I will be using my 6 GNB 250mah single cell batteries with the better PH2 connector. They have been sitting unused for a long time as I sold off all my 1 cell aircraft.
Jun 27, 2019, 09:01 AM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
Thanks for the great review and I am glad to hear that the quality has improved. Does the motor have a brass or plastic pinion gear? I guess I will need to carve out some foam as I will be using my 6 GNB 250mah single cell batteries with the better PH2 connector. They have been sitting unused for a long time as I sold off all my 1 cell aircraft.
I'm not sure, regarding the motor--it's pretty well covered. I'll see if I can find out when I get home tonight.
Jun 27, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the very nice report, GL! I'm glad to hear it seems better than some of us feared and you got in a good flight. I'm along the lines of JohnM, that I'd want to try flying it with some Hyp G5 240mAh's, eventually, realising some foam would have to go.

It's good to know it sounds as if one could enjoy it for awhile in stock form, though, before doing some work to install a Spektrum brick and maybe a new motor and gearbox.

Name: FLZU1000_a18.jpeg
Views: 51
Size: 77.3 KB
Description:
Last edited by DaveG; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:53 AM.
Jun 27, 2019, 11:07 AM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
Thanks for the very nice report, GL! I'm glad to hear it seems better than some of us feared and you got in a good flight. I'm along the lines of JohnM, that I'd want to try flying it with some Hyp G5 240mAh's, eventually, realising some foam would have to go.

It's good to know it sounds as if one could enjoy it for awhile in stock form, though, before doing some work to install a Spektrum brick and maybe a new motor and gearbox.

Attachment 12242021
I'm glad the report helped--I've certainly learned to check RCG before buying a plane that's been out, so it's good to try to return the favor. Currently my plan's to fly this one stock until something fails, then look at doing an "upgrade" along with the repair. I do think those of you interested in doing mods first will find it a nice canvass.
Jun 27, 2019, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee
I'm glad the report helped--I've certainly learned to check RCG before buying a plane that's been out, so it's good to try to return the favor. Currently my plan's to fly this one stock until something fails, then look at doing an "upgrade" along with the repair. I do think those of you interested in doing mods first will find it a nice canvass.
Completely agree. Thanks again for all the info and enjoy the new Fokker!
Jun 27, 2019, 02:13 PM
Mine arrived today.
Haven't flown it yet though. Definitely appears nicer constructed than the older Flyzone WWI UM's. It's packaged in a nice HH box as well. It is still a tiny fragile piece though, but I'm not worried, as I got very good at flying my older Flyzone UM Fokker Dr.1 with the RTF Tx. My top wing looks a bit warped, but my 88 Dad swears it looks fine...we'll see on the first flight. The battery is soooooooo tiny, LOL. Amazing it can last enough time to enjoy the flight. Paint job and scale detail is way nicer than the older Flyzone WWI UM's as well. If you don't fly it, it would make a nice model to hang from your ceiling. And yes, the motor sounds alot nicer than the older Flyzone's as well, which sounded like cheap windup toys, LOL. I'm looking forward to flying it, but I'm gonna wait for a nice calm evening. I'll film it and post when I do.
Jun 27, 2019, 03:04 PM
-=BS=-

Yay! And yikes!

Just picked up the new Fokker D7 and first reaction was WOW! Gorgeous and well packed.

Then I took it out and the initial euphoria turned to a long string of obscenities. Same old FZ crap quality. Wheel being off and LG strut having unglued was no big deal, but a broken fuselage? Right at the wing root? Nope. No good.

The good:
Beautiful little plane.
Nice lozenge camo print
Nice pilot bust figure
Nice dummy motor
Nicely painted prop

The bad:
Magnetically attached lipo barely fits as it is a ruins the looks as it sticks out in the front. And itís almost square, meaning that my current supply of 70mAH lipos will be an even worse fit.

If it breaks so easily in the box (or I imagine while being assembled) it wonít last long.
Very fragile. Thereís almost no rigidity to the wings. Feels almost like itís going to flap its way around :-)

Iíll get it replaced and see how it does flying.
Jun 27, 2019, 03:29 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar
Just picked up the new Fokker D7 and first reaction was WOW! Gorgeous and well packed.

Then I took it out and the initial euphoria turned to a long string of obscenities. Same old FZ crap quality. Wheel being off and LG strut having unglued was no big deal, but a broken fuselage? Right at the wing root? Nope. No good.

The good:
Beautiful little plane.
Nice lozenge camo print
Nice pilot bust figure
Nice dummy motor
Nicely painted prop

The bad:
Magnetically attached lipo barely fits as it is a ruins the looks as it sticks out in the front. And itís almost square, meaning that my current supply of 70mAH lipos will be an even worse fit.

If it breaks so easily in the box (or I imagine while being assembled) it wonít last long.
Very fragile. Thereís almost no rigidity to the wings. Feels almost like itís going to flap its way around :-)

Iíll get it replaced and see how it does flying.
Sorry about your experienceóitís the luck of the draw sometimes with regard to QC. I recently got the E-Flite Extra BNF, only to find that it was missing the carbon tube for the main wings. I got no answer from Customer Service on 3 tries and finally ordered a tube from the old FMS Extra when I realized it would fit. I love the plane now, but my experience wasnít what it should have been. I hope your replacement D-VII flies as well as mine.
Jun 27, 2019, 05:47 PM
-=BS=-
My replacement Fokker.

You can see in the picture, although not broken, the little fokkerís fuslage is creased in the same spot as where the first one was broken.

Also, note the protruding 1s lipo when in place under the nose. How do you say YUCK in German?

Lastly, note the size difference between the stock 80mAH lipo and the more usual 80mAH batteries we all have plenty of! How do you say shameless profiteering in German?
Jun 28, 2019, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar
Same old FZ crap quality. .
Blaze,

It is definitely NOT Flyzone, but rather the nice Ares model in a beautiful new scheme (I have both in front of me). Here's the Ares D.VII thread.

Unfortunately my Spektrum gear with Anylink will not work with the Hitec Red protocol (which I assume it is ... can't find any mention by HH), so have to consider replacing the receiver. Thereafter I'll have to reattach the loose wing struts, cover the hole in the wing where they attach, pop all the bubbles in the very nice wing lozenge ... and modify the landing gear to look more scale. All the same items as on my "other" Ares Fokker.

My hope is that HH will eventually reissue the Ares Pup and SPAD ... with Spektrum radio gear!!

Gene K
Jun 28, 2019, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
... I am disappointed that it is not Spektrum compatible.
Yes, huge fail. HH gives no clue as to what protocol is used in this new Fokker ... other than to state "FHSS" on the transmitter face. I could not get a bind using Anylink 2 with my Spektrum transmitter. I'll try the original Anylink, but anticipate the same failure to bind.

Further, I also tried to pair/bind to the old Ares toy transmitter, and it would not, so this version of the D.VII uses a protocol different than Ares did. Therefore ... the protocol appears NOT to be Spektrum DSMX/DM2, Tactic SLT, or Hitec Red. Hopefully some experts will chime in.

This venture is a real shame since HH had great opportunity to make a lot of folks happy (as well a filling their coffers)!

Gene K

Quick Reply