Jun 21, 2019, 11:15 PM
JohnVHRC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

H-King 94.5" Navy Cub!

Ive had the smaller electric version, now they came out with the bigger gas / ep version! 2400mm (94.5") Navy Cub!

On mine, I put a 20cc RCGF gas motor, factory muffler, all HK servos, extensions, the fancy electronic failsafe switches and LIFE batteries. The build was pretty easy, had no surprises, and all up RTF it weighs for me 14lbs 12oz on my scale with a little fuel in the gas tank (forgot to weigh it before flying).

Flying, flies light, big wing, light weight, plenty of power! Loops, rolls, stall turns, all with ease.. Touch and goes, tight patterns, no problem. Video coming very soon! Got 3 flights on it tonight, maiden included, very happy with it. The RCGF20 started easily, ran great (still a little rich, it has zero time on it!), and sips fuel! With a 6-7min flight, it still has almost 3/4 of a tank of gas left. What a great combo! Flying with Spektrum DSM2 12x guidance.

Pics and videos to follow asap!

Link to the cub on HK: https://tinyurl.com/y2rlsuuf
Link to the RCGF20cc Gas engine: https://tinyurl.com/y4ok5de9

Latest blog entry: VQ A-24 Banshee Maiden Flight!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2019, 01:12 AM
JohnVHRC
Thread OP
H-King 94.5" Navy Piper Cub 2400mm from HobbyKing MAIDEN FLIGHT! (4 min 20 sec)
Jun 22, 2019, 03:35 AM
I review RC Products
What a fun plane!
Jun 23, 2019, 07:06 AM
What is not to like about that? Nada
Jun 23, 2019, 11:58 PM
JohnVHRC
Thread OP
H-King 94.5" Navy Piper Cub 2400mm from HobbyKing SECOND FLIGHT! (4 min 27 sec)
Jun 24, 2019, 10:24 AM
Another good video of seemingly a great flying plane.

I asked above, what is not to like about it and while watching the second video, realized I did have a small issue... the sound... and that is an individual thing rather than any serious criticism.

The two stroke sound has nothing to do with the flight envelope that looks extremely good, but it affects the Cub experience for some pilots, and does to some measure for me.

A story to illustrate.

Before retiring several years ago, several planes were bought and laid in before the era of fixed income. One of them was a CMP 91" Cub, which set on the shelf for years, mostly because I'd withdrawn from adding any new glow powered planes to my fleet and just couldn't put a two stroke gas engine in the Cub.

Also on the shelf, was a Saito 1.25a taken out of service because of the withdrawal from glow. It eventually occurred that if the Saito could be converted to gas, the Cub could get the four stroke sound wanted and the result is perhaps the favorite plane in my fleet.

The story explains my bias... we have them... but they should have no affect on how others make their fun.... enjoy your Navy Cub... it is beautiful and flies great.
Jun 24, 2019, 10:31 AM
JohnVHRC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
Another good video of seemingly a great flying plane.

I asked above, what is not to like about it and while watching the second video, realized I did have a small issue... the sound... and that is an individual thing rather than any serious criticism.

The two stroke sound has nothing to do with the flight envelope that looks extremely good, but it affects the Cub experience for some pilots, and does to some measure for me.

A story to illustrate.

Before retiring several years ago, several planes were bought and laid in before the era of fixed income. One of them was a CMP 91" Cub, which set on the shelf for years, mostly because I'd withdrawn from adding any new glow powered planes to my fleet and just couldn't put a two stroke gas engine in the Cub.

Also on the shelf, was a Saito 1.25a taken out of service because of the withdrawal from glow. It eventually occurred that if the Saito could be converted to gas, the Cub could get the four stroke sound wanted and the result is perhaps the favorite plane in my fleet.

The story explains my bias... we have them... but they should have no affect on how others make their fun.... enjoy your Navy Cub... it is beautiful and flies great.
Hard to quiet the little gas motors, and I agree with you, but otherwise its fun and Im happy with everything.
Jun 24, 2019, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH
Hard to quiet the little gas motors, and I agree with you, but otherwise its fun and Im happy with everything.
It is easy to see why you are happy... it looks to be great fun... my comments about the sound are purely personal. I just finished and have been flying a 28% Fly Baby and used a 2 stroke weed conversion in it because I had the engine, it fit well withing the cowl, and I didn't have a four stroke that would provide a sound I would have preferred.
Jun 25, 2019, 03:53 PM
JohnVHRC
Thread OP
H-King 94.5" Navy Piper Cub 2400mm from HobbyKing THIRD FLIGHT! (6 min 32 sec)
Jun 25, 2019, 09:06 PM
I review RC Products
This screencap it the best! lol
Jun 26, 2019, 06:23 AM
Same Day Delivery
Looks like HK has a real winner here!

John, are you trimmed on the elevator flat, or carrying a little bit of up elevator to fly level?
Also, are the dummy engine cylinders included with the ARF?
Jun 26, 2019, 10:21 AM
JohnVHRC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
Looks like HK has a real winner here!

John, are you trimmed on the elevator flat, or carrying a little bit of up elevator to fly level?
Also, are the dummy engine cylinders included with the ARF?
I need a few clicks of UP and a few of aileron, little rudder.

Yes the dummy engine is included. I only have half of it on right now, It does come with both sides.
Jun 26, 2019, 03:35 PM
Same Day Delivery
If you shift the c/g a little aft, so level flight requires no up trim, shell float better on landing, just a suggestion of course, I like a plane that can float a few inches off the ground before touchdown. Lateral balance to eliminat aileron trim will also aid the effect. Have Fun.......Mike
Jun 26, 2019, 03:47 PM
JohnVHRC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
If you shift the c/g a little aft, so level flight requires no up trim, shell float better on landing, just a suggestion of course, I like a plane that can float a few inches off the ground before touchdown. Lateral balance to eliminat aileron trim will also aid the effect. Have Fun.......Mike
If you watch my maiden, I really hold it off for a 3 point. I prefer wheel landings, I preferred them in the full scale cub too. Sometimes lateral balance will eliminate some trim, but not always, there are alot of other factors that contribute to aileron trim. I have not tried to lateral balance, and probably wont, it flies great with a couple clicks of aileron trim.
Jun 26, 2019, 03:59 PM
A by product of a Clark Y foil is that once it stalls, the stall is pretty hard, which kinda makes wheel landings the better choice and a thing of grace with a gentle kiss of the ground with the tail still flying (a hallmark of Cubs n cousins).

Three point landings are best left to airfoils with stalls that are more manageable.

Quick Reply