Jun 25, 2019, 03:27 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I didn't really want to go off on this sort of thing because I don't let it bother me any more. The last time someone gave me any grief does make an interesting story though.

It was the rat. Yeah, I'de known him for about 40 years and he was always a rat. He loved to stir up trouble behind the scenes, snipping at people behind their backs while smiling in their face. The guy is just a rat, and that's what a rat always does. He will go to the club officers complaining about how you are too dangerous and should be thrown out, then the next time he sees you he will smile and call you "bud."

I had not been out in the morning for a few years, and as I was putting the plane together a lot of people dropped by to say hello. The rat, though, snuck up behind me and just stood there, moving back and forth occasionally to make sure I could see him out of the corner of my eye. This, I suppose was his way of intimidating me or unsettling me. I tried to ignore it, but I think he was also checking out my butt, and I wasn't too keen on that.

Finally I had enough and spun around to find his face about six inches away from mine. I screamed at the top of my lungs "Awwwwwwhhhhhhhhhh!," and the rat scurried off, in front of everyone, leaving a trail of fluid behind him. Of course, this frightened everyone else too, which I excused as "Hey, he was so close it scared me."

But, rats never learn because this was the second time he had trouble with, uhhhhhh, controlling himself.
Our little parochial clubs up here in Northern Ma and Southern Nh are pretty cool with this. The only problem we have is occasional abutters to the field warning us about not flying over their buildings and note - none of the perps are 3D flyers - it is always the elders whose eye sight is going. But we are nice to them cuz guess what, you meet the same people on the way up as you do on your way down.

No passing cars ever stop to see circle flying, but they do when you are doing high energy XA or low slow 3D.

"Live Free or Die"
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2019, 04:22 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
"Live Free or Die"
I like this guy!
Jun 28, 2019, 01:05 AM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Hi guys.

Did I hear that someone was giving someone else guff for flying 3d?
Jun 29, 2019, 05:43 PM
no guff for flying 3d at the club i go to..... until you crash and then you get pelters.
Jul 01, 2019, 09:45 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
I tend to fly fewer flights than most because I wait for everyone else to finish so I can have the sky to myself.
In 2 hours at the field, I might have 3 or 4 flights total.
Jul 01, 2019, 10:27 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
I tend to fly fewer flights than most because I wait for everyone else to finish so I can have the sky to myself.
Alot of people get bent out of shape if you are flying aggressively while they are trying to fly themselves. I fly low and tight, but I wouldn't want to be out there with me either. I fly in the afternoons specifically because there's few people there and we have the luxury of taking turns.

I'm continually mystified that even this isn't enough for some people. I think part of this is some idiots are simply jealous (over a hobby no less) because they can't do it themselves, and those are the nastiest ones to deal with. Some people also don't understand 3D or hate to accept something out of their view of what the universe is supposed to be like.

Essentially, these are morons.

The most telling part of the "not understanding" mentality is when the safety officer in one club used to tell everyone it's "dangerous high speed 3D," which as you know is kind of absurd. This was the guy running things when Jim and Tom were getting such a bad and drove them off. This sort of drives home the point that people put into authority should really know what the hell they are talking about.

Still, I think this is more of a people thing than a flying thing. It's really about adults, for whatever reason, being little children who can't get along with their playmates.
Jul 01, 2019, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
In 2 hours at the field, I might have 3 or 4 flights total.
I find 3 or 4 flights is all I can handle in a session. I am mentally beat after that, and don't feel I'm progressing much after that.

I've also found that when I do get my foot in the door, so to say, that most of the guys I fly with are happy to be watching. I change up what I am doing frequently and avoid practicing hovers endlessly. Hover practice is incredibly boring to watch for more than just a few seconds....
Jul 01, 2019, 08:45 PM
i can see both points of view,
a lot of people who jump into 3d genuinely can't fly that well, and mostly just hot dog around being a nuisance, I've had 2 mid airs with so called "3D" pilots, but I remember being gob smacked in the 90s by a guy named Tony Driver, the guy flew 3D and F3A, and was a dead set gun, i remember being about 8-10yrs old when i first saw him fly, my mind was blown.

however, if you are respectful of others models, air time and you are skilled, you'll be embraced, every club is the same, they get sick of morons coming in pretending to be 3D pilots, who then cause accidents and show disregard for others, its very very common, even in aus.
I've literally had to scream out landing on final half a dozen times because someone wouldn't stop hovering in the middle of the field (10' off the ground), he then had a go at me for touching down underneath him, and, it ended up getting physical (the guy was a doosh and banned from the club in the end). at our clubs, a model landing = clear the feild, (it's written into our club rules.)

so long as you're respectful on things like this, people will have no issue. especially if you are a serious 3D pilot, they'll most likely ask you for know how.

Pattern flying will make your 3D far better as far as accuracy and control goes, a well skilled f3a pilot who also flies 3D is near on unbeatable, you can see it straight away in their lines etc

my old boy flies F3A internationally and is always banging on about me flying 3D, i see his point, but i now find F3A mostly boring to fly, but the skill level i cannot knock, i know if i go fly F3A for a weekend, my skills instantly improve for 3D. and if he gets on the sticks and flies 3D, he makes me look like i should be in the special olympics, then he smirks and says "see, thats F3A skill mate ". can't argue with him either hahaha

work around people and you'll get respect, you have to remember, some people have had some serious money binned (I'm one of them) over people being being irresponsible with 3D models, so they've got a gripe over it.

best way I've found to deal with it, i let myself fly proper 3D flights once or twice an hour, or work my way into flight rotation, once people know who you are and what you do, they're usually pretty friendly.
Jul 02, 2019, 02:46 AM
Hey Guys,

I have been watching this discussion with great interest. Let me throw in my 2 cents worth.

In my club just north of Newcastle in NSW, the Rebel Flying Club in the main when I am doing my thing with my 60" MXS they are usual pretty cool with it. Albeit I'm sensible and I'm always making sure I'm keeping my wits about me. If truth be told I get more grief that I'm an all electric guy albeit it is good natured ribbing that I return in kind.

In Australia we are in a funny position in that with the hammer coming down with the new CASA regs you really do need to have MAAA membership. In my case I do 30% of my flying at the field and 70% at deserted fields. When you are on your own you can really push it and I must admit one of my favourite thing is when I'm at the field by myself. It's not that I don't enjoy the comradery. Quite to the contrary I enjoy it albeit when there are others around I'm terrified of a mid air.

That being said you get some of the old and stuffy types who look at 3D as an abomination. We once had a guy flying a chopper doing nice and graceful past and I very much enjoyed watching him. Then I heard someone in the background saying, this is better then this 3D nonsense. Inwardly I shook my head because I have enormous respect for our Heli 3D brothers and sisters, particularly the good ones.

I reckon the best bit of advice I can offer is something my Dad once said to me. He once said to me you know what I'm going to go over there and have a good time. If you want you can come and join me if not I'm going to enjoy myself anyway.

My two cents worth.

Danny
Jul 04, 2019, 09:50 AM
I always fly by myself at one of the local soccer complexes when they are unoccupied. I prefer to be by myself and just enjoy the me time. I've never been much of a joiner, don't need the drama. Occasionally someone else shows up or someone walking their dog will visit with me which is fine, or sometimes a cop or any person will stop and watch, so I put on a little show for them. I even had a couple young guys offer me a couple dollars for the show, got a good laugh out of that one.
Jul 04, 2019, 10:22 AM
My club is quite small and we usually take turns. If I'm flying 3D front and center and someone else starts their engine or gets in position to fly, I always yield the runway and fly smoothly up high. We've never had an issue. Having said that, once I was flying at another area club and a guy was flying a glider on the south end. I flew off the north end of the runway and kept it close in, never getting within a football field of the guy. Even so, during a later flight I overheard this guy telling his buddies no matter what he did, he couldn't stay out of my way. I landed and went over and explained respectfully in front of his friends how I was purposely staying completely on the opposite end of the field to be sure he was not bothered. He apologized and we've been great friends ever since. He even jokes with me about it. Good guy, he was just subscribing to that negative mind set that for some is all too easy to adopt.
Last edited by DJH.; Jul 05, 2019 at 08:24 AM.
Jul 05, 2019, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man
That being said you get some of the old and stuffy types who look at 3D as an abomination.
"real planes dont fly like that" , thats the attitude of a few. Luckily its only a few .
Some spend there whole RC life flying scale, just flying in a circle . One club flyer now in his 60's hasnt even flown a RC plane with ailerons , despite decades in the hobby
Jul 05, 2019, 06:57 AM
I've heard the same thing many times. I tell them the real planes are at the airport. We push our limits and learn all the time. I'm 66 and I still push myself to learn and improve. Happy landings.
Jul 07, 2019, 06:00 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
"real planes dont fly like that"
"Have you heard of a man named Skip Stewart" would be what I would say.
Jul 07, 2019, 06:06 PM
San Antonio TX.
Yes real planes do fly like that!

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...lane%20Airshow

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Jul 07, 2019 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply