Jun 21, 2019, 10:22 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

sources for 5mm unpapered foam?

I HOPE this is just a seasonal thing. It's bad enough that we can't get sheet Depron any longer but now I can't find reasonably priced unpapered 5mm foam (EPP, EPO, or even EPS) anywhere. Sure, I can get 3mm and 10mm from HobbyKing but I need 5mm and without the paper. HK did carry it but now lists it as "discontinued". Most other sources don't have any and the few that do are charging ridiculously high shipping rates or, like the Chinese sources, have huge minimum order sizes. Any suggestions (besides buying FT and peeling off the paper!)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2019, 11:39 AM
Retired CAD guy
Ummm ... MFP is under 6mm by a smidge.
Nice resilient formula and sandable.

http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

Sadly the FOAMY experience is slowing down of late.

Guys must be going to ARF's, Drones, UAV/FPV
or just got LOST somewhere in the steep 3DPrinting learning curve.
Jun 21, 2019, 12:40 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Alas we now seem to be “obsolete" … no longer is Skill ( or building) needed to fly RC … I personally am overwhelmed by the new tech , and now feel somewhat ancient and therefore pretty useless ( see: Old Timers )
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 21, 2019, 12:42 PM
flyin' fool
Righ that! Here's a few shots from a few weeks ago.

Those small three extreme flying flat foamies in the foreground are mine, the only scratch built birds there.

The others are all big buck barfs, some in the 600 dollar range that fly around in circuits and then land. Boooooring!!!
Jun 21, 2019, 12:48 PM
flyin' fool
Build a hot wire slicer for a few bucks and ……………………. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1286
Jun 21, 2019, 12:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
I haven't done it myself , but you can get different types of foam at Home Depot or Lowes ..... and then slice sheets any thickness you want with a simple home made hot wire cutter .
Jun 21, 2019, 03:13 PM
Rough Landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I haven't done it myself , but you can get different types of foam at Home Depot or Lowes ..... and then slice sheets any thickness you want with a simple home made hot wire cutter .
That is the direction I am headed...
Jun 21, 2019, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Alas we now seem to be “obsolete" … no longer is Skill ( or building) needed to fly RC … I personally am overwhelmed by the new tech , and now feel somewhat ancient and therefore pretty useless ( see: Old Timers )
kinda right there with you on the Old Timers part. I began flying RC glow in the 1980s. Set it aside in the mid 90's because kids are expensive. Now that my son has finally graduated college I have hobby money again. The bewildering array of features on computer radios and 10,000,000,000,000 electric motor combinations is a bit overwhelming. On the one hand, I can now use ONE radio for all planes instead of one radio PER plane so that saves money. On the other hand, the hobby was much simpler when you had five basic size classes for RC- based upon the engine selected: .25, .40, .60, "small" giant scale (with multi-cylinder glow engines), and "big" giant scale (with leaf blower engines). I kind of understand the electric motor numbering scheme but definitely don't understand how that applies to selecting one for a particular project...

What I also don't understand is how so many LHS are complaining that the hobby is changing but then refusing to change along with it and instead go out of business. Yeah, I know a lot of the stuff we foam builders buy is pretty low-margin stuff and some guys are going to buy online if it's a nickel cheaper, but I would buy more from my LHS if he would stock the stuff I buy. I definitely support my LHS when he has the things I'm looking for but that is a lot less often then it used to be back in the day.
Jun 21, 2019, 04:13 PM
Way to represent Frank!
What is that nice looking high wing airplane with the blue and red trim? (post #4)
Looks to be quite acrobatic.
Brad
Jun 21, 2019, 04:49 PM
Disregard Frank. Just found the answer to my question. It's the Trottel by Thomas B.
I built a beta of his Honk design, and love it!
Jun 21, 2019, 05:01 PM
flyin' fool
Between the Shrimp, Trottel and Crack Wing it's hard for me to find anything better and more suited to the way I fly.

Over the many decades I've flown everything in all sizes and power modes. I think I found my joy and most fun with the small simple stuff.

A FB and I were out on Monday in big wind taking turns seeing who could pull off the most extreme crazy stunts. Must get video. Maybe tomorrow.
Jun 21, 2019, 05:14 PM
flyin' fool
kdc914:

I was easy back in the beginning with brushed motors. When brushless came along they were labeled according to the stator size, number of winds and maximum amps draw. Today the outside physical dimensions mean nothing and often the performance figures are exaggerated.

Brushless motors are akin to diesels and compression settings. You can turn a small or larger prop, and everything in between, with the right voltage to keep the maximum amps inline.

Watt meter mandatory for electron power, just like a tach is for IC power.
Last edited by goldguy; Jun 21, 2019 at 05:41 PM.
Jun 21, 2019, 06:15 PM
For the umpteenth time: Find a 'local' maker of Food trays etc They use depron like foam by the truckload.
Various thicknesses from 8? mm to 2 mm.
Does come in 4' diameter rolls (several hundred foot lengths) though so there is 'some' curvature inherent. . Deal with it?
Tricky bit though is to talk them into selling ..You.. some.
Jun 21, 2019, 06:34 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
For the umpteenth time
I was umpteenth years old once .....
Jun 21, 2019, 08:57 PM
Retired CAD guy
Bare, THAT was my problem.

They are just down the road from me ( ok about an hr away )
in the same state, BUT ...

They would not sell me anything at all.
Not even scraps or 2nds.

I used to have a source in or around Chicago but I can't find them anymore.

How did you discover your source ?
Although CA is not going to be a good source for me :>{

Quick Reply