Jun 21, 2019, 02:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Peter Goldsmith Trimming

I have been trying to get my model (Wind S) to "straighten up and fly right" and have been using Peter Goldsmith's Trimming Procedure.
However, I am at a loss to understand in the section titled Aileron Differential what is meant by the terms "walking to the right" and "walking to the left". What are the symptoms or characteristics I should be observing which are described as "walking" either to the right or left?
Cheers Peter
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2019, 10:40 AM
as the airplane flies directly away from at about a 45 degree angle the application of only aileron should produce an axial roll with no change in heading. If there is a change in heading it is caused by the down aileron acting as a brake and inducing yaw. the direction of the yaw is what Peter is referring to. So..for example with the application of full right the plane yaws to the left, you would reduce the throw on the left aileron. Gliders are a bit different, but it differential is still used to negate the braking effect of the down aileron. Not sure if you know that Peter is also from Australia. Hope this helps....
Jun 21, 2019, 11:49 AM
+1, KoppterX is exactly right. Reduce the throw of the down aileron.
What size WindS are you flying? I have a MythoS 125 that started me back into RC last year that I absolutely love! I would be very surprised if it took more than 1-2% to straighten it out. There is also Bryan Hebert's "Triangulation Trimming Guide", although it is developed for planes with adjustable incidence (at least somewhere), there is a lot of good information in the maneuvers and what causes the condition you may be experiencing. When I began trimming the Galactkia, I believe it took nearly 50 flights to get through the guide. The result is a plane that flies with no mixes.
And as a last note, and not to be a nag, check all of the throws, both directions. If you have the equipment, set to within a 1/10 of a degree. Up and down, and to each other, left aileron to right aileron, left elevator to right elevator. Then write all of this down! Now you have a starting point. Do this before you fly. When you begin the trimming process, determine the CG first! If you make a change in prop, start over. The manual location is a suggestion. It will take time, but the end result will be worth it. You will find that the CG makes a HUGE difference on how an F3A plane flies. I run my CG back to the point that with the Galactkia, I have to use virtually no input for inverted. When I first started flying around the IMAC guys, they were shocked at how little movement there was in the control surfaces. They all run big 30-40 degree deflections and all of mine are single digit! I let a couple guys fly it, THEN, they were shocked!!
Didn't mean to hijack your thread! The WindS is a great airframe, and will serve you well!
Jun 24, 2019, 06:42 AM
Thread OP

Thank you

Thank you KoppterX and Mooney for your valued comments. The Wind S is the version that flies with a Hacker 50 (the larger one?).
I used to fly novice pattern years ago but was distracted into going SAMs flying. Saw this model hanging for sale in the hobby store last year and was amazed by its graceful lines. Bought it (second hand) just to fly it around as a sports model but it wasn't flying right. CoG was about right but it kept screwing out of loops. Thought it was me giving it rudder when using elevator (mode 1) but it turns out the starboard wing needed 20 gm of weight added. That improved the loops but ran out of time last Sunday to do much more. My question was prompted by reading through Peter's trimming guide and not understanding the walking bit. You've cleared that up thank you.
I did know that Peter was (is?) an Australian. Met him years ago somewhere in New South Wales at a competition. The guy had it all - beautiful models, incredible flying skills and the most gorgeous wife. So we lost him to the USA.
Anyway, I will keep persevering with the Wind S. It can fly ten times better then I will ever be able to. Cheers Peter
Jun 24, 2019, 10:37 PM
There are a number of threads on the WindS 50e. You will find that that is a really fine airframe. Sebart makes super kits and I haven't run across anyone who had to do anything other than set control throws.
And they make the "Boss" look real professional pushing it through the pits!

Quick Reply