Jun 20, 2019, 07:37 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Thread OP
Question

Small Z-Bends Needed

I have a pair of standard size Z - Bend pliers for the normal plastic\resin control horns but need smaller Sized Z's for a park type flier with thin ply control horns. What'st the best way to do this?

I've got needle nose type pliers the nose on those is to thick.
I have hemostats that while thinner in the nose aren't strong enough to hold during the bend.
I tried putting them in the vise but things get cumbersome real fast.

There must be a way to do this out there or I may just resort to these, but I dont know the diameter of the wire in the kit. I may just order a pack of each .32, .47, .62
http://www.dubro.com/collections/con...z-link-for-062

Thanks
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2019, 07:49 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
E/Z links are great for control horns , E/Z connectors are great for servo arms .
https://www.dubro.com/collections/co...-e-z-connector
Dubro has larger sizes .
Jun 20, 2019, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
ok... so I'll go with what I thought...
Anything i need to do to keep that pressured fit screw from coming loose against the pushrod on the EZ Connector
Jun 20, 2019, 08:15 PM
Build, crash...repeat
The EZ links work great for thin wire pushrods. The EZ Connectors don’t come loose but if you’re worried I guess you can use a little threadlocker.
Jun 20, 2019, 08:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin
ok... so I'll go with what I thought...
Anything i need to do to keep that pressured fit screw from coming loose against the pushrod on the EZ Connector
You can use some thread lock on the screw on top if you want . The nylon snap washer or metal push-on washer on the bottom stays on well ..... in normal use : there's really no force that will pull them off .
Jun 20, 2019, 10:39 PM
treefinder
You can make a "modified Z bend" as tight as you want:

(2 min 29 sec)
Last edited by springer; Jun 21, 2019 at 08:06 AM.
Jun 20, 2019, 11:13 PM
flyin' fool
Or …………….. https://www.google.ca/search?source=...=1561090331303
Jun 21, 2019, 08:58 AM
Retired CAD guy
Search the net using ...
Z-Bend Pliers
Jun 21, 2019, 06:17 PM
OR ?? Use bamboo toothpicks as control horns and Heat shrink tubing as the connector hinge. No more need for difficult bends
Jun 21, 2019, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
You can make a "modified Z bend" as tight as you want:

Ahhh this second video is what I had seen before but forgotten how to do...
Thanks!
Jun 21, 2019, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
OR ?? Use bamboo toothpicks as control horns and Heat shrink tubing as the connector hinge. No more need for difficult bends
I don't think that will hold up on the Polaris... apparently she moves at approx 60 wot though I plan to not fly that fast.
Jun 21, 2019, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Thanks for this one too !
Jun 23, 2019, 06:02 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Springer , thanks , we’ve used that method for many years now and never had a failure … some planes very fast …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 23, 2019, 08:23 AM
treefinder
I probably learned it from you! So many guys asked about it, and it is way easier to show than tell, figured the vid was worth it.
Jun 23, 2019, 09:22 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
It's not obvious to me that the tool makes a better bend than needle nose pliers. And is just another thing for me to lose track of. And doesn't make a particularly narrow bend so not sure it's applicable to the OPs request. But it is kinda neat.

I've seen the side-bend Z before but never saw much need for it. But I hadn't thought it through. I usually use Z on one end and EZ on the other, but the other day I wanted to remove a pushrod only to realize it was trapped by a guide, the servo was recessed, and I couldn't remove the rod without tearing something up.

Occurs to me a double side-bend Z would release both ends without removing or disengaging the guide. Would probably be most reliable if I made them mirror image. Bend CW to disengage one end and CCW to disengage the other. Have to give that a try.

Quick Reply