Jun 20, 2019, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Do I have to learn to fly all over again?

So I got back in to flying last year after a 10 year hiatus. My dad taught me how to fly when I was 5... now I'm 39. I've been watching videos of guys flying 3d and I think to myself the only way I could ever learn is to completely change the way I was taught to hold the radio. I hold it in my hands with my thumbs on top of the sticks...this is all I have ever known. My question is can I learn to fly 3d like this or do I have to get a strap for the radio and hold the sticks with 2 fingers. And if it's the latter can I even learn to do it at this point??? I know if there is a chance the best way to do it will be on the computer.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Joe Colavita
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2019, 07:38 PM
Strap is NOT a requirement to fly 3D.

3D is about control. If you can control the plane to the degree necessary with your thumb on top of the sticks, by all means go for it! Don't let anyone tell you that you have to do this or that. It's about FLYING THE PLANE!

Plenty of patience, and loads of stick time, way more important than anything else.
Jun 20, 2019, 07:45 PM
Old's Cool
That is how I hold my radio, but I usually use a strap. If my recollection is correct, Jase "The Ace" flies with thumbs as well and he is one of the best there is in 3D. Bottom line, no need to change anything. Get yourself a 32" Twisted Hobbys foamy and just go for it.
Jun 20, 2019, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys that gives me some hope. I know I will never be able to do a fraction of what Jase can do but a rolling harrier would be fun to learn.

I just ordered the Wargo MXS from HK. That will be my beater for practicing on for now. I will look in to that plane as well.
Jun 20, 2019, 10:00 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by microracer24
I hold it in my hands with my thumbs on top of the sticks...this is all I have ever known.
That's how I do it. I wear a strap just as a safety measure, but I don't rely on it.

Quote:
My question is can I learn to fly 3d like this or do I have to get a strap for the radio and hold the sticks with 2 fingers.
Nah. Get a good plane and an experienced 3D pilot to help you, Then just go fly.

Quote:
I know if there is a chance the best way to do it will be on the computer.
Not a bad idea. Most of us have sims anyway.
Jun 20, 2019, 10:10 PM
Joe,

Let me echo Doc's comments because apart from Doc's online coaching and what I gleamed from the RC Groups I am 3D self taught. Also I am a thumb flyer and it works for me.

A couple of things.

Firstly the sim is about to become your best friend. This is a no brainer.

Definitely consider some sport flying first. I skipped this bit and paid for it in crashing. Albeit in my case I came from high speed electric pylon/high speed flying wings and paid the price for not learning how to use a rudder. This article of Doc's will be a great help,

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...rt-pilots.html

Once you have mastered that you can get into 3D. I would strongly recommend the following and in this order,

*TH Crack Yak 32" - A great teacher and a great load of fun.
*Future model 38" Edge - The halfway house between foam and balsa.
*EF or 3DHS Edge 48" - Your first balsa plane.

This article of Doc's will be a great help,

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...ide-to-3d.html

Good luck and you are going to have a blast.

All the Best

Danny
Jun 21, 2019, 04:13 AM
Stand by here come banana
Bonedoc youtube vids, the better Doc!!

Best to learn 3d on the fly!!!
Jun 21, 2019, 06:05 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by microracer24
Thanks guys that gives me some hope. I know I will never be able to do a fraction of what Jase can do but a rolling harrier would be fun to learn.

I just ordered the Wargo MXS from HK. That will be my beater for practicing on for now. I will look in to that plane as well.
The Wargo MXS, with his hollow fuselage, is not a beater. Among the Wargo planes, the Wargo YAK 55 is a true beater.

Holding the Tx is a negligible aspect of flying, compare to sight, procedural memory and reflexes. Have fun !
Last edited by fauconnier; Jun 21, 2019 at 06:17 AM.
Jun 21, 2019, 08:58 AM
Registered Foam Abuser
I fly with thumb on left hand and two fingers on right hand. I feel that using only thumbs gives you more freedom of movement. I wish I flew with only thumbs.
Jun 21, 2019, 09:51 AM
Team Extreme Flight
If you are budgeting, you can get a used Real Flight G3.5 simulator for about $50. If you don't mind spending the money, Realflight G8 is supposed to be really nice, but I don't think you need it. The only advantage to the newer sims is they have better planes, but you can download almost anything you desire at the Knife Edge Swap Pages

I make all my planes on G3.5 planes. That way, if you own any generation of Realflight, you can fly my planes. I've made most of the Extreme Flight and 3DHS planes..................... http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...s&userid=38513

The latest is the new 3DHS Velox.......

Jun 21, 2019, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Wow I really appreciate all the feedback guys! As far as experience I think I am pretty good when it comes to pattern/sport flying. I'm still getting comfortable with certain aspects due to my time away from the hobby but I feel more and more comfortable every time I get up there. I wish I could get more stick time but last year was tough between all the rain and president Trump spending so much time here in Jersey. This year has been the same in regards to rain... My other issue is the lack of people in my club. We have 2 fields and the one closest to my house is always empty. Just my dad and me every week. That and the average age of the club is probably 65 and I think only a couple fly 3d at the other field. If anyone knows of a good club close to the North Jersey area I would love to check it out!
Jun 21, 2019, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
If you are budgeting, you can get a used Real Flight G3.5 simulator for about $50. If you don't mind spending the money, Realflight G8 is supposed to be really nice, but I don't think you need it. The only advantage to the newer sims is they have better planes, but you can download almost anything you desire at the Knife Edge Swap Pages

I make all my planes on G3.5 planes. That way, if you own any generation of Realflight, you can fly my planes. I've made most of the Extreme Flight and 3DHS planes..................... http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...s&userid=38513

The latest is the new 3DHS Velox.......

I have the 64" MXS in the Baby Metal scheme. What an amazing aircraft! I just wish I could fly it to it's capabilities. That said it is a fun sport flyer even if that's not it's intended purpose.
Jun 21, 2019, 04:55 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
A strap isn't a necessity but it makes flying a lot easier. It's a little weird for the first few hours of flying if you haven't used one before but once you learn not to hold the radio up with your arms anymore it lets you focus more of your motor control on working the sticks and less on holding the radio out in front of you.

Thumbing is fine. I used to feel self conscious about it as a few of my peers at the club said that was a bad habit. I fly better than them now and seeing Jase just use thumbs made me realize it doesn't matter how you hold the radio, whatever is most comfortable for you is the right way.

I think there are weaknesses in either technique that need to be made up with by practicing and the neither is going to give you an advantage.

Get a strap, get a 32 inch foamie, get a handful of batteries, and fly as much as you can.
Jun 21, 2019, 09:18 PM
Thumbs only on top of sticks,no expo....I am 69 and flying 3D keeps brain and reflexes sharp...Just messing around in this vid....Like others here have said ,get a plane and just fly
Crack Yak Lite flying 100mph (3 min 4 sec)
Last edited by dalecheek1; Jun 21, 2019 at 09:25 PM.
Jun 21, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Nice flying Dale! Can you tell me your setup?

Quick Reply