Mar 25, 2001, 05:11 PM
Thread OP

Mini IFO motor burnout

ARRGHHH !

Okay, so I flew it four times last week when it was new. During the week, I managed to get the required exp. dialled into the computer radio, along with some more realistic dual rates.

First flight this week, the motor burns out! One two hour slot every Sunday is my only chance to fly, and within a few seconds of flight, the motor says ta-ta !

I don't know whether I should go for the upgraded wind motor with Ballraced gearbox, or go totally mad and get the 1624 Coreless motor/11.8:1 gearbox. Either way I want to continue with just the same 8 x 110mAh cells.

Does anyone else use the upgraded motor sets ? I would prefer to hear some experience before forking out 35 on a coreless solution.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2001, 05:48 PM
Bio,

One of my clubmates tried out the uprated motor with ballraces on Saturday - significant improvement over the B motor. However, I note that the motor packaging suggests 4 to 6 cells. We are generally using 7 cells without any motor burnouts yet. Maybe the 8 cells is just pushing it?

BTW, I got my Mini IFO finished with minutes to spare before the flying session on Saturday, did a final check on the radio and realised I had CA'd the elevon hinge when I put the wing tip skids on!!!!!

After a lot of cursing, I went to the session anyway and last night I cut the hinge tube off and cleaned up the TE rod. I cut a new piece of tube, split it down one side, clipped it over the TE, wrapped it with Sellotape and re-bound the end of the elevon. It's all ready now, but no hall until next Saturday.
Mine weighs 150gms.

Mike Smart
Mar 26, 2001, 04:22 AM
Thread OP
150g with how many cells ?

Mine can out @ 155g with 8 110mAh Cells.
Mar 26, 2001, 05:10 AM
Bio, if you use a coreless motor then you are meant to use a 'high rate' ESC to avoid damaging the motor. I spoke to the guys at ANSA (UK IFO distributors) about this last week when ordering my Mini IFO. The 125 khz ESC they sell (can't remember what make) is 45, the 133 khz JMP HF9 one (from WES/RCS Technik) is about 44. Apart from stopping the motor from burning out, these high rate ESCs are supposed to be more efficient as well ... so you should get a slightly longer run time.

But, I'm sure there are people who use standard ESCs and haven't had a problem so far.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Mar 26, 2001, 05:24 AM
Bio,

7No 250mAh 2/3 AAA.

Mike
Mar 26, 2001, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
I saw that in the documentation. I think I might just go for the BB raced version instead...
Mar 26, 2001, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Mike - thats pretty heavy for seven cells. You'll probably have to go full bore for most of the flight.

I would order a new motor - IF ANSA would ANSA the &*%* phone !!!

Mar 26, 2001, 07:04 AM
The guys I spoke to at ANSA said they were unbelievably busy at the moment ... not surprising really. They are there reasonably late, I rang about 6:30 pm.
Mar 26, 2001, 07:06 AM
Bio,

Judging by the performance of a 200gm Pico Stik on the same cells, I think I will be OK.
Don't forget that I am using Nicads and not NiMH.

Mike

PS, you can get the GWS motors from mosts decent model shops, not just ANSA!

[This message has been edited by Mike Smart (edited 03-26-2001).]
Mar 26, 2001, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
I got through to ANSA.

Guess what, they no longer stock the standard motor and gearbox for the mini-IFO as they kept burning out !!! They now supply the Deluxe version as standard. (3 more expensive ).

They were told by the suppliers that the standard motor was fine with 8 cells, when obviously it isn't. Apparently loads of people have been contacting them regarding motor burnout on the mini IFO. The new wind motor with the BB Raced gearbox is okay with 8 cells +.

They're now shipping me a new motor, although the cost is still a question. It may be a free replacement, as they are questioning if the supplied part was good for purpose. Remember, their documentation states it should be used with 8 110mAh cells, so no fault lies with the consumer, especially when you use their supplied ESC.

Mar 26, 2001, 09:40 AM
They didn't tell me that last week! What about you Bill?

Mike
Mar 26, 2001, 10:02 AM
I only got the airframe from ANSA - they did ask what motor/esc/servos/rx I was going to use, but I'd already ordered those from RCS Technik.
Mar 26, 2001, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
Mike -I'd get in touch with them if you have the non-BB Raced version. You should be able to get a straight swap.
Mar 26, 2001, 12:18 PM
Are you gents speaking of the GWS motors? If so, the BB DX will burn out just as quickly as the STD on 8 cells.Best Regards
Mar 26, 2001, 03:03 PM
RV
RV
Bio,

From what I've read the DX windings draw less current for the same voltage and will therefore stand a slightly higher voltage. They also have stronger magnets. I wouldn't go above 8 cells unless you are using 5o mAh batterys (short durations) and in any case I would keep the flights short and allow things to cool off in between.
Taking the screws out of the front and fitting a heatsink will help apparently.
So far mine is ok but only time will tell.

Quick Reply