Jun 28, 2019, 02:05 AM
Low budget fun
My pleasure. Hit me up again if you have any further questions.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2019, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Hey Beaver,

So I have installed the Kyosho front oneway differential and PN Racing swing arms (with Kyosho stock bearings). The install seemed to go fine but now it has broken in, I have an issue. The front right side works perfectly, but the front left side doesnít. The front left side stops at the same time as the rear tires, but the right side will still roll. Something is wrong, but I donít know if itís the swing arm, or one of the bearings?

I want to have a game plan before I take the car apart again, but I donít know what I should be looking for? Any tips are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 07, 2019, 01:28 AM
Low budget fun
It's common for both wheels to not stop at the same time but at least they should roll forward.
Check wheel tightness first. The you can drop some oil in to the swing arm joint, clean it before putting it back. And drop some oil in to one way tube too.
Jul 07, 2019, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
I made sure to drop some lube in the oneway diff. tube and made sure the bearings were cleaned and oiled prior to installing. I did notice that one of the swing arms was a little stiff, it did not want to rotate freely in its socket. I tried to oil the swing arm joint but it did not make much of a difference. Do you think a stiff swing arm would hinder the the wheel rotation?

Should I order a new set of swing arms, or do you think the the current arm will break in over time and start to move freely?

Jul 07, 2019, 02:17 PM
Low budget fun
Stiff swing arm can cause the wheel to not spin freely and shake but if you oiled it then it should be free enough to spin.
Try moving the one way by hand and see if there's any difference between 2 sides.
Jul 08, 2019, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Hey Beaver,

There is definitely a difference between the two sides when rotating by hand. The left side feels like it has some resistance, where as the right side will spin freely. I have tried to loosen the wheel nuts, but that did not make a difference.

I am thinking I will switch the front swing arms with my rear swing arms, since I have a solid rear axel. It shouldnít matter since the rear solid axel will make the two rear swing arms & tires rotate at the same rate right? Or is there something I am missing?

Jul 09, 2019, 01:09 AM
Low budget fun
Exactly what you thought. Stiff arm won't matter at the rear.
Jul 09, 2019, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks again man, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply! It has been extremely helpful to bounce my ideas off you, it gives me some piece of mind that you agree since I have very little experience with RC. This is the first time I have ever upgraded a car myself.

I will switch the swing arms, front and back, and report back with my results.

Jul 21, 2019, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Success! I got the oneway differential working and Iím still using the original set of PN swing arms. Turns out I just needed to clean the swing arms and reoil everything. The stiff swing arm seems to have worn in, and I just needed to clean out the debris. Both wheels are spinning very freely, and the oneway diff is working perfectly.

I made this video documenting my process of figuring out what was wrong. I recently started a YouTube channel dedicated my Mini-Z, I only have a few videos but I upload a new video every week. I plan to make a bunch more videos about Mini-z AWD, in particular the MA-020s since there are very few videos about this car.

Diagnosing Front Oneway Differential Issue & Fix Mini-Z AWD MA-020s (20 min 51 sec)
Jul 22, 2019, 03:20 PM
Low budget fun
Following to see what you will do with this car.
I'm still waiting for MA030 though. Hopefully they will make a normal version and not EVO only.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:07 PM
MA-020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver_XT
Following to see what you will do with this car.
I'm still waiting for MA030 though. Hopefully they will make a normal version and not EVO only.
Is there a benefit of having an Evo brushless version over the brushed version?
Sep 17, 2019, 02:08 AM
Low budget fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auranapse
Is there a benefit of having an Evo brushless version over the brushed version?
Brushless is much faster and at the same motor spec it will be more efficient so you'll get longer run time.
However they give you super powerful motor like 8500KV on MA030 so don't expect anything else apart from the car is faster than brushed version.

EVO is the series that you can install a receiver of your choice providing you use some hi-end stuff like Futaba 4PM, 7PX, Flysky Noble NB4 or standard Mini-Z stuffs like KT531P. KT18 transmitter also works but it has some random problems so if you want to use ASF transmitter go with at least EX5UR.

If you choose standard RTR version with brushed motor and FHSS radio, you can only upgrade the transmitter to KT432PT.
For an older RTR with FHS radio, there're Flysky options for transmitter upgrade but the board is not very good so you can't use powerful motor.

Chassis are the same with minor differences to accommodate different circuit boards.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
I believe that the Evo series also has a much better servo & response time, all around they seem to be much better cars over the brushed or sports series. With a programmable transmitter you can change the throttle curve & limit the top end, so it will be similar to a brushed car but with better run time & less heat.

@Beaver_XT do you think Kyosho will be releasing a MA-030VE Pro version, or have you heard anything? I want to pick up a 030 soon, but it will be a major investment since I will need to get a new controller plus the receiver. Idk if I should just wait for the Pro version, or if I should get the current 030 before they are out of stock everywhere.
Sep 19, 2019, 03:20 PM
Low budget fun
From the brochure, yes, EVO supposedly has better servo response.
But I doubt it has different motor and pot because from what I see they still use same part numbers.
The response between the car and transmitter however is noticeable. That's probably what "better response" refers to. And yes, programmable transmitter helps a lot too.

The hi-end Mini-Z is now EVO series because of interchangeable receiver. Basically, EVO is the new Pro. So if you want it, either grab it now or wait for a new batch but I don't know if they will make it again or ever.
There're quite a lot of horror stories about MA030 EVO right now. Shoddy soldering job, brittle wires, brittle chassis (well, it's the same chassis as FWD but with 2-3 times the power so I'm not surprised), howling servo motor, need ICS to tune and fix a lot of problems.
Anyway, if you buy EVO or VE Pro for that matter, you'll need ICS adapter as well. But MA030EVO at the moment seems to have more problems beside the standard tuning.
Overall the problems are not serious. They are mostly annoyance and something you wouldn't expect from a "pro" level car from reputable company.
Last edited by Beaver_XT; Sep 19, 2019 at 03:25 PM.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:12 PM
MA-020
Hopefully they'll get those issues sorted out, I myself was also looking into the 030. Looks like I'm going to be sucked deep into this hobby xD

Sadly there's no drifting scene here in my country, only 1 small group of RWD grip racers who join PNWC. Wish I was staying in Japan/Thailand, would join all the clubs

Anyways, I found a unmodified MA-010 online for around 80 USD, is it worth the price? :O

Quick Reply