Jun 20, 2019, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Alert

MA-020s upgrade part compatibility with MA-010

Hey guys,

So i just ordered my MA-020s, and I canít wait to test it out to see how it drifts stock. I have already started researching upgrades but I am starting to get confused. Most websites donít list upgrade parts specific to the MA-020, instead they will be under the ma-010 or just listed under AWD. This leaves me wondering what parts fit AWD mini-z universally? I have spent a few days googling/researching but I canít find any definitive information regarding the compatibility for ma-020 & ma-010.

I am mostly concerned about the front one way differential & solid rear axel, but I would like to know about the other upgrade parts as well. Like aluminum top plates for the front and rear differentials, aluminum motor heat sinks, aluminum battery clips, toe bars, shock stays... Iím just not sure what will fit my MA-020s, I want to eventually bling it out with as many aluminum parts as possible.

Also, is Kyosho the only reliable upgrade company? I have seen some people complain about qc issues from other brands

Thank you for any info you can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2019, 05:04 PM
Low budget fun
Most of stuffs are universal for MA chassis except front parts for MA020 like spring and knuckle.
- The front gearbox cover is also different between MA010/015 and MA020 because of the suspension assembly.
- Rear toe bar is universal but depend on what type of chassis you use, standard kingpin or DWS. Presumably you have the standard one. DWS is pretty rare and you can only get it with the chassis if you buy VE Pro or something like that.
- All differentials are the same across AWD and FWD. You might need 6x8mm shims to make the diff fit perfectly though.
- Swing shafts (CVD), recommended upgrade, are also the same providing you use narrow chassis for MA020. But seriously, does anyone make it wide?

Check out Eagle Racing. They make a lot of aluminium stuffs especially for 020.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...ma020&_sacat=0

Nowadays I don't see much stuff from X-power but you can check it out anyway.
http://x-powerrc.com/

Atomic still make some hop ups for AWD too. http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...3d9f7623ecafdd

3Racing is the source for cheap and cheerful parts. Quality is rather good especially the springs are cheap and good too. https://www.3racing-parts.com/kyosho...1_593_649.html

ps. Actually you can get FWD chassis and covert it to AWD and get to play MA030 before it's officially on sale. However some extra parts are needed and as of now they are not that easy to come by.
Last edited by Beaver_XT; Jun 20, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Jun 21, 2019, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the reply Beaver! Your YouTube channel inspired me to look into micro car drifting & upgrading, but since I do not have skills like you, I chose Mini-z instead of DIY budget option.

So my first round of upgrades will focus on getting the car to drift better. I am thinking front one way diff, solid rear axel, new front and rear springs, and of course increasing the stock gearing as much as possible. The car says it comes with drift tires, so I will try those to begin with, but do you recommend upgrading tires?

Also, the MA-020s says it comes with full bearings, but do these need upgrading? I have seen some aftermarket bearings but they donít look like an upgrade, I havenít seen any ceramic bearings? Do they make ceramic bearings for mini-z AWD?

Sorry for all the questions, but Iím new to mini-z. My car is set to arrive tomorrow morning, and I just spent an hour cleaning my kitchen floor for drifting lol Canít wait!!

Jun 22, 2019, 12:10 AM
Low budget fun
Kyosho tyres that come with the car are already great. The tyres upgrade is for when you need to change the drifting speed on various surfaces.
If you don't want to drive normally again you can lock the stock diff by pulling the drive cups straight out and drop some glue in it to the diff without having to open it up. This will save a bit for not having to buy sold axle. The difficult part is you have to stick the cup in very precisely in to the notch inside by feel.

MA02 seems to come with all bearings so you won't need to upgrade.
In case if it comes with plastic bushing the wheel hub bearings are 3x6x2mm. If you want hi-end ball bearings, try PN Racing. http://www.kenonhobby.com
I think I've seen ceramic mini bearings somewhere but can't find it now.

Have fun!
Jun 24, 2019, 11:56 AM
Thread OP

MA-020s upgrade part compatibility with MA-010

Ok so I have drifted a few battery cycles and this thing is awesome! A lot of fun, but skills are not so good. I have a very hard time transitioning, and getting the rear end to flick out.

I think a oneway front diff. will help a lot, but is there anything else I should do to the front end right I now? How does an angled tie rod influence the steering? I want to get an aluminum tie rod to help make steering more ridged, but I donít know if I should get the zero degree, or a positive or negative one?

Jun 24, 2019, 04:30 PM
Low budget fun
Yes, once you got one way you can flick the car much easier.
For the tie rod make it out at the front, which is negative... I'm pretty sure it's negative. Well, it's negative on 3Racing anyway. Try -1 or -2.
Anyway, front wheels should point outward and rear either stay 0 or 1 degree in.
Jun 24, 2019, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Thank you again Beaver! So basically I want the front tires to point out? Does that give me more steering angel? And then by having the rear tires point in, it increases the oversteer?

Sorry for all the questions, but Iím trying to understand how the car functions and how slight changes can influence the steering characteristics. So basically you want to get the car to oversteer as much as possible for a drift set up?

Jun 25, 2019, 06:34 AM
Low budget fun
Yes, you want the front to point out and rear to be parallel with the chassis. Rear toe in can make the car slide easier but sometimes it upset the car's balance too much and ended up being too difficult to straighten up again especially when you want to do transition.
I suggest rear to point in slightly because some chassis when the car squats or runs the toe wheels will be pushed back to 0.
Basically you want the front to grip and rear to slip to oversteer or drift.

You can also read the setup guide from X-Power. They have an amazing setup manual with all the details.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e7u09lsm7...5CAT4HevE23drw
Jun 26, 2019, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Hello Beaver, thank you again! I have been reading up on the link you sent above and it has been incredibly helpful for understanding tuning 1:28 rc

So I have placed order for a Kyosho brand front one way diff, and solid rear axle. But I have a question, do I need bearings to get the one way to work properly? I have seen some videos where it looks like the front one way is not working properly, when they hit the trigger to accelerate and then release, the front tires stop at the same time as the rear tires? But other videos show that the front wheels keep spinning when the back wheels stop?

Is there anything I need to do to ensure the one way diff allows the front tires to rotate freely? I ordered Kyosho brand in the hopes QC is better and the differential rotates freely, but I am concerned. Do these need a break in before they rotate freely, or do they need bearings?

This is a link to the video, at 1:08 he tryís to demonstrate the front one way, but it looks like it dosent work?
Wltoys K989 1 28 Rc Drift Project EP10 Sinohobby Mini Q One Way Diff Explained and Test Drive (6 min 20 sec)

Jun 26, 2019, 05:37 PM
Low budget fun
Sinohobby FOW is a bit sticky out off the box. Either way you'll need to drop some oil in to the tube (there're one way bearings inside) so both wheels have the same resistance and the one way bearing grab the wheels.

The outside diff bearings don't have any effect on the wheels. You don't need new ones. Just take them out of your original diff and put them on the one way.

Hopefully original Kyosho parts won't need any 6x8mm shim. I have to shim FOW from both Sinohobby and 3Racing, also all the diffs from Eagle Racing.
Jun 26, 2019, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the tip, so 6x8mm is the correct size for shimming? I will be sure to put some light oil in the one way to make sure itís free.

I have never shimmed anything, and it makes me kinda nervous, but I want to make this little beauty runs very well.

Jun 26, 2019, 11:54 PM
Low budget fun
Yes, 6x8 is for the diff. I'm not sure if you saw this video yet because I rebuild the whole car and also shim it. Diffs are the same, wheels are the same.
Mini-Q TRQ1 | How To Build Ultimate Budget RC Drift (17 min 20 sec)
Jun 27, 2019, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for linking the video, I have watched the differential install/shimming a couple times and I am feeling more confident. I just need to get some shims. Iím still concerned about getting the correct gear mesh, or potentially striping gears, but learning is part of the hobby right? Iím pretty excited to get the new differentials installed!

I have one last question and then I promise Iíll stop bugging you. Regarding the ďuniversal swing armsĒ how can you tell if it is for the narrow or wide set up? I want to upgrade the swing arms, but I canít tell if these are for a narrow chassis or a wide one? The product description does not say if it is wide or narrow: https://www.3racing-parts.com/kyosho...-10002167.html

I believe these are the arms that you used in your video and said have a better fit.

Jun 27, 2019, 04:00 PM
Low budget fun
If it doesn't say or said it's for MA010 then it's narrow.
The 3Racing is for narrow chassis.

For now the only cat that can do wide chassis is MA020 (and later MA030).
You can see at the front of the chassis there's a letter N or W to indicate what setup you are using.
You don't have to worry because all MA020 comes with narrow config. Wide parts are option that you have to buy extra.
Jun 27, 2019, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Thank you again, you have been so helpful! I really appreciate all of your replies & time!

Quick Reply