Jul 12, 2019, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
Added 1/16 bracing in place of the 3/32 sheeting would have gone in the center section of the wing. This raises the area to the same level as the leading edge that will get 1/16 sheeting.

Name: 20190712_100507.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 1.62 MB
Description:

Name: 20190712_100519.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 1.57 MB
Description:

Gluing the LE with titebond II. Probably overkill to hold it down with BBs and tape. But I've done this part poorly in the past and I want a solid bond this time.
Name: 20190712_152342.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 1.46 MB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2019, 10:43 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Overkill can be good, with all Titebond type glues you get better bond strength if it's firmly clamped while curing so your method is fine. I have cloth bags full of aquarium gravel and I pile them up for gluing situations like that. Better to be sure it's definitely held in the right place
Jul 13, 2019, 08:07 AM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameengineer
Hmmm, old servos, plastic gears, possible failure point. I soldered on hitec style connectors swapping + and - wires and they work but probably not going to trust them. I have some replacement servos.
Probably nothing wrong with the servos. They're better than what was considered normal for a couple of decades.
Jul 13, 2019, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
Overkill can be good, with all Titebond type glues you get better bond strength if it's firmly clamped while curing so your method is fine. I have cloth bags full of aquarium gravel and I pile them up for gluing situations like that. Better to be sure it's definitely held in the right place
Aquarium gravel, that's a cheaper solution than bbs. My son gave me these. I need to find good cloth bags. Maybe cornhole game bags with gravel. I'm trying to add to my building supplies as I go. I used books and magazines before but I like the bags of aggregate better.
The wing sheeting was much easier for me this time because of the wood glue. Had plenty of time to apply and adjust.
Jul 13, 2019, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
Probably nothing wrong with the servos. They're better than what was considered normal for a couple of decades.
Regarding the Eagle 2 I presume. I will give them a shot and keep an eye on them after flights to check for issues. I can replace them after summer. Thanks for the advice.
Jul 13, 2019, 04:49 PM
A man with a plan
They tend to fail due to a crash. I'm a long time user of cheap servos, and I've never had one fail just because it was plastic and I was using it.
Jul 14, 2019, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Aquarium gravel, that's a cheaper solution than bbs. My son gave me these. I need to find good cloth bags. Maybe cornhole game bags with gravel. I'm trying to add to my building supplies as I go. I used books and magazines before but I like the bags of aggregate better.
The wing sheeting was much easier for me this time because of the wood glue. Had plenty of time to apply and adjust.
My sister sewed my bags up for me out of leftover material from making her curtains. But just about anything will do. I have 12 x 6" and some 6 x 6" bags, not tightly packed so I can make the mould to any shape. They've been very good for my hobby work and didn't cost much.
Jul 16, 2019, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
Name: 20190715_212838.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 1.36 MB
Description:
Name: 20190715_212906.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 1.76 MB
Description:
Name: 20190715_212847.jpg
Size: 1.23 MB
Description:
Completed top of left wing sheeting. Needs sanding. Working on servo bay and starting the right wing.
Last edited by Gameengineer; Jul 16, 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Jul 17, 2019, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
My sister sewed my bags up for me out of leftover material from making her curtains. But just about anything will do. I have 12 x 6" and some 6 x 6" bags, not tightly packed so I can make the mould to any shape. They've been very good for my hobby work and didn't cost much.
We used to have a sewing machine and believe it or not I sort of knew how to use it! I could probably hand sew some bags but I' pretty certain there are bags out there ready for "stuffing" so I don't need to. I think empty cornhole bags could work.
Jul 17, 2019, 07:57 PM
Dinosaur
Wide masking tape always sufficed for me.

Tom
Jul 17, 2019, 11:37 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Not much activity to post. I did do some to the wing but not enough to post. My attention has been diverted to more low hanging fruit which is the CG Eagle 2 I recently got and am restoring to be able to fly soon.

Hmmm, old servos, plastic gears, possible failure point. I soldered on hitec style connectors swapping + and - wires and they work but probably not going to trust them. I have some replacement servos.
Attachment 12282175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
They tend to fail due to a crash. I'm a long time user of cheap servos, and I've never had one fail just because it was plastic and I was using it.
Agreed! For sport planes plastic geared servos are more than enough if sized to the plane. 40oz+ torque servos are fine up to sport .60 planes.

Those 94102's are pretty bullet proof. I've been flying Airtronics since the 80's and those servos are a staple in my hoard. I've been flying some for the past 30 years in a .40 beater pattern ship and they're still working great. I think they'd be perfect for a trainer. You'll want to check them out for abuse but if still tight, (the output shaft doesn't rock excessively) they should be good to go. You'll want to replace the aged mounting grommets though.

Mike
Jul 18, 2019, 09:07 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
There's one major advantage for plastic/composite geared servos over metal gear servos, they do not wear as quickly and thus you will not get gear lash developing as quickly over time.

Metal gears are better when you expect to take significant surface loads, as they are more robust, but they will wear much quicker and gearsets become a regular maintenance item after a few years.
Jul 18, 2019, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
There's one major advantage for plastic/composite geared servos over metal gear servos, they do not wear as quickly and thus you will not get gear lash developing as quickly over time.

Metal gears are better when you expect to take significant surface loads, as they are more robust, but they will wear much quicker and gearsets become a regular maintenance item after a few years.
Can that be improved with high quality lubricants maybe?
Jul 18, 2019, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Nice, the consensus appears to be to keep the airtronics servos. That's better on the budget! I didn't want to spend a lot on this trainer to restore it (although I replaced the engine). I got the old engine to free up with a glycol soak but the carb was toast. I could have just replaced the carb and I still might but the new engine from ebay was too good of a deal to pass up. I really cannot detect any or much of any backlash on the gears. They feel very tight. I did replace the aileron servo with a new HS-485. I replaced the clevis' because they were very brittle and all of them shattered when pulling them open.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:55 AM
Thread OP
Finished the servo bay. I epoxied 2-56 blind nuts and epoxies the pre-cut door mounts of basswood. The screws are 2-56 slotted which In am not a fan of so I'll replace them with cap head screws.

This is the underside of the left wing.

Name: 20190720_170210.jpg
Size: 1.54 MB
Description:
Name: 20190720_200154.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 1.34 MB
Description:
Name: 20190720_200144.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 1.28 MB
Description:
Name: 20190720_200147.jpg
Size: 1.62 MB
Description:

Still need to sand. Next up is the start of the right wing.

Quick Reply